Hostility Rising - Still Hostile demo. Download and listen!

Everything else in here
This topic is 12 years and 10 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Huzzah!
R4L

Hostility Rising - Still Hostile demo. Download and listen!

Postby R4L » Thu May 19, 2011 7:16 pm

Hey, long time no see. I know it's been a long time, and I haven't been active on these forums for like, a year now, but I still haven't forgotten this place.

So, among a lot of things I've been busy with, one of them has been my band. I've really taken my time, trying to hone my producing skills and manage a two, sometimes three person band. It hasn't been easy...

So, I present my band's demo. It has a lot of rough patches, and one of the songs is horribly produced (blame it on lack of experience at the time it was recorded, and recklessness), but I think it's a really strong effort and a lot of passion went into every track. It's only me and my cousin on most of the songs, and sometimes our friend and fellow guitarist on some, but the rest is all us, singing and all...

All I really ask is that you give it an honest listen, and give your criticism here, or at my email: [email protected] and possibly spread it around. I'd be eternally in your debt if anyone would be willing to do such an awesome thing for us! :thumbup:

Also, check us out on my youtube channel and comment and subscribe if you want.

Anyway, here's the link.

R4L

Sig disabled. ~nwru
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Re: Hostility Rising - Still Hostile demo. Download and list

Postby amak11 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:04 pm

Sounds like you guys need to work on making the mixes a wee bit better. I really dont know what could be done (tho i know a couple members here would know). Sounds like a live performance without the crowd, is what im getting at. That's as much as im going to say for critisism. I really liked "The Evil Inside".
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Thu May 19, 2011 10:24 pm

Just add a crowd track.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Thu May 19, 2011 11:28 pm

Rapt0r wrote:Just add a crowd track.

Haha I might just have to. :thumbup:

amak11 wrote:Sounds like you guys need to work on making the mixes a wee bit better. I really dont know what could be done (tho i know a couple members here would know). Sounds like a live performance without the crowd, is what im getting at. That's as much as im going to say for critisism. I really liked "The Evil Inside".

Yeah I know they need to be better. I'm just not sure HOW to make them sound any better. Would you say it's really bad for a demo? Be honest.

Here's my equipment rundown:

1. An Alesis iMultiMix 8 mixer
2. HP G60 laptop with Reaper
3. 3 XLR mics (all are omnidirectional)

And the instruments:

1. Devlin DV400 with Seymour-Duncan hotrodded pickups
2. Epiphone Acoustic
3. Ibanez RG-350 DX stock Infinity III pickups
4. D-Drum set with Sabian cymbals

Also, maybe it's the way we record too. We don't have an enclosed space to record in, so we use my cousin's sister's room (that's not a lie), which is quite spacious lol.

When I record the set, I set the laptop in front of it, and then I throw a mic next to the bass drum. I want boom mics with stands eventually to put on each side of the set but that's expensive. That's how it is for now. The guitars are plugged into the mixer, and ran through USB to Reaper using ASIO4ALL. All I use is my Digitech Metal Master pedal for distortion, and I use Reaper's built in effects for editing like the noise gate, and compressor. I also use a reverb effect to "un-hollow" the sound I guess... It makes it sound more studio in my opinion but maybe it is too much.

Anyway, I don't know what else to do. I need to improve definitely, but I'm not sure how to make our sound better without spending tons of money on more equipment. Thanks for the comments so far though. :2thumbsup:

Sig disabled. ~nwru
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Fri May 20, 2011 1:44 am

you need to learn how to mix, that's what you can do

also you need to have everyone involved learn how to sing in god damn key jesus christ horrible vocals
bring the vocals way back in the mix, brings the drums wayyyy up, make sure the snare is properly mic'd, and get way more presence on the guitar

if you're going to record guitars with mic and not direct inputs, you need VERY good mics. use direct input to your computer
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Fri May 20, 2011 1:54 am

vedicardi wrote:you need to learn how to mix, that's what you can do

also you need to have everyone involved learn how to sing in god damn key jesus christ horrible vocals
bring the vocals way back in the mix, brings the drums wayyyy up, make sure the snare is properly mic'd, and get way more presence on the guitar

if you're going to record guitars with mic and not direct inputs, you need VERY good mics. use direct input to your computer

Oh, I do use direct input. I can either use a jack adapter to my mic port on my laptop, or use the mixer.

And like I said, it's just two of us. We don't have a singer yet. But much needed criticism.

Sig disabled. ~nwru
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Fri May 20, 2011 6:18 pm

jesus you just have really terrible guitar tone then

-- Edit: Fri May 20, 2011 4:19 pm --

well then again the mic port = extremely lo fi. use a usb input
Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Fri May 20, 2011 10:35 pm

vedicardi wrote:jesus you just have really terrible guitar tone then

-- Edit: Fri May 20, 2011 4:19 pm --

well then again the mic port = extremely lo fi. use a usb input

I'm working on fixing my tone. The mixer is USB so it shouldn't be hard. What about it is bad though in your opinion?

Sig disabled. ~nwru
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Sat May 21, 2011 2:08 am

it's far too distorted, there is no fidelity it's all just buzz. no bottom end and no mid, just buzzing
also the vocals suck really bad
Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Sat May 21, 2011 8:57 am

vedicardi wrote:it's far too distorted, there is no fidelity it's all just buzz. no bottom end and no mid, just buzzing
also the vocals suck really bad

Alrighty and yeah you're right I'm looking at my pedal now and the mid is down wayyyyyy low. I liked my tone because I thought it had that "stinging" feeling but you're right it does sound buzzy and I did have a lot of trouble trying to hear it on some tracks when I was mixing down songs.

The vocals however, heh.... guess we need a vocalist big time...

Sig disabled. ~nwru

Return to “Off-Topic”