Recent Spam

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
This topic is 12 years and 7 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Rapt0r

Recent Spam

Postby Rapt0r » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:46 am

I'm sure just about everyone has noticed an influx of spam around here. I propose we implement a limit to 5 to 10 posts before you can make a post that has any kind of link in it (assuming this is even possible). This spam is really getting ridiculous.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: Recent Spam

Postby raynebc » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:55 am

Not a bad idea. In addition perhaps, if an account has two or more relatively new posts that are reported within a 24 hour period or so, the accounts posting rights could be revoked until a moderator determines if the account is legit.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Also sounds like a good idea.

[edit]as long as it also removes those threads too. Kinda pointless otherwise.
Last edited by Rapt0r on Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:33 pm

Just put Slashfan, Estem, ThickAsABrick, and the like on your ignore list.

Oh, that spam.

Yeah, a post limit for sharing links wouldn't hurt. Some system to prevent links in signatures until you've reached a certain count wouldn't hurt either.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:26 pm

Adding them to my ignore list will only work if everyone stops responding to them as well.
LOL
KenshinHimuraRK

Postby KenshinHimuraRK » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:33 pm

Rapt0r wrote:I propose we implement a limit to 5 to 10 posts before you can make a post that has any kind of link in it (assuming this is even possible).

Only possible if they can create a different class for new members until their 5th or 10th post with html and BBCode permission removed. I don't know if the "automatic change class" system exists though.
Still, sometimes they don't even post links.

raynebc wrote:If an account has two or more relatively new posts that are reported within a 24 hour period or so, the accounts posting rights could be revoked until a moderator determines if the account is legit

Only if they are reported under the "Advertisement" reason. In that case, 1 post is enough in my opinion.

Anyway, they don't bother me so much, so I don't care.
Gerinych

Postby Gerinych » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:23 pm

raynebc wrote:Not a bad idea. In addition perhaps, if an account has two or more relatively new posts that are reported within a 24 hour period or so, the accounts posting rights could be revoked until a moderator determines if the account is legit.

I really don't see any point in this. Every time someone spams, it's only one thread in one section. (although in earlier cases, they were spreading all over the forum).
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:30 pm

You haven't been on much recently. this morning there were at least 4 or 5 on several different sub-forums. Whichever mod deleted them can confirm this.
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:46 am

(spam), Iphones, and (spam) were the ones I saw this morning in almost every section.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:41 am

It's a roflcopter!
MopHead

Postby MopHead » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:45 am

Rapt0r wrote:https://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=561302#p561302
viewtopic.php?f=7&p=561301#p561301

These retarded posts have been reported and removed.
46 songs - NEWEST SONG: The Faceless - Xenochrist

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/MopHeadMovs2 (over 3000 scrobbles, over 200 artists)

MOST REAL METAL IS NOT ON THE MAINSTREAM RADIO!
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:58 am

I was wrong. At least 5. There was one in some random thread about bass pedals. I'm wondering why we haven't gotten any input on the matter from any of the mods.

[edit] Make that 6 now.
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:19 am

I do wish there was an RSS feed just for new topics in a particular forum. I hate when I miss topics =)

Last night I swapped out the reCAPTCHA on registration for something else. Haven't had any new spammers for the past 9 hours, so it seems to be working pretty well.

So don't fret (haw!); I'm on it. :cool:
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Alright. I hope it works this time. If not, I still think my idea would be fairly effective and not be too much of an annoyance to new members.
Gah.
OzzyOzrock

Postby OzzyOzrock » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:49 pm

Apparently it hasn't stopped it completely.
ImageImage

I haven't touched a GH related game for 6 months. Woo. My (dead) song thread: Contains horrible things.

Return to “Forum Talk”