Censorship in Guitar Hero Games? WT*???

Everything else in here
This topic is 9 years and 2 weeks old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Nivekiller

Censorship in Guitar Hero Games? WT*???

Postby Nivekiller » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:36 am

What's going on with the censorship with Guitar Hero?

I mean, in Guitar Hero 5, in the song "2 Minutes to Midnight" by Iron Maiden, the censor the word "kill" in this phrase:
Original phrase: "To KILL, the unborn in the womb"
Censored version: "To... the unborn in the womb" :cursing:

But, in the same game, they have a song called "Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon, even in another song, "21st Century Schizoid Man" by King Crimson, in a phrase says:
Original phrase: "Innocents RAPED with napalm fire" :glare:

In Band Hero, in "Believe" by The Bravery, they censor the word "drinking" but no the word "drink", very strange. :blink:
Original phrase: "The DRINKING never stops because the drinks absolve our sins"
Censored version: "The... never stops because the drinks absolve our sins" :scared:

And in the same game, the song "American Pie" (no, it's the song, not the movie :tongue2:) they censor the word "whiskey" about 3 times in the song in this phrase.
Original phrase: "And them good old boys were drinking WHISKEY and rye"
Censored version: "And them good old boys were drinking... and rye" :confused:

I understood that some songs, like "f***", "s***", racial terms like "n****" and other curse words would be censored, but, in some songs, is supposed to be a strange kind of joke or just a bad, very bad, censorship? I mean, "kill" has been present in another GH games (like Guitar Hero Metallica), "drinking" it's just and activity and "whiskey" it's just a drink.

Well, this is just what I think, hope and they (*cought*Activision*cought*) didn't listen to us. :biggrin:
(Sarcasm)
700+ songs fretted!!
Puppetz

Re: Censorship in Guitar Hero Games? WT*???

Postby Puppetz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:47 am

That's interesting! :tongue:
Image To support my work and help me get a new computer. Thanks!
ImageImageImageImageImage
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 am

Guitar hero has always been more "family friendly" right up until Warriors of Rock. Band Hero is a GREAT example of this family friendly ideology
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Nivekiller

Postby Nivekiller » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:51 am

Puppetz wrote:That's interesting! :tongue:

I know it! :laugh:
amak11 wrote:Guitar hero has always been more "family friendly" right up until Warriors of Rock. Band Hero is a GREAT example of this family friendly ideology

Emm... you call "family friendly" a game wich depicts a female character who wears a thong (Casey Lynch)? :biggrin: Well, maybe the Guitar Hero "family friendlyness" would star with Guitar Hero 5 and band hero :laugh:

And personally think that Band Hero SUCKS!!!! :cursing:
Only a very few songs (the censored "Believe", "Bring Me To Life", "Don't Speak" and "Bad Reputation") are the good ones, the rest just are pop-ish and ugly songs :thumbdown:
And it's the worst example of videogames censorship (even Manhunt and Mortal Kombat were not been so censored like some Guitar Hero songs :biggrin: )
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Not to mention the physics put into Judy Nails in Guitar Hero 3. That's not 'family friendly' at all. They're ALL rated T for TEEN in America (Except Band Hero, but that's the dumbed down, poppy step-sister of guitar hero) The T rating includes "more intense violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, low to no blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language." which is obviously not saying that they're can't be any minor alcohol usage or references in the Rated T game. Now, stating that and looking at ALL OF THE OTHER rated T games that are out there, there's no VALID reasoning behind not having words like 'kill', 'drinking', and 'whiskey', besides the one where they honestly think kids are getting the idea to kill and drink by these games.

and if you're seriously like that, you REALLY shouldn't be playing video games.
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Does it matter though? If you don't know the song in the first place then you aren't really going to notice the censor (unless it's a really bad edit), and if you know the song then you're just going to say the censored words anyway.

I'm not sure how the ESRB systems really differentiates between T and M (where is the line drawn?) but having those might have put it over the line.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.jsp?title=guitar+hero+3&fromHome=fromHome

It looks like there's a difference between "Lyrics" and "Mild Lyrics".
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:38 pm

Yes, but notice how it's only Guitar Hero 1 with 'Mild Lyrics' until you get to the later ones like Smash Hits, 5, Van Halen, etc. But the rating NEVER CHANGED between the ones with and without Mild Lyrics.

There's still no valid excuse why they can't have alcohol references besides them being asskissers to the ones rating the game.

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

Nivekiller

Postby Nivekiller » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Metallicaholic666 wrote:Not to mention the physics put into Judy Nails in Guitar Hero 3. That's not 'family friendly' at all. They're ALL rated T for TEEN in America (Except Band Hero, but that's the dumbed down, poppy step-sister of guitar hero) The T rating includes "more intense violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, low to no blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language." which is obviously not saying that they're can't be any minor alcohol usage or references in the Rated T game. Now, stating that and looking at ALL OF THE OTHER rated T games that are out there, there's no VALID reasoning behind not having words like 'kill', 'drinking', and 'whiskey', besides the one where they honestly think kids are getting the idea to kill and drink by these games.

At no time I said that the Guitar Hero games were "family friendly" (except Band Hero), ammak11 said that :tongue2:
And I don't think if a kind sing a song with the word "kill" would harm another people, would be like saying that people who listen to hip hop joins gangs and use drugs.

and if you're seriously like that, you REALLY shouldn't be playing video games.

Well, I like to be serious when I play videogames :laugh:

aander91 wrote:I'm not sure how the ESRB systems really differentiates between T and M (where is the line drawn?) but having those might have put it over the line.

The ESRB is weird sometimes :laugh:
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:10 pm

I put family friendly in quotes, haha. Mainly the only songs affected are the on-disc ones. DLC songs aren't rated by the ESRB and are more properly censored
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:22 pm

That makes more sense then. Otherwise how in the HELL can "Cleveland steamer" be allowed in Rock Band DLC?
(Rock Your Socks Off by Tenacious D btw)

The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:43 pm

Cause it's DLC... As long as it's not on the main disc it's fine. But censorship on RB is more based on context it's used in

<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....

Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:02 pm

Just a little tidbit: at one point I remember reading about HMX considering doing adult versions of songs where they were completely uncensored. I'm not sure how this would affect the rating but at one point they were considering it.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
Nivekiller

Postby Nivekiller » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:32 pm

aander91 wrote:Just a little tidbit: at one point I remember reading about HMX considering doing adult versions of songs where they were completely uncensored. I'm not sure how this would affect the rating but at one point they were considering it.

that's would be cool! :2thumbsup:
just imagine it, singing "Killing In the Name" uncensored :drool:
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Nivekiller wrote:
aander91 wrote:Just a little tidbit: at one point I remember reading about HMX considering doing adult versions of songs where they were completely uncensored. I'm not sure how this would affect the rating but at one point they were considering it.

that's would be cool! :2thumbsup:
just imagine it, singing "Killing In the Name" uncensored :drool:

bcause swearing iz kewl. :rolleyes:
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
blatz89

Postby blatz89 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:07 pm

Well, if the unrated songs were DLC, then i don't think the ESRB would have any jurisdiction over it. :p.

Return to “Off-Topic”