How about a rep feature?

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
This topic is 14 years and 5 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
mogwais

How about a rep feature?

Postby mogwais » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:04 am

Not sure if this has been discussed before, excuse me if it has.

Anyway.. I'm sure most of you that browse multiple messageboards are familiar with 'rep'. If you're not, it means reputation. And it would mean that users would all have a "rep number" below their name for people to see when they make posts. And we could give members rep points or deduct points when we see really good posts/really bad posts from them.

I think this community seems mature enough that it wouldn't be abused significantly.. And I think this sort of feature can really help people consider the quality of their post prior to posting (because though it's just rep points on the internet, most of the time people DO care about them)..

Not to mention, it'd be sort of fun too :wink:
My song thread! Updated daily!Over 70 Songs!
Crystal Castles Album!
Current Goals
-Complete all of the song awards in the World Starpower Chart (wembly)
-Obtain a total of 2000 gold stars
-Have a combined total of 1000 downloads of the charts I've made (currently 500-600)
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Re: How about a rep feature?

Postby Lysdestic » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:39 am

It has come up before and has been shot down repeatedly.

The fact of the matter is, most agree it would be abused here, while others see it as pointless e-penis waving.

Though I support the idea - not for the popularity factor though. I see value when it comes to fretters, coders, and themers. Oh, and Rapt0r.
twuk

Postby twuk » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:43 am

I think it'd be a cool idea too. It's too bad it probably won't work out.
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:53 am

We had something like that before the board transfer, but it didn't seem like it worked out so well...
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
The Final Darkness
dadudemandude

Postby dadudemandude » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:17 am

It used to be more useless than useful, and it still is. One of the main reasons is that the ratings will not be accurate at all, far from that, there are just too many people that would give deliberate low ratings for either the lols or out of fanboyery for more well-known forum members. So unless there are some ways, and I mean REALLY GOOD WAYS of getting around the abusive use of the rating system I'll cut the ranting short in just one word:
NO!

Davey
WhatIsThisIDon'tEven
Davidrawr

Postby Davidrawr » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:10 pm

Could be useful if a valid reason has to be given, and maybe have a mod or two check them periodically.

Personally I would rather have a 'thank' system implemented though :)
My song thread!
You can cut our wings, but we will always remember what it was like to fly.
mogwais

Postby mogwais » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:40 pm

There are a lot of ways it can be tweaked so that it isn't abused. One messageboard I frequent had a system like this and it ended up getting abused pretty bad after a while.. So the system got changed so that only users who have been registered for so long and have posted so much are allowed to give other users reputation (plus they'd need a certain number of points before they could have access to the feature as well). All that, plus the fact it was set up that you could only give 2-3 people rep a day, and you couldn't rep the same person (you have to way a whole year before you can rep somebody again >.>) again..

Sounds like some really strict settings.. And I don't know, they might be. That forum is much more active than this one, so it might be worth the time to tweak a plan like that to best suite a place like this.. But it's been quite a long time since that all happened, and since then there really hasn't been any abuse of it like there way prior (and there was a lot o.o). So.. It's certainly possible to set it up in a way it can't be abused.

edit-

And yeah, when you 'rep' somebody, you'd have to give a reason (both for adding and taking away points).. Which, if it's a terrible reason/no reason at all, a staff member could remove it.

Also, we had "rep power".. So like.. Somebody who just meets the qualifications to be able to give/take rep would have a lower rep power.. So if they gave/took it from somebody, they only gave them about 1 or 2 points.. Where as members who have been around much longer and are much more active (and have much more rep points also) would have a higher rep power, usually between 5-15 (sometimes higher of course, but that is the usual area most members fall in).

Obviously somebody new to it would possibly be more likely to abuse the system than a very seasoned/reputable member.. So.. It's even harder to abuse the system when you're only rocking a power of 1 or 2 >.>'.. And it works out to where the people that really step up and get high rep powers are the more mature/sensible members, and seem to never abuse the system.
Crystal Castles Album!
Current Goals
-Have a combined total of 1000 downloads of the charts I've made (currently 500-600)
Naemesis

Postby Naemesis » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:12 am

Well, how about rather high requirements? Like 50-100 posts, and a member for over a month?

Avantasia - The Scarecrow
crazy.neo

Postby crazy.neo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:50 pm

How bout no. Promoting elitism in a forum like this is suicide.
mogwais

Postby mogwais » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:12 pm

Promoting elitism?

I would dare say that 'promoting elitism' is something that can't really be avoided very well in communities like this. Though I don't care to really go into explaining it because it should be obvious.
Crystal Castles Album!
Current Goals
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:27 pm

People might be tempted to say "Look at my rating, do you know who I am? I don't do what you say, now get the Hell out of my forum"

Over-dramatization, but you get my point.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
mogwais

Postby mogwais » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:44 pm

Jama7301 wrote:People might be tempted to say "Look at my rating, do you know who I am? I don't do what you say, now get the Hell out of my forum"

Haha, woah. I dunno, I hope to god you're not right >.>'. I've never really seen anything to that extent anywhere before.. But I understand that it can lead to some issues like that. But I suppose you just gotta hope the people involved have a solid head on their shoulders.. And I would hope somebody that would act like that wouldn't end up with a lot of points to begin with, also :unsure:
Crystal Castles Album!
Current Goals
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:08 am

Jama7301 wrote:People might be tempted to say "Look at my rating, do you know who I am? I don't do what you say, now get the Hell out of my forum"

already done with post counts
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:32 am

True, but if we get a second feature, this could lead to a wider variety of d*cks. There'd be the high posters who think they're better, the low post, high rating ones, and the king pricks who have both. :thumbdown:

Not a fan of more ego swelling features.
WhatIsThisIDon'tEven
Davidrawr

Postby Davidrawr » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:39 am

I still stick by what I previously said: I'd rather see a 'thank' button added.
My song thread!
You can cut our wings, but we will always remember what it was like to fly.

Return to “Forum Talk”