Topic Subtitles

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
This topic is 13 years and 7 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Topic Subtitles

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:36 pm

I think it'd be a nice feature to have for things like themes so you can put the full title of a theme first, and then what version it is underneath it. It also might work nicely in tech support for something like:
I Need Help!

It should look something like this:

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

Gah.
OzzyOzrock

Re: Topic Subtitles

Postby OzzyOzrock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:56 pm

Or, I Need Help! Avatars crash in FoFIX 3.121

Isn't that good enough?
ImageImage

I haven't touched a GH related game for 6 months. Woo. My (dead) song thread: Contains horrible things.
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:02 pm

You completely missed the first part of what I said, plus I think my idea would make everything looks cleaner. It looks tacky when everything is cluttered into one title IMO.

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

estemshorn

Postby estemshorn » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:59 pm

It's a good idea, it would be nice for practically every forum, especially theme forums and tech support and other things like that.

Here is a simple, yet crappy, mockup i made because i was bored lol

Now, the subtitle text would probably be smaller in size, to save space, but it's just a simple idea of how it might look
Image Image
Image Image

Amak11 wrote:haha, if only you were of age
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:15 pm

>Looks at mockup
>its my theme

:D

I support this idea
estemshorn

Postby estemshorn » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Metallicaholic666 wrote:>Looks at mockup
>its my theme

:D

I support this idea

it was just an example, I could've been selfish and used uberlight but I decided not too olo

on a serious note, yes, I second this as well.
Image Image
Image Image

Still Alive
wolferacing

Postby wolferacing » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:42 pm

We've had this in the past. For those too "young" to have been around back then...

They were dropped/merged into one-lined topic titles when the board was switched over.
estemshorn

Postby estemshorn » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:50 pm

wolferacing wrote:We've had this in the past. For those too "young" to have been around back then...

They were dropped/merged into one-lined topic titles when the board was switched over.

well why don't we bring it back?
Image Image
Image Image

Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:42 pm

wolferacing wrote:They were dropped/merged into one-lined topic titles when the board was switched over.

Was this a decision of people not liking them, or did the site owner just decide not put them back on with the switch(out of laziness, not caring to do it, forgetting to do it, or whatever that may be)?

Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:50 am

Ah, yes, wolfe is right. We have this feature back in the days when we're still using Ikonboard. phpBB doesn't have this feature but maybe there could be a plugin which could do this.
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:01 pm

I personally don't care for it. When looking at the topic listing, it would make each row unnecessarily taller. If you want to add additional information about a topic, why not put it as the first line in the topic body? If emails had sub-subjects, how useful would that be?

Why it fit on Ikonboard was because the topic creator was in it's own column and I think there was no "topic created" shown. This may be the first time it's even come up since migrating to phpBB back in October 2008. I don't think that any other forum software even does this anymore either.
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:44 pm

It's seems pretty streamlined in the example I shown. If it's done right, it adds polish and make everything seem less cluttered and ugly.

It's really just for visual appeal, not for any huge function so I get why you might not care for it.

It is partially for me to if I'm being honest hehe. I wanted to do something this with my theme topic:
.: Ambiguity's Final Fantasy VII Theme :.
Version 1.0 Final Released

instead of this:
Ambiguity's FFVII Theme [Ver. 1.0 Final Released!]

I had to shorten the title significantly, so if you don't know what FFVII is an abbreviation for, then you don't know what my theme is about. All those abbreviations and brackets to separate look really tacky IMO.

not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:07 pm

On the other hand, if you don't know what FFVII is, you probably don't want a theme about it. But seriously, that's not the point.
It's a good idea, a very good idea. However, our boards are getting more and more "modded", with 4 different styles to maintain. A mod like this implies changes to the posting system, the topics list, the databases and maybe more. We would have to adapt it to all our forums styles and make sure it's compatible with all the other mods. And this verification and/or adaptation work would have to be done each time we update the forums system.
Like I said, it's a good idea and we certainly understand your motivations, but it's just not really practical for what it really adds to the "posting comfort". But we appreciate your suggestions and we consider them, we'll see what happens in the future.
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:54 pm

I wasn't aware it would take so much to implement it or I wouldn't have suggested it. Thanks for explaining everything instead of just saying yes or no :).

I thought about that "if you don't know what FFVII is, you probably don't want a theme about it" after I had already posted, but I was to lazy to rewrite it hehe.

Return to “Forum Talk”