Before the forum dies

Everything else in here
This topic is 3 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
warhol

Before the forum dies

Postby warhol » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:00 pm

I just want to say how meaningful this forum was to me when I was younger. This became the first ever online community that I actively interacted with, lulzing around and sending rage comic reactions to each other. It wasn't very smooth at first, because I think my first ever thread was just to ask about a technical issue I was having with FoF. I'm not all that sure what it was that got me to start interacting with everyone, but I'm willing to chalk it up to the community being that accommodating and fun to be around that got me to stay. I gotta say, the FoF forum did a lot about how my taste in music was formed way back when.

It's hard to believe that I joined this place a little bit over 13 years ago! In a few years, I'd have been part of this community for about half of my life, which is kinda crazy to me. Thinking back, I kinda miss those days; simpler times when I didn't know about taxes or politics and just wanted to pretend to play the guitar like a god and listen to good music. It almost feels like a dream, really. I was in high school back then too!

I've actually been so attached to this community that, though I don't talk here anymore (because there isn't much left to talk about), this page is actually bookmarked and automatically opens whenever I open Chrome. Nowadays I tend to just close the tab almost immediately, but sometimes I give the board a once-over and wonder if Frets on Fire will ever turn up again or be a thing once more. I wonder if Rock Band will make a return too? I still have the peripherals, actually.

Really, I just wanted to say thank you, because I don't think I've ever said it before. I'm not a very social or heartfelt person in real life, because I don't like embarrassing myself or making self-important announcements or posts. But considering that nobody really knows me, I just wanted to put the sentiment forth that I really would be a different person if I hadn't looked for a guitar hero clone back in freshman year of high school.

Edit: yes, I am posting this because the forum was down for a few days prior. I was really wondering if this was finally it. Haha.
Last edited by warhol on Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
thetakuhero

Re: Before the forum dies

Postby thetakuhero » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:49 pm

I didn't know that this forum is going to die :'(
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:09 am

Hey Warhol..
I know what you mean about being here a long time. I've been here over 14 years now. We still have the IRC chatroom open (nearly 13 years now)
I still pop my head in here every few days, mostly just checking the place is still ok and letting the mods know if something is hinky.
I remember a time i spent 8 hours a day fully active on this site (usually in tech support), it was like a job, but i didn't get paid for it lol

I doubt the site is going anywhere while NWRU still has control over it, he would only shut it down if it truly became dead.. But it still gets posts daily, so it keeps on ticking :tongue:

Glad to see another long standing member is still alive and well..
Last edited by nobby76 on Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:28 am

What is dead may never die!

Good to see you, Warhol!
abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:56 pm

I just read your post and kept telling myself "I'm a man, I won't cry.".
Thank you for your heartfelt words, I think most of us who were at some point regulars in the community feel the same way about it!
I definitely had plenty of good times in this site and learned a lot here, so it holds a special place in my heart too. In its best moments it has certainly felt like a melting pot of pure creativity, camaraderie and general internet shenanigans.
If next time you open chrome you stroll by and see this, I hope you're having a nice day.

:crying: :crying: :crying:

Return to “Off-Topic”