How about a rep feature?

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
This topic is 14 years and 5 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
abloobloo
RedShadow

Re: How about a rep feature?

Postby RedShadow » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:15 pm

Lonely thread is still lonely thread.
warhol

Postby warhol » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:01 am

I thought this was about rep and not thanks. Lol?
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:56 am

warhol wrote:I thought this was about rep and not thanks. Lol?

'twas, but I think the general consensus was that rep = bad due to abuse, and thanking may be a better alternative that can't be abused (as much)
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:52 pm

I still think a rep system for fretters only that's tied to their profile would be ideal... :P
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:12 am

Tied to their profile and the ratings of their songs yeah.

(At the same time though, no negative ratings :tongue: )
mogwais

Postby mogwais » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:15 am

Well, this "thanks" feature... Am I the only person thinking it would be used for things aside from "thanks for the fretting"?
My song thread! Updated daily!Over 70 Songs!
Crystal Castles Album!
Current Goals
-Complete all of the song awards in the World Starpower Chart (wembly)
-Obtain a total of 2000 gold stars
-Have a combined total of 1000 downloads of the charts I've made (currently 500-600)
The Final Darkness
dadudemandude

Postby dadudemandude » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:15 am

In my opinion I think a rating is better than a thanks button if done right.

The difficulties with a rating system would be it takes a little more thinking about what you are going to choose compared to the thank button which is only one choice (I think this is no big difference though, if the users really enjoyed a song I don't think they care about a few extra seconds of judging) and it would be extra hard implementing in the forum (though there is already something like a rating system, which can be misused in a way).

If people would have to give feedback before sending in a rating that would reduce the abuse, especially if the one owning the rating system can report haters. Would an option like that be something in the right direction of combatting the abuse of ratings?

Davey
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:34 pm

death_au wrote:(At the same time though, no negative ratings :tongue: )

lolno. My thought was that since the fretter would have to have a certain number of songs AND request it from a mod, it would keep the number of abuses down, and make those more manageable. After all, what's the point of a rating system if you can't rate negatively.

dadudemandude wrote:If people would have to give feedback before sending in a rating that would reduce the abuse, especially if the one owning the rating system can report haters. Would an option like that be something in the right direction of combatting the abuse of ratings?

That's a good point. Just a short line or two saying why you're rating the song.
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
mogwais

Postby mogwais » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:06 pm

I don't know if it would be a good idea to make it a feature that has to be requested.. It seems like that would just make it a lot more work than it really should be on the staff, and it'd probably be better to make it automatic after a user reaches so many of whatever it is they need.

But then again, something like, say needing X amount of songs fretted or something.. I guess that would HAVE to be confirmed by a staff member, as I don't think there is anything that could keep track of that >.>
Crystal Castles Album!
Current Goals
-Have a combined total of 1000 downloads of the charts I've made (currently 500-600)
WhatIsThisIDon'tEven
Davidrawr

Postby Davidrawr » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:26 pm

mogwais wrote:I don't know if it would be a good idea to make it a feature that has to be requested.. It seems like that would just make it a lot more work than it really should be on the staff, and it'd probably be better to make it automatic after a user reaches so many of whatever it is they need.

But then again, something like, say needing X amount of songs fretted or something.. I guess that would HAVE to be confirmed by a staff member, as I don't think there is anything that could keep track of that >.>

The only other alternative would be post count.
My song thread!
You can cut our wings, but we will always remember what it was like to fly.
mogwais

Postby mogwais » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:08 am

Hm.. So this is has been discussed for a while now in this thread (and elsewhere I'm sure)..

So.. Any chances of it being worked into the forum?
Crystal Castles Album!
Current Goals
warhol

Postby warhol » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:43 am

I stick by my original idea on rep.
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
A bit sleepy
Kotti

Postby Kotti » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:00 am

mogwais wrote:And it would mean that users would all have a "rep number" below their name for people to see when they make posts. And we could give members rep points or deduct points when we see really good posts/really bad posts from them.
We had that back in the old forums, and it actually did work quite decently. Until someone noticed it, made a topic so other people noticed it as well, and by letting people know of it made it suck.
Vedicardi wrote:already done with post counts
If you ask me, post counts might as well be removed. Even if someone has 10000 posts, it doesn't mean they have any content. On the other hand, some one post wonder could come by and post an online multiplayer mod or something as big as that. The posts speak for themselves, not some number next to them.
mogwais wrote:Or maybe something like giving them a "thumbs up".. Or maybe better yet, being able to give specific threads in tune posting thumbs up?
This sounds good. I'm against the "thumbs down" system though, I can see it being abused way too much.
Fretters only blablabla...
Sounds like too much of a hassle to me, but hey, I'm not the one dealing with it. If you can make it work properly, go for it.

Return to “Forum Talk”