i hate charting.

Everything else in here
This topic is 8 years and 4 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.

Should I quit charting?

Are you insane!!?!?!?!!?!?! Of course not!
33%
I would be heartbroken if you quit
No votes
You should at least take a break if you're this stressed out.
60%
U DUNT RELESE UR CHARS WIT FUL BND MUTRKS WTF EYELESS
7%

Total votes: 15
FrOoGle

i hate charting.

Postby FrOoGle » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:36 pm

I feel like charting is slowly making me crazier and crazier. Every time I start a new song I end up quitting and starting another one halfway through. On top of this, I get like, less than 5 downloads per song, which doesn't really motivate me. 100 years ago, I could chart anything, but now, I won't unless I really, really, REALLY like the song. Don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna finish FH3, But I'm not promising If I will do anything after.
My Song Thread - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59701
FrOoGle HeRo I - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=628936#p628936
FrOoGle HeRo II (unfinished :C) - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58720
FrOoGle HeRo III - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=637471#p637471
FrOoGle HeRo IV - viewtopic.php?f=17&p=638836
Bullet Train Blast - Nothing Remains (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=630599#p630599
Shadows Fall - Fire From the Sky (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59287&p=634454&hilit=Shadows+fall#p634454

Signature picture provided by The---Way
djent schmjent
missingno42128fof

Re: i hate charting.

Postby missingno42128fof » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:52 pm

Lol I have a to do list on Google Drive that's about 5 pages long :scared:

I know that feeling
My Song Thread!
# of tunes - 11
The last forum user
Maupy2

Postby Maupy2 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:14 am

I feel u man. I've got the same problem.
My song thread (mostly guitar)
MY FIRST STORY song thread
A Day To Remember Hero REVIVAL
A Lot Like Birds

My name is Maurits.
They/them pronouns
If you want to reach me, send me a private message. I don't usually log in any more, but I have email notifications turned on for private messages.
Still Alive
wolferacing

Postby wolferacing » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:10 am

Ah yes, the ol' author's fatigue. There are some things I can share to hopefully help you and anyone else experiencing the tired feeling.

Don't author a song for the sake of becoming "download famous". Songs should be made for other reasons. Don't let popularity/download amount/thanks/ect derail you from the true underlying reason of why you do this. Authoring requires a passion for music, rhythm games, and an urge for the "I made this" feeling. Yes leechers take for granted the time and effort it takes to make a song, but be assured we as a community appreciate all of our content creators. You are what keeps us alive and united. Never forget that.

If you start to feel overwhelmed by authoring, step back from it for a while. If you do anything repetitive for too long, you get tired of it. That's the human way. If you're worried about people loosing interest in your songs, well, we will still be here when you return... this site isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Instead of making a song just to make it, why not use song authoring as a source of therapy. When you get mad, sad, upset pick a song you emotionally connect to and author it. This process is similar to how (good) songwriting is done. Artists use songs to get out their emotions and feel better. This gives you a great reason to make a song, and will help you feel better. Two for one!

I've been here for 8 years and I've seen just about every song author go though some sort of author's fatigue. You're not alone. We all hit the wall at some point. As long as you find your way of breaking through the wall you'll be fine. :cool:
J-Rock Band Charter
GhostByob

Postby GhostByob » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:26 am

Try to take a break from the custom charts and enjoy the official songs from GH/RB, but enjoy it, not criticize...

I did the same before (like 5 months), but i'm here again with full custom songs now every weeks :smile:

The Avenger
Yhughu

Postby Yhughu » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:18 am

wolferacing wrote:Ah yes, the ol' author's fatigue. There are some things I can share to hopefully help you and anyone else experiencing the tired feeling.

Don't author a song for the sake of becoming "download famous". Songs should be made for other reasons. Don't let popularity/download amount/thanks/ect derail you from the true underlying reason of why you do this. Authoring requires a passion for music, rhythm games, and an urge for the "I made this" feeling. Yes leechers take for granted the time and effort it takes to make a song, but be assured we as a community appreciate all of our content creators. You are what keeps us alive and united. Never forget that.

If you start to feel overwhelmed by authoring, step back from it for a while. If you do anything repetitive for too long, you get tired of it. That's the human way. If you're worried about people loosing interest in your songs, well, we will still be here when you return... this site isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Instead of making a song just to make it, why not use song authoring as a source of therapy. When you get mad, sad, upset pick a song you emotionally connect to and author it. This process is similar to how (good) songwriting is done. Artists use songs to get out their emotions and feel better. This gives you a great reason to make a song, and will help you feel better. Two for one!

