A Board index Chat Box.

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Re: A Board index Chat Box.

Postby Lysdestic » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Couldn't a post limit be put in place? Say, no chatbox unless a user has > 10 posts or so?

I'm neutral on the idea of a chatbox, but if people want it, I don't think that the potential for spam is enough of a reason to nix the idea.
f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:22 pm

amak11 wrote:Asskickulator, PS forums: 323 members, FoF-FF: 249021 <-- big number difference. Going back to my main example with the Guitar Zero forums. A chatbox is a spambox waiting to happen. With as many as 10 - 2000 + active members a month here it would be filled with spam and people whining and complaining cause they didnt get help. Chatboxes are just one of the features are good if you have a small forum.

ok fine then, find anyone of those anime websites with a chatbox that have a thousand people or so on them at a time, those don't get spammed constantly. It doesn't matter the size, it matters about the matureity of the forum, which admittedly may not be so high here, but you won't know unless you tried it.

And i refuse to let this turn into another 2 page arguement with you /Done/

-- Edit: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:23 pm --

Lysdestic wrote:Couldn't a post limit be put in place? Say, no chatbox unless a user has > 10 posts or so?

I'm neutral on the idea of a chatbox, but if people want it, I don't think that the potential for spam is enough of a reason to nix the idea.

and actually this idea pretty much would fix amaks concerns.
Image Image
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:43 pm

Amak you know as well as anyone that most of the users on this site are leeches, there won't be hundreds of people chatting in this at once.

Also, I've had a hell of a time getting into IRC over the years. The flash based clients never worked for me and when mIRC's trial ran out I couldn't find a good alternative IRC client. I even tried pirating mIRC and then decided it was too big of a hassle.

Also, and I'm probably going to be the only active member with this opinion, but I know that a lot of past members will agree, the IRC is run like a god damn prison. You guys have your own arbitrary rules and filters that it turned something that should be fun into a mess of overmoderation that it's still shocking to me that anyone who wasn't a mod could actually be consistently active in it. I tried and it was fun for a few days, but after a week it was just frustrating to even look at it. I'd love to get a chat that was wholly unmoderated and equally ignorable.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:44 am

Edit (nwru): pointless arguing removed

Why not have a XAT chat?
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:56 am

amak11 wrote:Why not have a XAT chat?

Edit (nwru): pointless arguing removed

XAT? that's a horrible chat program, I'd rather chatango over that thing.
Image Image
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 pm

If we do decide to get a chat box i would position it at the bottom of the Index page above the Online Members Section.

For people that are saying that it would get spammed, that is a possibility but i think putting it at the bottom of the page would help. Then people wouldn't be reminded of it each time they go to the index page. They would actually have to scroll down the page to see, or even know that the chat is there.

The 10 post limit that Lysdestic suggested is also a very good idea that would help out with spam.
Developer of clone hero, and Former FoFiX developer
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Yeah but does the script allow that level of customization?
COUNTERPOINT

The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:48 am

Tis be possible for that level of customization i would think.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:29 pm

I dunno, I've used a forum that had a chatbox, and it absolutely sucked to load the page when I had terrible internet. The page went from taking ~35 seconds (Dial up) to about a minute and a half.

If there are users out there on limited bandwidth as well, it could siphon some of that up and cause overages and such.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:53 pm

Jama7301 wrote:I dunno, I've used a forum that had a chatbox, and it absolutely sucked to load the page when I had terrible internet. The page went from taking ~35 seconds (Dial up) to about a minute and a half.

If there are users out there on limited bandwidth as well, it could siphon some of that up and cause overages and such.

a simple option to turn it off would solve that issue.
Image Image
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:41 pm

Yeah but that option has to be already in the script. Dis ain't magic.
COUNTERPOINT

f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:42 am

oh.. I figured a forum as advanced as this one would already had an option to be able to hide a section.
Image Image
back from the dead
thebocaj

Postby thebocaj » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:26 am

Asskickulater wrote:oh.. I figured a forum as advanced as this one would already had an option to be able to hide a section.

What, like the User Map?
My Charts:
I · II · III · IV · V · VI · Clone Hero conversions
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:43 am

aander91 wrote:Dis ain't magic.
COUNTERPOINT

f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:10 pm

thebocaj wrote:
Asskickulater wrote:oh.. I figured a forum as advanced as this one would already had an option to be able to hide a section.

What, like the User Map?

yea excepr adding an option in the ucp to choose weather it hides it by default or shows it.
Image Image

Return to “Forum Talk”