Looking to buy a bass

Everything else in here
This topic is 12 years and 6 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Rapt0r

Looking to buy a bass

Postby Rapt0r » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:32 pm

Went to Guitar Center saturday to look for a bass. Found one very similar to this one here for $400~. The one in store had active pickups (doesn't say anywhere on the page that this does). Pros and cons on this guitar? I know nothing about bass guitars so any advice at all would be nice. It felt nice when I played with it a bit in store.

Would also like to point out I've played guitar for 5+ years now and have played around with bass a bit too.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Re: Looking to buy a bass

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:23 pm

Maybe you should check out the reviews on it at the Guitar Center site?: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter,5-String-Electric-Electric-Bass,New-Gear.gc?o=1

There are 2 listed there that have the active pickups, and are priced at $399, one of those is probably the actual one you played.

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:32 pm

That's the one. The reviews are very promising.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:28 am

Whelp, ended up buying a used 4 string from only about $180. Dis is what I got.

dat bass
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:24 am

Soundgear is a low end brand but They're pretty good at the same time.
You got a pretty good deal on that bass though.
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Funny thing about the Soundgear line...my first bass was one of the value pack deals. Despite the additional (and more expensive) basses I've picked up since, I always go back to it.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:25 pm

This thing has active pickups in it. I've never used them before. How do I know if the battery is dead? Will they not work? Also I don't have a switch for the pickups but the 3 knobs (there is also a volume knob) have a notch halfway. Do these 3 knobs control the pickups? Like if I have them all turned clockwise past the notch, does it mean only one pickup is on?
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Rapt0r wrote:This thing has active pickups in it. I've never used them before. How do I know if the battery is dead? Will they not work? Also I don't have a switch for the pickups but the 3 knobs (there is also a volume knob) have a notch halfway. Do these 3 knobs control the pickups? Like if I have them all turned clockwise past the notch, does it mean only one pickup is on?

Pretty sure actives are only "on" when they are plugged into an amplifier, the knobs(and switches if it had any) don't matter.

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Rapt0r wrote:This thing has active pickups in it. I've never used them before. How do I know if the battery is dead? Will they not work? Also I don't have a switch for the pickups but the 3 knobs (there is also a volume knob) have a notch halfway. Do these 3 knobs control the pickups? Like if I have them all turned clockwise past the notch, does it mean only one pickup is on?

You'll know the battery is on the way out when the tone goes to hell, or, in your case, gets worse than usual. <3

I've never let mine fully drain, so I dunno if they stop working at all or not -- you'll know when to change them.

The knobs most likely have the notch to indicate balancing between the pickups. It's worth noting that some tone knobs (Bass, Treble) tend to have notches like that as well, the notch being 0, obviously. You're best bet is to play around with the knobs while it's plugged in. Unless you're a total 'tard, it's usually pretty easy to figure out which is which.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:31 pm

Duck you my tone is fine. I was going for something very close to what the original sounded like.

Also, just listened to this through my headphones and holy poop it sounds awful... It sounds fantastic through my speakers.
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:32 pm

My my, someone is defensive today.

On the rag again, Rappy?
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:26 pm

Nah, I was just posting it here for others. Was gonna anyway. Seriously, though. That does sound awful (via headphones and not through my speakers which is what I play through).
crazy.neo

Postby crazy.neo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:11 am

Raptor, ̶b̶ass face
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:46 am

bassed swag
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:44 pm

Needs moar wah and less speed in the beginning.

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

Return to “Off-Topic”