Song Rating System?

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
Retired Fretter
tyros

Song Rating System?

Postby tyros » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:22 pm

It's been mentioned in a couple of threads but I want to bring it up. Now that we have a new forum would it be possible to implement some kind of rating system for the songs posted in Tune Posting section? Like, a little link on the bottom "Do you like this song? Yes or No" The songs popularity would be the ratio of "Yes/No". (If, say, 10 people said 'yes' and 2 people said 'no' the song's popularity would be 10/2 = 5) or something like that. Or just a little "Thanks" button on the bottom? A system like that would also be useful for those who don't have time to leave comment, they could just click "Yes" or "Thanks".
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Re: Song Rating System?

Postby MarvinPA » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:24 pm

It'd be cool if there was something like this!

Maybe like a poll. Or even a star scoring system!
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:30 pm

I would be happier than a sack of potatoes in a bomb factory if you added that, nwru.
dance along the fault line; feel the shaking in your bones,
lose the tension in my throat, and live for something.
blackfriday

Postby blackfriday » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:34 pm

HECK YEA!
Retired Fretter
tyros

Postby tyros » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:46 pm

Cool, I see people like it. :biggrin:
Go for it, nwru! It'll be very appreciated
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:59 pm

It's definitely possible, and something that I'm looking forward to implementing. This raises some questions, though, and I'd like to get people's input.

Firstly, what is the goal? I figure the goal is to see if a particular song is worth playing, based on one or more qualities.

What do we rate by?
1) By thread. It would rather easy to give each thread it's own rating, say, out of 5 stars. That would be all fine and dandy if every song had it's own thread, but it's not that simple. Sometimes people post 3 new songs at a time. People are going to be (uselessly) rating the Guitar Hero/Rock Band threads.

2) By individual song...somehow. What about the different difficulties/instruments/versions of a particular song. For example, If I take someone's fretted song that only has guitars and add drums to the .mid and re-release, does it deserve an entirely different rating? What if one of the frettings sucks?

I'd like to use this data to generate a "highest-rated fretters" page, so it's important to do this right.

Do we need an entirely new database of songs, just for ratings/download links/etc.? This would be a monumental task to compile, even for a decent-sized group of people, using the Wiki's song database as an example.

A cool example is the Trackmania Nations track database found here. Tracks there have "awards."

These are just a few thoughts off the top of my head. Please feel free to express how you think it *should* be done.
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:03 pm

I'm thinking we should have a ScoreHero type thing implemented, where each person posting customs can make a thread with ALL of their songs, and we can make a new forum for just those threads, and rate off of that. It would make this simpler, and each could have a poll from 1-10.
dance along the fault line; feel the shaking in your bones,
lose the tension in my throat, and live for something.
Shredder
jake2k3

Postby jake2k3 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:09 pm

Ratings by thread would probably be easier, and they would function fine, but I really like the idea of making it even better (ie. dynamic best fretters page, etc.). Is there a way we could maybe add "attachments" or something to posts, and have those be what get rated? I'm picturing it either being shown above the post in a little box to itself (sort of like how polls were, but instead of the poll you could have the link), or appended to the bottom of the post above the sig.

If it's not possible though, thread ratings could also work. I've seen forums that have a small "featured threads" box on a sidebar that shows five or so high rated threads at a time. This would be nice to have if you want some new songs, but don't really want to go digging for them. On the down-side, this will probably just make leechers even more apt to grab and go.

Bottom line, I say shoot for song ratings in a form of rateable "attached" items to threads.
~Jake2k3
Goodbye everyone. It's been fun. I spent many many hours here on these boards and playing/contributing to FoF. Today I uninstalled my game and deleted all my files. I just don't have the time or interest anymore. I won't be coming back here anymore. I might show up in the IRC from time to time to chat. I regret nothing.

So long, farewell.
~Jake2k3
Retired Fretter
tyros

Postby tyros » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:11 pm

Hmm, I'd say go by individual song. But how... Maybe create an additional option, so when you're making a new topic, there's a check-box "Add possiblility of rating". So, if you don't want your song to be rated, just don't check that box.
About different difficulties/instruments: my idea is to rate a song overall. So, if one difficulty is awesome (5 out of 5) and the other one is horrible (1 out of 5), the song should be rated 3 out of 5.
Basically, I agree with jake2k3
Shredder
jake2k3

Postby jake2k3 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:18 pm

I must say I don't agree with you, at least not completely :P

Having an option to turn off ratings (in my opinion) is nothing more than a "don't hurt my feelings" button, which I have a problem with. If a song sucks, I would like to know. An option like this discourages critisism, which is an important part of improvement.

It may sound a little harsh, but if you don't want your song to be judged, why are you releasing it?
~Jake2k3
Goodbye everyone. It's been fun. I spent many many hours here on these boards and playing/contributing to FoF. Today I uninstalled my game and deleted all my files. I just don't have the time or interest anymore. I won't be coming back here anymore. I might show up in the IRC from time to time to chat. I regret nothing.

So long, farewell.
~Jake2k3
Retired Fretter
tyros

Postby tyros » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:22 pm

jake2k3 wrote:I must say I don't agree with you, at least not completely :P

Having an option to turn off ratings (in my opinion) is nothing more than a "don't hurt my feelings" button, which I have a problem with. If a song sucks, I would like to know. An option like this discourages critisism, which is an important part of improvement.

It may sound a little harsh, but if you don't want your song to be judged, why are you releasing it?
~Jake2k3

You didn't get what I meant. Like nwru said, what if a song has been re-released or something and you don't want it to be rated? I dunno, I'm confused myself... Let's see what other people think.
The Wiitard
rednano12

Postby rednano12 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:56 pm

Perfect example. I am currently fretting a song, and it has guitars for all diffs. This is the first time I have EVER fretted drums, and every time I test it, I make massive changes. Puppetz has refretted many of his songs. How would refrets work?
Oct. 30th is Cama appreciation day!

Check out my first song: Snow (Hey Oh)
700+ songs fretted!!
Puppetz

Postby Puppetz » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:58 pm

Rating by song is almost impossible... well some post three song, some (like me), post a whole Hero thing... well it doesn't really matter. I think it would be a good thing to rate threads, and it's easy to put a poll in the thread there from 1 to 10 or 1 to 5 rated. It looks better and it also disables the total noobs of makin f*cked up charts here, which will be rated 1... This will also encourage people to make as good as they can to see what how good they are, that's human. :)

And if there are lets say three songs in one thread. It's rated 4 of 5!? What's the chance that the guy fretted two songs perfectly (10/10), and one sucky song (1/10)?! That chance is... you know. So reating threads works fine! Ofcourse there are always a few spammers that go and rate 1 on purpose, but that's nothing to worry about...
Image To support my work and help me get a new computer. Thanks!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Shredder
jake2k3

Postby jake2k3 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:05 pm

puppetz_86 wrote:Rating by song is almost impossible...

I say go for it. The way I see it, we can settle for easy or go for something a little better.
~Jake2k3

So long, farewell.
~Jake2k3
Power Quest's #1 Fan
omfgdrphl

Postby omfgdrphl » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:40 pm

Sorta like forgehub? I guess that would work. But there's always a possibility of people rating it badly for no reason. I would implement a rate&comment system. The forum looks very nice btw, thanks nwru! :rolleyes:

Return to “Forum Talk”