Not authorized to send Private Messages?

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
back from the dead
thebocaj

Re: Not authorized to send Private Messages?

Postby thebocaj » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:57 am

aander91 wrote:Look, we're not trying to start some revolution, we'd just like for you to fill in the blanks before they get filled with rumors and guesses.

I'll do that for you, as I heard it all in the IRC.

First of all, it was raph who did it. He didn't say anything about the message-blocking, but the thread was closed for the "abusing a privelidge" stuff. And the bans were unrelated. His reasoning was basically "it's the start of summer and the mods will be too busy with other stuff to moderate, so I'll reduce the amount of moderation needed".

Now here's to hoping raph doesn't enter rage mode upon seeing this post. Maybe he didn't want it revealed and only said it because the only ones there other than the mods were me, amak and belis. I don't know.
My Charts:
I · II · III · IV · V · VI · Clone Hero conversions
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:50 pm

PMs are a privilege?
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
I have special eyes
Belisario93

Postby Belisario93 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:56 pm

vedicardi wrote:PMs are a privilege?

I'm pretty sure they are. Seeing as use of the forum in general is a privilege, it only makes sense that everything within the forum is a privilege as well. Regardless of whether or not you were in the wrong, the admins are the ones in control of the forum. If they feel you did something wrong, they can punish you as they see fit.

Also, you guys say you need warnings to ensure you don't do the same thing wrong again... seriously? It's pretty goddamn obvious that private messages are not meant to be publicly displayed, that posting useless crap (such as this bs) shouldn't be done, and being complete asses to everybody (like just about every post rapt0r has made) is not acceptable. Why you guys don't seem to understand that, I don't know.

thebocaj wrote:
aander91 wrote:Look, we're not trying to start some revolution, we'd just like for you to fill in the blanks before they get filled with rumors and guesses.

I'll do that for you, as I heard it all in the IRC.

First of all, it was raph who did it. He didn't say anything about the message-blocking, but the thread was closed for the "abusing a privelidge" stuff. And the bans were unrelated. His reasoning was basically "it's the start of summer and the mods will be too busy with other stuff to moderate, so I'll reduce the amount of moderation needed".

I just wanted to clarify, he didn't ban people just because mod activity is lower in the summer. Those that were suspended were suspended with reason, though he wasn't really all that specific about it in the IRC. Which makes sense, that's information that really should only need to be between the offender and the staff.
dangit nobby
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Belisario93 wrote:(such as this bs)

That was a joke. Guess you'd have to know about Lil B to get it.

and being complete asses to everybody (like just about every post rapt0r has made) is not acceptable.

When is raptor an ass? Sorry, but having your facts straight is pretty important when posting on a forum. General bans to people who have done or might do something ban worthy is a diick move. Warns are plenty effective and arbitrary and unexplained bans just make people upset.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:06 pm

aander91 wrote:When is raptor an ass? Sorry, but having your facts straight is pretty important when posting on a forum. General bans to people who have done or might do something ban worthy is a diick move. Warns are plenty effective and arbitrary and unexplained bans just make people upset.

Stupid question eh. So all his post that belittle me, are him doing a favor for the forum? A civic service of sorts. His facts are pretty solid. Here's a situation: You're in school at recess. You start throwing rocks at a kid cause he/she called your dog stupid. The yard duty person (teacher or whatever) catches you. They have a choice, send you to the principals office where you could be suspended, or detention. What will you learn more from?
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:22 pm

...what?

Hold on.

Okay, I'm...speechless.

Okay, so...

Don't make this an Amak thread, I'm going to say one thing about this and please just leave it at that.

Raptor is always right. Not in opinions or ideas, but in the FACTS that he posts. If he makes a post and it is clearly serious, then it is almost always 100% accurate. The truth is that the man knows what he's talking about and if he doesn't, he makes sure that it is known or doesn't post.

Seriously, find me one of his recent posts (recent being earliest claim of raptors ass-dom) in which something he said was incorrect and where he didn't immediately state that he was wrong upon correction. You can't find it. The fact that he's right when others are wrong makes people mad. He's not the ass, it's the people who won't accept that they're wrong and move on who are the asses.

That said, your analogy is flawed since the accused are fully aware of their crime. It's more like a kid cheated on a test a few months ago, said a bad word a couple weeks ago, and was caught running in the halls with seven other students in the hall last Friday, then the kid and two others who were also running in the hall and one random kid get detention two weeks later.

How is the kid supposed to know what not to repeat if he isn't told?

