Frets on Fire 1.3.110

News in the world of Frets On Fire
This topic is 2 years and 9 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Frets on Fire 1.3.110

Postby nwru » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:45 pm

It's been over a year, but here's a new version of Frets On Fire for everyone! It's "only a minor bugfix release with some assorted performance improvements," but it's great to see that the devs are still working on improving the game.

Download links

From the SourceForge changelog:
Version 1.3.110

* Wrote concise instructions for building and installing the game.
* Removed runtime SVG support. All images must be pre-rasterized as PNG graphics now. This also removes the dependency on Amanith, making the game simpler to build and package.
* Reworked the build system. Now an installation package can be created with a single command for Windows and Mac OS X.
* Added textured fretboard strings and bars.
* Updated the translations.

Source (unrealvoodoo.org)

Edit: Since this is built off the "unrecommended" version 1.2.512, I would hope that some of it's issues have been resolved. If you try 1.3.110, please share your experience below.
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
ADH

Re: Frets on Fire 1.3.110

Postby ADH » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:54 pm

sweet imma try it now.
A bit sleepy
Kotti

Postby Kotti » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:47 pm

To keep it simple:

Stick with 1.2.451.

There was some random lagging (menus, when song started, not while playing), game crashed when I applied new settings and it's still hard to get back into hopos. Holding lower fret during chords is still allowed, songs still need song.ogg to work properly. When pausing, "return to game" option didn't work (hitting esc again worked).

Better than .512, worse than .451 or SoS.

Unless you're a modder, don't download this.

Some more editing:
Ok, there is some lag while playing. "Auto-holder" still works, so if you release chord right after strumming, it stays held by itself. This is not "RF 5" in case anyone is wondering.

One thing I noticed in songs folder is that there is this file killscores.sh. I suppose it removes scores, but don't know how to use it.
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:13 pm

Kotti wrote:One thing I noticed in songs folder is that there is this file killscores.sh. I suppose it removes scores, but don't know how to use it.

Contents of that file:

Code: Select all

for f in */song.ini; do cat "$f" | grep -v ^scores > "$f.tmp" ; mv "$f.tmp" "$f"; echo "Reset scores for $f"; done

Looks like:
It clears the scores line from data/songs/*/song.ini
(so it wouldn't work as-is on the song.ini in folders in deeper folder/directory structures)
Uses commands that are only on Linux, but could be adapted to work on Windows
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
Now Mudkip Flavour!
BSRaven

Postby BSRaven » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:54 pm

*HOLD IT!*

Now we can recode FOF into a newer Python (if someone will mod this) due to no longer needing Amanith.
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Postby MarvinPA » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:12 pm

:crying: What happened to RF?
Now Mudkip Flavour!
BSRaven

Postby BSRaven » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:16 pm

MarvinPA wrote::crying: What happened to RF?

Ninja'd. :tongue2:
oed

Postby oed » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:13 pm

Diden't Sami Kyöstilä quit this project for RF to take over?
Guess not.
ImageImage
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Oooh, It uses python 2.5 and from what I can see there is no more memory leak, but yes, there is some lag.
Azzco

Postby Azzco » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:06 am

Performed better for me than a vanilla 1.451 I'm going to try it out a bit and mess some. I hope that this will lead to some more releases in the near future. :)
(k)Ubuntu 8.10 skyscraper 2.6.27-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux KDE 4.2.0
It's not like I dislike sleeping, I really do like it to be honest. It's the whole wake up/go to sleep business I don't like.
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:47 am

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1.3 is out!! Thanks nwru! If you didn't tell us, we're all are thinking the develepor has stop working of FOF! :2thumbsup:
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:03 am

I got the latest source from the subversion reps and was able to run the game from source (on ubuntu) in only a few minutes. I think that it's a good thing for developers that the game now uses only more common dependencies and not amanith anymore. Considering game lag, let's remember that it also depends of your computer specs and game settings because I personally have no lag at all.
1.3.110, better than previous versions? I would say yes, it does not bring a whole bunch of new features but it seems (yet to be proven) that the biggest bugs have been fixed, especially for the windows build. Now, is it better than popular mods like FoFiX? Probably not, but let's not forget that when you're using FoFiX or RF-mod, you're not "sticking" to 1.2.451, you're using a heavily modified version of the game, based on 1.2.451. For people using these mods, just like you would not download 1.2.451, you won't need to download 1.3.110.

So, is this release good news for the forums members? Future will tell. Is it good news for people downloading from the official website? Definitely.
The cool one :D
amantonas

Postby amantonas » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:46 pm

Wow, that would be awesome if there was no memory leak!
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:36 am

raph666 wrote:I got the latest source from the subversion reps and was able to run the game from source (on ubuntu) in only a few minutes. I think that it's a good thing for developers that the game now uses only more common dependencies and not amanith anymore. Considering game lag, let's remember that it also depends of your computer specs and game settings because I personally have no lag at all.
1.3.110, better than previous versions? I would say yes, it does not bring a whole bunch of new features but it seems (yet to be proven) that the biggest bugs have been fixed, especially for the windows build. Now, is it better than popular mods like FoFiX? Probably not, but let's not forget that when you're using FoFiX or RF-mod, you're not "sticking" to 1.2.451, you're using a heavily modified version of the game, based on 1.2.451. For people using these mods, just like you would not download 1.2.451, you won't need to download 1.3.110.

So, is this release good news for the forums members? Future will tell. Is it good news for people downloading from the official website? Definitely.

Yeah. You're right, it doesn't lag at all on my computer. And I still hate it's HOPO system and it's hit-window. And also I still hate it's board, it doesn't use the same speed as the song's BPM.
arfn24

Postby arfn24 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:11 pm

AWESOME!!!!@!!!
I love it, they got it working on Macs :P

Return to “News”