Login Twice

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
This topic is 13 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Derp
slashfan7964

Login Twice

Postby slashfan7964 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:05 pm

When I go to login (correct password etc) it says I've excedded the maxmum login limit and to try again later with a captcha. I login with the captcha and it's fine. Is this sort of a anit-spam prevention or?

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
Rapt0r

Re: Login Twice

Postby Rapt0r » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:18 pm

More like you typed your password in wrong.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:27 pm

Someone else was likely trying to get into your account. I hope you have a strong password.

There has been a rash of this lately. I wonder if spammers are trying to harvest legit accounts to use.
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:32 pm

I had this happen right after my ban was up, logged in and I got a captcha. Could be possible, forums host could be having security issue.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:04 pm

nwru wrote:Someone else was likely trying to get into your account. I hope you have a strong password.

There has been a rash of this lately. I wonder if spammers are trying to harvest legit accounts to use.

This. I got the captcha yesterday. I thought it was part of some spam-prevention thing and never thought twice someone's trying to get on my account.

Brb, changing password.
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Yeah I'm gonna change it again just to make sure.

My Song Thread
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:11 pm

nwru wrote:Someone else was likely trying to get into your account. I hope you have a strong password.

I like to think my password is intricate, but still, is there anything that can be done to stop that?
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:14 pm

Lysdestic wrote:I like to think my password is intricate, but still, is there anything that can be done to stop that?

I don't believe so. The recaptcha is there for this very reason. It's likely that if they *are* trying to do a dictionary or brute force attack that they stop once they reach the recaptcha and move on to the next account.

But this is just a hunch. I can't think of another reason why many users would experience that. :confused:
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:24 pm

As a test, I logged out to check and had the same issue occur when I tried to log back in.
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:19 am

Since I've changed my account password I haven't had this happen yet. I shall inform you if it does.

My Song Thread
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:00 am

Changing your password isn't going to stop someone from trying to guess it. Really, it's not going to do much at all if they are just guessing randomly.;
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:51 pm

That is true but it's the only thing us users can do right now to stop from spammers trying to hack legit accounts.

My Song Thread
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:53 pm

Did you even read what I said? Better yet, can you even comprehend anything anyone says?
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:55 pm

Yes I read it and I know what it says. You can't stop anyone from randomly guessing it yes. But if you consistantly change it, the chances of getting it right are slimmer.

My Song Thread
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:56 pm

No, because it's still being randomly guessed.

Return to “Forum Talk”