Vidya cards

Everything else in here
This topic is 12 years and 9 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Rapt0r

Vidya cards

Postby Rapt0r » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:02 pm

I'm selling my 4870 to Kekkimaru for his computer I'm helping him build so I can afford to upgrade mine. My choice is between these 2 cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 20-Product

http://www.hwcompare.com/8890/geforce-g ... n-hd-6870/
Benchmarks show the 560 TI out performing the 6870 but I'm more worried about heat and power consumption. I only have a 520watt PSU (both cards want a minimum 500 watt). Will that be enough?
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Re: Vidya cards

Postby amak11 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:27 pm

it should be enough. Tho expect the fans to slow down when the video card kicks in for games. You could upgrade to a higher wattage PSU if you are that worried about it.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

LongTimeGoner
PiXeLaDo

Postby PiXeLaDo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:40 pm

I'd go for a 600w psu and get the Ti.
dunno much about ATi cards, but the 560 Ti OCs like a monster.

Source: http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-g ... -review/20
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Why would the fans slow down? That really doesn't make too much sense.

Also, I can't really afford the $80 or so it'll cost to upgrade my PSU as well. If it ends up not being enough, will my card just run slower?
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
I have special eyes
Belisario93

Postby Belisario93 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:51 pm

Rapt0r wrote:Why would the fans slow down? That really doesn't make too much sense.

If I'm understanding it right, it makes perfect sense. since there would be less wattage available, the fans wouldn't be able to pull enough power to go full speed.
dangit nobby
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:56 pm

http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psuca ... calculator

I, myself, am still planning on going for the good ol' HD 5770, it's rather low power and delivers decent performance. Everything is going to look heavenly after playing on a gma 950 for 3 years.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:02 am

Well poop. I have no idea if I have a regular mobo or a high end but if I have high end, I need 540 watts. Duck. So, what happens? Does my card just under perform?
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:26 am

well how much was your mobo? did you pay arse loads of money for it? If it's just a mATX or a low cost (under $200) ATX board then it's a regular board. :/

As for what happens, one of 2 things, computer wont start or system runs at reduced speeds overall. Even then, with your current PSU it wont be that big of a drop. Either way, you can still use them with your current setup.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

life is so deep
JanZuKa

Postby JanZuKa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:42 am

Fans slowing down because lack of power is unlikely. A normal 80mm fan usually needs ~1A and if graphic card fans run at 12 volts then that's ~12 watts which is irrelevant to the amount the card itself requires.
Now your system would probably do fine until you run some intensive benchmark or game, when a crash/shutdown would most likely occur

I recommend taking a look at this site http://www.antec.outervision.com/
It lets you calculate the wattage your system requires.
What brand is your current psu? A quality-psu is better than a no-brand one with 1,5 times the wattage, therefore you might just do it without psu upgrade.

About your card choice, if you can afford the better one then I'd recommend getting it. Otherwise you might regret your choice later when getting a poor framerate.

There's also lots of gimmicks you might want to take into account, like CUDA for nvidia cards, eyefinity for AMD etc...

If you are worried about heat an ideal airflow solution for computer case is intake from front below and exhaust to upper backside. This way your graphic card and processor heatsink will get a plentiful supply of cool air and hot exhaust air is blown to back and out of the case
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:39 am

That's pretty much how my case is set up. I have 3 120mm fans. One is in the lower front, one in the middle that is attached to my CPU blowing towards the back, and one on the upper back of my case. I have spots to fit 8 or so more 120mm fans on my case if I really want to do it (probably not). With the 560 Ti I posted, I'm pretty sure I won't have to deal with it. I'm mainly worried because I've had to deal with an overheating laptop for nearly 4 years and I'm sick of that poop.

Also, I'm almost positive I'm getting the 560 Ti. I'm just worried about my PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-text-_-
This is what I have. I've heard it's a very good brand to buy.

My mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-text-_-
life is so deep
JanZuKa

Postby JanZuKa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:45 am

Hmmhmm this is a tricky situation. It's hard to say for certain what will happen if the wattage (or current) is exceeded. It'll heat up that's for sure, like if you hook an ac adapter to a laptop that cannot provide the required current it'll heat up.
However quality psu's, like yours, should have failsafes to prevent catastrophic failures. Emphasizing 'should'

If both cards require 500 watts then I quess you will be fine, but I don't know how Amd or Nvidia have tested that, did they just grab some random processor, a dvd-drive and a hard-drive and looked how much that eats..?

Another thing worth noting, even if that psu is enough, it won't be the healthiest situation for it.
For example, if you were to use a 1000W psu your system would use only like half of it's capacity, putting very little pressure on the psu, whereas if you were to use your current one it'd be running on full throttle all the time.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:55 am

Well, I'll probably upgrade my PSU eventually anyway. Maybe at the end of the month after the last of my loans are paid of and I see how much dosh I have.
LongTimeGoner
PiXeLaDo

Postby PiXeLaDo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:31 am

The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:33 pm

JanZuKa wrote:Fans slowing down because lack of power is unlikely. A normal 80mm fan usually needs ~1A and if graphic card fans run at 12 volts then that's ~12 watts which is irrelevant to the amount the card itself requires.
Now your system would probably do fine until you run some intensive benchmark or game, when a crash/shutdown would most likely occur

Then you haven't seen my old severely underpowered system, lol. Broke the PSU in 4 months. :P

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....

WhatIsThisIDon'tEven
Davidrawr

Postby Davidrawr » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:55 pm

Why don't you just get yourself a GTX 480 and OC it, Rapt0r? Currently running one myself, and I can safely say you can pump everything to max at 1920x1080 and still enjoy 70-100 FPS.

Edit: Also, check out Silverstone if you're looking for a quality 600-1000 watt modular PSU for cheap.
My song thread!
You can cut our wings, but we will always remember what it was like to fly.

Return to “Off-Topic”