Tech Support and 'Other Games'

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Re: Tech Support and 'Other Games'

Postby Lysdestic » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:36 pm

God dammit, guys. Let people suggest it if they think it better suits the user. Jesus. The ability of this forum to make a big to do about some useless drivel never ceases to amaze me.

So long as you aren't being a douche about it, it's fair to point out Phase Shift. Should someone be obnoxious about it, report the post and move on. It isn't rocket science.

Phase Shift is moving at a good pace and adding lots of features, and despite my loyalty to the FoFiX crew, it would be foolish to not notice that and take advantage of it should it better suit the needs of a user.

To this day, the only thing that bums me about the whole ordeal is the fact that the teams never worked together when Phase Shift started, to develop an open source game that I could actually run on my computer. :(
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:50 pm

Oh well, it's a challenge i knew i would lose. FoFiX condition is a result of MFH and Alarian (I've done a ton reading through code). NOW, back on topic, Belisario93 made a good point (So did Lysdestic)
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:44 am

amak11 wrote:Oh well, it's a challenge i knew i would lose. FoFiX condition is a result of MFH and Alarian (I've done a ton reading through code). NOW, back on topic, Belisario93 made a good point (So did Lysdestic)

See this is what bothers me. You just spent the last two pages making stuff up and then you post stuff like this. This happens nearly every time you post.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
fatdog

Postby fatdog » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:06 am

i was avoiding this thread as it wasn't very constructive but it hit new levels of stupidity with the talk of performance so here are 1 or 2 words on the subject

performance was actually one of the key reasons i knew we had to start a new project, when we first started that was the focus, make a suitable engine that could support the game and run smoothly, if we couldn't meet that requirement then we wouldn't have carried on, but as it turns out we did

couple of years back i was running every revision of fofix always interested in seeing its progress and providing feedback, but the performance issues at the core of the program were always an ongoing problem, even back with the original fof releases, this is something that has always been there

i've personally run many tests looking into performance as I was trying to work out ways to improve the situation, the old threads are probably still around in the forum, its not even a matter of fps, you can run fofix at 120fps and still suffer performance issues, it says 120 but it doesn't look or feel like anything above 30, stuttering and glitches seemed to be an issue even when the game is showing a high framerate

then when the fofix betas added video backgrounds i launched a 4 player game with 3d notes and frets, medium quality video in the background and the game run at 2fps, and this was on a high end machine, im not sure how much optimisations have been added over the last year but at the time this pretty much said to me the future wasn't looking bright and time to do something about it

if you are happy to play single player with 2d graphics then you will run into minimal performance issues and fofix may perfectly fit your needs, but if you want to play multiplayer with 3d / video then theres a good chance you will have issues even on high end machines, or at least this was the case in the last version i ran that was about a year ago
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:57 am

aander91 wrote:
amak11 wrote:Oh well, it's a challenge i knew i would lose. FoFiX condition is a result of MFH and Alarian (I've done a ton reading through code). NOW, back on topic, Belisario93 made a good point (So did Lysdestic)

See this is what bothers me. You just spent the last two pages making stuff up and then you post stuff like this. This happens nearly every time you post.

I also dont feel the need to explain myself on anything, you dont, no one does. We've literally reached a crossroad in the community where we shouldnt be. You seem to think that im going out of my way to basically hurt PS, hell no im not. I sit in tech support a good portion of my day and when i see people say "Play Phase shift cause it supports this so much better". I get rather upset cause i could have had a solution worked up in a few minutes, if that solution doesnt work and they have tried all the options, then i normally suggest the alternatives. That's how you do proper tech support. It's never a quick fix

Regarding your knowledge of how much 'i make up' and whether you want to believe it is up to you. Guess what, welcome to the internet. Now get off your high horse (lady).
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:26 am

amak11 wrote:
aander91 wrote:

I also dont feel the need to explain myself on anything, you dont, no one does. We've literally reached a crossroad in the community where we shouldnt be. You seem to think that im going out of my way to basically hurt PS, hell no im not. I sit in tech support a good portion of my day and when i see people say "Play Phase shift cause it supports this so much better". I get rather upset cause i could have had a solution worked up in a few minutes, if that solution doesnt work and they have tried all the options, then i normally suggest the alternatives. That's how you do proper tech support. It's never a quick fix

