Posting after yourself edits thread without bump

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
This topic is 13 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Posting after yourself edits thread without bump

Postby raynebc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:32 am

This behavior seems to be added after recent forum work: If I add a new post to a topic where I was the last person to post, it edits the last post but does not bump the thread. The last post has to be deleted and recreated to bump because the bump topic control was hidden from me (since the edit time had been reset?). Is this going to be the permanent forum behavior?
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Re: Posting after yourself edits thread without bump

Postby death_au » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:42 am

It's been like that for quite some time now... Not just since the recent upgrade. (It's been in place since before I was a moderator)
There is a timeout on it, about 24 hours from memory. So if you wait 24 hours after you last bumped (or last attempted to double post), then bump comes back (and you can double post, too, I believe).
This is just observed behaviour on my part. I'm sure someone like nwru would know better.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:52 pm

there is a bump button at the bottom of the page.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:18 pm

Rapt0r wrote:there is a bump button at the bottom of the page.

The last post has to be deleted and recreated to bump because the bump topic control was hidden from me (since the edit time had been reset?)

Was it really tl;dr? If your last post was too recent, it will hide the bump control.
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:05 pm

hehe, this feature has been around since we moved to phpBB, in Oct 2008.

If the second post is within 24 hours of the first, then it will be automatically appended to the first post.

If the second post is after 24 hours of the first, then subsequent posts will be separate. The 'bump' link will also appear (buried at the bottom) and does something different by moving it to the top of a forum.
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:41 am

nwru wrote:If the second post is after 24 hours of the first, then subsequent posts will be separate.

The point of this thread is that's not what happened. I posted on a thread that hadn't been posted to in several days, but it appended instead. I thought the 24 hour rule had been altered.
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:13 pm

Hmm. until that gets fixed, if you need a thread bump, report it and ask for a bump and a mod will bump it for you. (only if there's a legitimate reason OR it should have been bumped by another post though.)
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:14 pm

nwru wrote:If the second post is within 24 hours of the first, then it will be automatically appended to the first post.

If the second post is after 24 hours of the first, then subsequent posts will be separate. The 'bump' link will also appear (buried at the bottom) and does something different by moving it to the top of a forum.

I just wanted to mention that this is still broken. I posted after a previous post of mine from 5 days ago, and it still appended my new post to the old one and did not bump the topic. At least it didn't hide the bump control this time, so I was able to bump it without deleting and reposting.
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:10 pm

raynebc wrote:
nwru wrote:If the second post is within 24 hours of the first, then it will be automatically appended to the first post.

I just wanted to mention that this is still broken. I posted after a previous post of mine from 5 days ago, and it still appended my new post to the old one and did not bump the topic. At least it didn't hide the bump control this time, so I was able to bump it without deleting and reposting.

Sorry, even after verifications we still can not find what is the problem with the mod but we will not forget you. We will continue to investigate and try to fix it as soon as possible. Sorry for any inconvenience it might cause in the mean time.
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:30 am

Is there not a bump restriction on different forums maybe(for example maybe you can't bump in tune posting but you can in W.I.P.)?

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

Charter from Finn
jii35

Postby jii35 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:52 am

Noup, you just have to wait that 24h after your last post, and the bumb will come back
PRESS>MY SONG THREAD<PRESS
||Poets of the Fall Discography||
|MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL|

Poets of the Fall - Smoke and Mirrors (Guitar)
Protest The Hero - Palms Read (Guitar+Bass)
Five Finger Death Punch - Bad Company (Full band)
Old Gods of Asgard - Children of the Elder God (Guitar)

lukarocker wrote:jii35 songs
------Rusted From the Rain------
Sync: 49/50
Great work here!

Note placement: 25/30
Good but to many 3 note chords.

Song choice: 18/20
Fantastic!!!

Bonus points: 2/9
album art, song.ini lines...great!

TOTAL POINTS: 96/102
Great song!

------Carnival of Rust------
Sync: 50/50
Perfect!

Note placement: 29/30
Few minor mistakes...

Song choice: 16/20
easy but very fun...maybe little repetitive

same as previous one.

TOTAL POINTS: 97/102
you're going to my personal top 5 fretters!!!

------Delicious------
Sync:50/50
perfect again...

Note placement: 30/30
perfect...

Song choice: 18/20
very, very fun song...still not that hard...

Bonus points: 1/9
song.ini...

TOTAL POINTS: 99/101
man...you are in my top 5 fretters...

------Lift------
Sync and note placement: 80/80
*no comment*

Song choice: 20/20

TOTAL POINTS: 102/102
man...you're my hero...I adore your songs!!!

Well people this is example of underrated great fretter!

Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:25 pm

No for me. I can wait a full day and post and it bumps.

That wierd seeing that it works for one user and not another.

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.

Return to “Forum Talk”