Word censoring

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
This topic is 13 years and 9 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Re: Word censoring

Postby nwru » Fri May 28, 2010 1:54 am

death_au wrote:Unfortunately a "stupid" filter would be a bit too hard to implement, I imagine.

Correct, but that's what moderators are for ;)
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Fri May 28, 2010 6:11 am

RedShadow wrote:But you just used both forms.

Code: Select all

ass[size=100]hat[/size]
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
runnin' down a dream
DreamOnMan92

Postby DreamOnMan92 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:47 pm

This filter is garbage.

We're not all 12 years old. There's a time and place for swearing, and the filter, in addition to being overzealous, completely defeats the purpose.

An opt-out is a great idea, and needs to be put into place.
DREAMONSONGS THREAD Newest:
Tom Petty - Don't Do Me Like That
Bon Jovi - Runaway
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:57 pm

DreamOnMan92 wrote:This filter is garbage.

We're not all 12 years old. There's a time and place for swearing, and the filter, in addition to being overzealous, completely defeats the purpose.

An opt-out is a great idea, and needs to be put into place.

There always are better ways to say things than by cussing and swearing. Respect yourself and use an appropriate vocabulary for all-age gaming forums. If you must swear, as an unnecessary dramatic effect or whatever other reasons, be adult enough to censor yourself (not circumvent the filter, which will result in a warning) in an appropriate way. f*ck, sh*t, c*nt, d*ck, b*tch, a**hat, do not trigger the filter.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:09 pm

Censoring by just using an asterisk over a letter is absolutely no different than the actual word. If you can take reading c*nt and not the real word, there is something extremely wrong with you.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:26 pm

Rapt0r wrote:Censoring by just using an asterisk over a letter is absolutely no different than the actual word. If you can take reading c*nt and not the real word, there is something extremely wrong with you.

Hiding even just one letter adds just enough ambiguity for us not to care about it. Even if we know you meant c*nt, that we see you wanted to say c*nt, that you wouldn't have said anything but c*nt, there's still a little tiny possibility that you could have wanted to write cant, cent or even cint. Just like when you say "shoot" in front of your mother. She knows you wanted to say sh*t, even though you just changed one little sound and yes, it is absolutely different than the actual word.

Anyway, if it's not different, then please just comply to our rules and do it. Thanks.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:49 am

That's not the case at all! No one is going to think that you meant to say cent. There is no need to censor that.
Gah.
OzzyOzrock

Postby OzzyOzrock » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:52 am

raph666 wrote:Hiding even just one letter adds just enough ambiguity for us not to care about it. Even if we know you meant c*nt, that we see you wanted to say c*nt, that you wouldn't have said anything but c*nt, there's still a little tiny possibility that you could have wanted to write cant, cent or even cint. Just like when you say "shoot" in front of your mother. She knows you wanted to say sh*t, even though you just changed one little sound and yes, it is absolutely different than the actual word.

Anyway, if it's not different, then please just comply to our rules and do it. Thanks.

I always thought if it that way too, haha.
ImageImage

I haven't touched a GH related game for 6 months. Woo. My (dead) song thread: Contains horrible things.
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:50 am

Rapt0r wrote:That's not the case at all! No one is going to think that you meant to say cent. There is no need to censor that.

But you can't prove that I wanted to say c*nt without a doubt. Why? Because I didn't say it. See?
Even a stupid script like our words filter sees there's a difference.

But there again, for people who didn't understand the subtlety of an italic "must", I can't never insist too much on how people should simply drop the unnecessary words. Forcing yourself to find an alternate vocabulary will often result in more precise, pertinent and interesting posts. You don't have to go the "easy" way, boards are not chatrooms, you should be able to take the time to compose your posts.
Help to keep our database clean (hence the pre-post non-optional filter) and make the boards a better place, suitable for all audience. We'll be grateful.

Return to “Forum Talk”