Regarding your knowledge of how much 'i make up' and whether you want to believe it is up to you. Guess what, welcome to the internet. Now get off your high horse (lady).

i call BS
you have complained about PS since the beginning, you were complaining about PS in PS's own thread more then once =/ you have always had something against PS! so are you going to make any more stuff up to try and cover your ace or are you going to admit it?
Image Image
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:34 am

I have complained, but for other reasons which would make this topic, off-topic. Admit what? That you guys love to troll me, that love to get me angry? Phase Shift isnt perfect, nor ideal, neither is FoFiX. That's what im getting at, you cant offer Phase Shift as a better solution in tech support without trying to fix someone the persons problem first. What are you going to do if they turn around and say they cant figure out how to get the controllers working, are you going to tell them to go into the controller options and create new controller and map your buttons, or is Phase Shift the better solution to that. /end of arguement

<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....

f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:41 pm

amak11 wrote:I have complained, but for other reasons which would make this topic, off-topic. Admit what? That you guys love to troll me, that love to get me angry? Phase Shift isnt perfect, nor ideal, neither is FoFiX. That's what im getting at, you cant offer Phase Shift as a better solution in tech support without trying to fix someone the persons problem first. What are you going to do if they turn around and say they cant figure out how to get the controllers working, are you going to tell them to go into the controller options and create new controller and map your buttons, or is Phase Shift the better solution to that. /end of arguement

that example was crap, if someone was asking about how to set up a controller, I'd tell them how because its POSSIBLE, if its about the game lagging like h*ll then yea I'm going to say to get PS, because I know form experience if you get bad performance on fofix then your likely NOT going to get it working good. argue that all you want but i still cant get fofix running higher then 12 fps on my computer since it crashed and I've even reinstalled windows since then =/
Image Image
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:13 pm

That example was quite valid. You were basically saying it's okay to suggest PS in all cases, even something as simple as setting up controllers. As for your experience, i really dont know what to say. If your on windows 7 or vista try compatibility mode and set it up disable visual themes (which basically turns windows to basic when you start the game) Disabling shaders and AA and psyco. Upgrading your video card to it's latest drivers, install the latest directx... anything else i missed hmm, oh right windowed and 640 x 480 resolution.

That's all i can say to your experience, it's different on every machine and every machine has a different problem

<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....

f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:18 pm

so now your putting words in my mouth? when did i ever say its ok to suggest PS for every problem? I never once said anything like that!
Image Image
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Alright stop. Fatdog has already clearly stated that Phase Shift was made to run better performance wise than FoFix. This really should be the final nail in the coffin for this discussion. FoFix has a multitude of performance issues, so if you're having issues like lag and stuttering, then you should probably try the program that was made for people with these problems.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:19 pm

My god.
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:24 pm

Lysdestic wrote:My god.

Silly Lys, god(s) aren't for atheists. :P

On topic: People are going to suggest what they like best or what works best. You've seen it time and again in threads like "Should I get RB or GH". Nobody ever said "Get out, you're on an FoF forum".

Granted, suggesting PS as the first solution for every problem would be annoying, but since I don't trawl Tech Support, I can't say if this is an issue or not.

If there's a way to get FoF(ix) to run it'll be brought up by someone, I'm sure of it. If it's a driver issue, well, I dunno... Can Phase Shift run on dated drivers?
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:32 pm

StrawberryJama7301 wrote:

On topic: People are going to suggest what they like best or what works best. You've seen it time and again in threads like "Should I get RB or GH". Nobody ever said "Get out, you're on an FoF forum".

As much as I hate to point this out...are you sure about that?
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:34 pm

Lysdestic wrote:
Jama7301 wrote:

Silly Lys, god(s) aren't for atheists. :P

As much as I hate to point this out...are you sure about that?

Not 100%. Just going off of what I recall. My memory isn't infallible.

If I had to put a number, it'd be... 87.6% certain, in my experience.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."

Return to “Forum Talk”