I've been here for 8 years and I've seen just about every song author go though some sort of author's fatigue. You're not alone. We all hit the wall at some point. As long as you find your way of breaking through the wall you'll be fine. :cool:

Well written!
I think a lot of people on here can learn from the advice/tips you gave right here!
1200+ Sygenysongs
BombDude24

Postby BombDude24 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:27 am

Everyone else pretty much stated my thoughts on it. I think that the second that charting goes from something that you're passionate about, to a something that's an absolute chore to do, that sucks the life out of you, and it's now a boring and frustrating task to do, and has no obvious reward. Honestly, don't keep forcing yourself to do it, and I'd definitely take a break.

Another thing that I'm not sure anyone else addressed was that charting is optional; everyone has made a choice to be here, and to work on songs, for whomever's benefit, so it's something where you can back out any time, and nothing is expected from you, so if not taking a break, I'd definitely take more time in between each song that you do, just a little breather. Also, in my experience, taking requests, for songs that you might not necessarily want to do, can often be detrimental, and you don't need to take a request just because you feel you have a duty to.

If none of that works, but you still want to continue, honestly, just play one of your songs in your program of choice, remember the good times you had when charting, when it used to be fun to you, (if it ever was) think about how much effort you've put into each of your songs, and how much you've progressed since when you first started out. Read a nice comment from the past that someone posted in your thread, remember in your mind what made you want to start charting, and what made you want to keep on going, even as it started to become more and more frustrating.

Take heart knowing that the community is here for you, regardless of what you do, and the decision lies with just you for whatever you choose to do. I'll be supportive, either way, and I'm always around to talk, for you, or for whomever.

Just do what's in your own best interest, and everything will be ok, you don't have to do anything because you feel you have a need to, remember that.
FrOoGle

Postby FrOoGle » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks Guis. I'm slowly starting to feel better about charting. C:
Bullet Train Blast - Nothing Remains (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=630599#p630599
Shadows Fall - Fire From the Sky (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59287&p=634454&hilit=Shadows+fall#p634454

Mr_Ice_Pickle

Postby Mr_Ice_Pickle » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:50 pm

I agree with everyone else. You're too good of a charter to call it quits right now. I completely understand the feeling of not being motivated because my work wasn't appreciated by others and throwing away concepts and starting from scratch again - in fact, this is the exact same dilemma I've experienced for several months regarding my own YT channel. Creative deprivation happens to everyone eventually, whether they want to believe or or not. It seems absolutely ridiculous to say that in the context of just making simple video game modifications, but it is unbelievably strenuous work. It really is about shaping yourself up and wondering if the input of others ultimately matters for something that you inherently like to do. Your emotion to your output is really that bond that will hold everything that you make up. (This is a lesson I need to learn myself, but I digress...)

Sure, you could just give up forever on charting and leave the community, but I need to tell you something. Even with how busy I've gotten recently, I always try to go to every major charter's thread and at least try out their new songs, whether it be official game stuff, or something completely new. I have probably played the majority of, if not all of your charts that are available. If you leave, then you'll already have one person that will be disappointed in you not returning - chances are, you'll probably have others thinking the same way. You've become a quintessential piece of this forum, no matter what your conscience thinks. If this is stressing you out that much, just take time off for however long you need to. Just remember that it's too early for you to leave this place behind. I can't influence your final say in the matter of course, but I hope that that helped guide your decision just a little bit.

This is getting too long. Just reconsider a little, okay? Don't feel preoccupied by it; stress is never good for anybody.
FrOoGle

Postby FrOoGle » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:38 pm

Pickle, Sy, Wolfe, you have no idea how much that helped me. Thanks a million!

~happy ice cream~
Kueller917

Postby Kueller917 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:58 am

I still enjoy it, I like seeing songs I like get translated into the game format. Download counts have plummeted since this game isn't that popular anymore, and I stopped for a while because of that, but seeing the occasional thank you is good enough. I at least like to hope I make something of quality that can satisfy other players. Funny enough, since my wired guitar broke a couple years ago (that thing was tough), I barely play any of the songs I chart. I started doing it for myself and now continue it for others.

Now granted I tend to only go towards songs I do like. It's not nearly as fun when you're not that into the song as to hear it over and over again doing rather tedious work. Also things like adding overdrive phrases and lyrics can get really mind numbing.

I don't do it [i[that[/i] often though, so it keeps it entertaining. Nothing too demanding like some of my other hobbies or obligations.

So I'd probably side with everyone just to take a break. Don't take it all too seriously, it's just rhythm games in the end. It's a small community here so there's not as much fame, but even a few people happy is worth something.
Image Image
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:49 am

As late as I am to the topic, I do miss charting songs but I don't miss the author fatigue. Wolfe knows how much I complained in the past about authoring songs lol
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Return to “Off-Topic”