Portal 2

Everything else in here
This topic is 12 years and 11 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
warhol

Re: Portal 2

Postby warhol » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:28 pm

It can! 20-30 years unkempt? Definitely! And, though I doubt their credibility, I've been reading a lot of timeline articles on the HL universe. I'm pretty sure that a load of events coincide. http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Timelin ... e_universe
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:10 pm

That timeline disproves everything you're saying. That shows Portal taking place BETWEEN the events of Half Life 1 and Half Life 2 and proves that Portal 2 takes place loooong after HL:2 Ep2
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
warhol

Postby warhol » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:18 pm

As such, the events of Portal 2 apparently coincide with the return of Gordon Freeman & The Resistance, around 202-.
So I think this is pretty much on track.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Coincide meaning happening together. Portal takes place in the 2000s. Gordon isn't woken up by G-Man until 2020s
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:40 pm

Rapt0r wrote:That's not possible. Portal 2 takes place 200 years after Portal 1. Are you implying there is 200 years between HL2 and HL2:Ep2? Also there is nothing to imply that either Portal game takes place during any Half Life game.

The span of time between Portal and Portal 2 is not entirely clear. During Portal 2's opening sequence, an automated 'Courtesy Call' implies that Test Subjects in stasis are revived every 50 days. However, when the player is next woken, an autonomous P.A. system reports that the time elapsed is "99999...99...". It is unknown what unit of time it refers to. The presence of unrotted paper, wood & upholstered furniture throughout the game's environments would seem to support a timespan of decades (ex: 9999 days, or 27 years) rather than centuries.

As such, the events of Portal 2 apparently coincide with the return of Gordon Freeman & The Resistance, around 202-.

So it's certainly not 200 years between the two. anyway

it appears there will be some aperture stuff in Half Life 2 ep 3 anyway with the boralis and aperture's involvement in that

The Borealis is an Aperture Science research vessel introduced in Half-Life 2: Episode Two. According to Isaac Kleiner, Aperture was working on a promising project, but in their rush to beat Black Mesa for funding, they neglected ordinary safety rules and it appears that the ship simply disappeared with parts of her dry dock, which earned her an almost legendary stature. It is assumed that the Borealis contained an immensely powerful and dangerous secret.

So it'll be interesting to see how that goes

If chell shows up, investigating Aperture after getting free or something.. that'd be boss.
also she is not "literally" mute
Last edited by vedicardi on Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:43 pm

Valve said there was a couple centuries between Portal 1 and 2 in a GameInformer interview. Also, it appears that the place didn't completely shut down after GLaDOS was "destroyed" initially, so it's not impossible for said people/robots to keep the place furnished.

Also, game is amazing. I played through it 3 times, and I've just started playing coop.

Also also, the steam timer thing isn't very accurate. at least, not until you get more than a few hours in.
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:57 pm

so 2 centuries, putting it in line with the events of HL2 onwards
warhol

Postby warhol » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:39 pm

tibiazak wrote:Valve said there was a couple centuries between Portal 1 and 2 in a GameInformer interview. Also, it appears that the place didn't completely shut down after GLaDOS was "destroyed" initially, so it's not impossible for said people/robots to keep the place furnished.
Whur got say ar
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:13 pm

vedicardi wrote:so 2 centuries, putting it in line with the events of HL2 onwards

2 centuries wouldn't put Portal 2 in HL2 time. It would be waaaaaaay after. Portal 1 takes place between HL1 and HL2 (less than 10 years before HL2).
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:10 am

Just finished it. Can't wait to try Co-op. Two puzzles really stumped me though, one was because I missed a bit of portal-able wall and the other just took me a long ass time to figure out. Haven't been so challenged in a while though.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:12 am

One thing that I noticed a bit half way through the coop isthe game sorta holds you hand a bit too much on portal placements. There will either be a single square to place a portal onto or there will be a huge section but it'll be marked where to place your portals. Kinda derp babby mode
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:27 am

They've kinda always done the former though for the most part.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:09 am

Rapt0r wrote:
vedicardi wrote:so 2 centuries, putting it in line with the events of HL2 onwards

2 centuries wouldn't put Portal 2 in HL2 time. It would be waaaaaaay after. Portal 1 takes place between HL1 and HL2 (less than 10 years before HL2).

I meant decades
but if that's the case, wouldn't the end of Portal 2 spoil the direct of the half life series? I doesn't seem logical that they would do something like that.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:34 am

How does it spoil anything? You just see an open field. That could be there regardless of what happens.
Fallujah

Postby Fallujah » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:23 pm

Rapt0r wrote:How does it spoil anything? You just see an open field. That could be there regardless of what happens.

True the ending doesn't spoil anything from the Hlaf-Life games, but I was honestly expecting that when the doors of the elevator opened, that Chell would be faced with a snow covered area, like where Hl2L:E2 led you to believe you were going, and/or Chell to captured by some Combine soldiers, possibly adding Chell into the next Half-Life game.

Return to “Off-Topic”