How do I use github to update programs?

Everything else in here
This topic is 9 years and 10 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Rockslide

How do I use github to update programs?

Postby Rockslide » Thu May 08, 2014 9:46 am

I have read some material and it confusing me. I think i need to do a clone then fetch command, but don't that require me to have the original source code first? Plus how am I to install a program from just the source code? I know alot about computers but github is strange to me. If someone can tell me the commands I need and how/or if i need to install the updated program. I would appreciate it. I think I can handle getting to the right repository, but if you feel more info is needed there please fill me in.
Thank you in advance.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: How do I use github to update programs?

Postby raynebc » Thu May 08, 2014 3:03 pm

I use TortoiseSVN to manage my work on EOF. They have a TortoiseGit client (http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/) and I can't imagine it getting much simpler than using that. You'll have to download the source code for the project you're working on to your computer and compile it yourself, which will require things like a compiler (MinGW is probably the most common for cross-platform programs on Windows) and you may have to install other dependencies like Python.

Return to “Off-Topic”