I have two major concerns:

1. I was not told what I was punished for and am left to assume that it was related to the PM Diaries thread.

2. I did contributed to the thread in a manner that multiple others had MONTHS before me and these people were not punished.

I'm not saying that I want them punished, I'm just asking why you're letting something go for so long and then suddenly taking action on a select group of individuals.

But it may have nothing to do with this thread, and the fact that I'm being forced to speculate should be a red flag.
COUNTERPOINT

The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:35 pm

I was merely using myself as an example. But he does act in an ass-like manner towards members outside his group of trolls. Everyone has an opinion and they have the rights to have their own opinion. I dont think anyone cares how much Rapt0r or you guys are addicted to a few games, or how much (or how little) you actually know about the world. It's the internet. We are all different. I'll leave this issue here.

You were looking at my analogy all wrong. Look at the punishment side of things. You train a dog to not poop in the house by rubbing it's nose in it, as a form of punishment. i wouldn't yell at it to stop, it wont learn that way.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:03 pm

amak11 wrote:I was merely using myself as an example. But he does act in an ass-like manner towards members outside his group of trolls. Everyone has an opinion and they have the rights to have their own opinion. I dont think anyone cares how much Rapt0r or you guys are addicted to a few games, or how much (or how little) you actually know about the world. It's the internet. We are all different. I'll leave this issue here.

You were looking at my analogy all wrong. Look at the punishment side of things. You train a dog to not poop in the house by rubbing it's nose in it, as a form of punishment. i wouldn't yell at it to stop, it wont learn that way.

Once again you've managed to completely miss the point of my post. Are my posts unorganized and unfocused?

Anyway, I said just FACTS. Not opinions.

Not in opinions or ideas, but in the FACTS that he posts.

FACTS.

I dont think anyone cares how much Rapt0r or you guys are addicted to a few games, or how much (or how little) you actually know about the world. It's the internet. We are all different. I'll leave this issue here.

And I don't see how this is relevant at all. If you're having a discussion about something, usually it helps to use accurate facts. If we are having a discussion about a new game system, it would help to know what kind of hardware it uses before getting into a discussion about how it is going to revolutionize gaming forever.

I don't really understand why this is a difficult issue. When you are having a serious discussion anywhere, you discuss using facts as the basis of the discussion.

Can we drop the analogies? Dogs can't communicate with humans with the same depth that humans can to each other, so that point is completely moot. Plus the punishment was applied long after the crime was committed, so the punished is left to guess what the crime is.

Okay, I've literally said the same thing about thirteen different ways here.
COUNTERPOINT

I have special eyes
Belisario93

Postby Belisario93 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:15 pm

aander91 wrote:I did contributed to the thread in a manner that multiple others had MONTHS before me and these people were not punished.

That was something I brought up with raph as he was deleting it. It basically went untouched for the longest time because tibi figured it was okay (I was actually the one that reported it and he responded to the topic), but then months later, raph saw it and decided it wasn't. I will admit I find that a bit odd, but when all the mods/admins aren't active around the same times it's bound to happen.

raph's currently inactive, and I don't remember when he said he'd be back, but next time I see him in the irc, I'll be sure to try and get him to respond in here to get some of your questions answered.

Also, I don't have a problem with rapt0r being right, the way he goes about being right is where I have a problem. At times he can make it seem like you're a complete idiot because you didn't know a certain fact. I'd rather him be wrong all the time rather than be right and be a jerk about it. And then I guess it is a bit irritating that he's almost always right, though it makes the victories all the much more special (and I was going to use this to counter one of your points, but I forgot he said that he stood corrected).

The thought that he's probably looking at this makes me feel weird talking about him...

Oh, and in response to your response to my dislike of your "SWAG", my issue with stuff like that is it doesn't really contribute to the discussion. My standards for posting on forums are a bit high (I blame GTPlanet for that, their rules are strict as hell) so a lot of times gray areas don't look so gray to me. It may have been better to pick a post from estem for that example.
dangit nobby
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:10 am

There's really nothing in that post that would make me think raptor is an ass, even if you ignore his redaction.

What are you talking about? A PS2 cannot output higher than 480i. It's not possible. Hell, composite cables are only able to output 480p.

Seriously, people, this is what we find to be offensive? Are we really insulted by these kinds of posts?

I stand by what I said. Raptor proves that he knows what he's talking about, time and time again, and you guys take it personally for some reason.
COUNTERPOINT

Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:36 am

ITT: Whining -> bickering about Raptor

Got that out of your system? Good.

Locked.
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki

Return to “Forum Talk”