Activision. No GuitarHero, DJHero or TrueCrime.

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
abloobloo
RedShadow

Activision. No GuitarHero, DJHero or TrueCrime.

Postby RedShadow » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:43 pm

http://investor.activision.com/released ... eID=548900
At the same time, due to continued declines in the music genre, the company will disband Activision Publishing's Guitar Hero business unit and discontinue development on its Guitar Hero game for 2011. The company also will stop development on True Crime: Hong Kong™. These decisions are based on the desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world's best interactive entertainment experiences.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3294 ... es_On_Digi
tal.php
The Guitar Hero series is finished, at least for now, with no game forthcoming for 2011 and its business unit to be disbanded, publisher Activision Blizzard announced today -- citing declines in the music genre and a desire to focus on higher-margin opportunities in the online space.

Activision's axe didn't stop with the once-thriving Guitar Hero franchise. The company also terminated open world game True Crime: Hong Kong, in development by Vancouver-based United Front Games.

This means that in the year to come it will concentrate on Blizzard's online games, the Call of Duty brand -- and plans to build a "best-in-class digital community" around it, as well as Bungie's upcoming project in development.

Welp. Was about time.
Tho, I'm really sad over True Crime. I was really looking forward to it. Oh well.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Re: Activision. No GuitarHero, DJHero or TrueCrime.

Postby amak11 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:47 pm

Meh... so long as they keep DLC coming for GH for a couple years, im happy.

True Crime also saddens me, i loved the first 2 :(
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

drihscol

Postby drihscol » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:54 pm

Guitar Hero is dead.
Long live Rock Band.
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bajnmkinaopofbfaopenlfooloknfjlf?hl=en-US

Spoiler:Bands I like

Pink Floyd
Dream Theater
Rush
Radiohead
The Pixies
The Doors
Elo
Ok Go
Jethro Tull
The Beatles
Pearl Jam
Alice In Chains

abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:09 pm

But their publisher is dead.
LOL
KenshinHimuraRK

Postby KenshinHimuraRK » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:13 pm

RedShadow wrote:due to continued declines in the music genre

What a lame excuse. They can't make a good game and put the blame on the industry...
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:44 pm

Dude, the genre is dieing. About the only games that are garenteed to sell are dancing games. The user just doesnt want to play music games (that contain plastic instruments) anymore.
Last edited by amak11 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:45 pm

WOR was excellent.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
rukastar

Postby rukastar » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:00 pm

This really depresses me. A world without GH will be a bleak one indeed.
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:36 pm

For all you good riddance folks out there, remember, a lot of people are out of a job.

Guitar Hero was never a bad game. A great framework was put in place with the first few games. The problem was the bombardment and saturation that Activision is great at doing.

With MTV Games shutting down and Viacom selling Harmonix, things don't look well there, but I do hope that Harmonix can stay afloat and once again have a competitor to spur more innovation in the genre.
WINNING!..DUH!
ThickAsABrick

Postby ThickAsABrick » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 pm

If it wasn't for guitar hero, there would be no FoF, it was such a huge influence and starter for the guitar music games and it is a sad loss. Though after World Tour, the originality seemed lossed and they were just trying to churn them out. I saw the article myself on msn, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41498445/?GT1=43001

-- Edit: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:04 pm --

amak11 wrote:Dude, the genre is dieing. About the only games that are garenteed to sell are dancing games. The user just doesnt want to play music games (that contain plastic instruments) anymore.

This is a good point because there was a guitar hero tournament at a restaurant for months in my area and many weeks i was the only one playing and won the grand prize, and the restaurant is now thinking of having a Dance Dance revolution tournament instead to get more people interested to play.
On the Topic of Six Year Old Girls:
Electro Tomato wrote:Because I want to have sex with them, that's why

ThickAsABrick's Theme Hero: 1950-2010 THE MUNSTERS ADDED! viewtopic.php?f=5&p=559396#p559396
estemshorn

Postby estemshorn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:15 pm

and nothing of value was lost.

loljk, this actually sucks a little, because after GH:WoR being the best activision gh game, I would've gladly had moar guitar hero (even if it was guitar hero 7).
Image Image
Image Image

Amak11 wrote:haha, if only you were of age
LOL
KenshinHimuraRK

Postby KenshinHimuraRK » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Lysdestic wrote:The problem was the bombardment and saturation that Activision is great at doing.

This.

A semi-related example: http://www.theonion.com/video/entertainment-scientists-warn-miley-cyrus-will-be,14246/
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:33 pm

estemshorn wrote:loljk, this actually sucks a little, because after GH:WoR being the best activision gh game, I would've gladly had moar guitar hero (even if it was guitar hero 7).

Seconded. WOR was much better than Rock Band 3 in my opinion.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
estemshorn

Postby estemshorn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:43 pm

Lysdestic wrote:The problem was the bombardment and saturation that Activision is great at doing.

Welcome to activision, where we completely milk a franchise as much as possible and then a year later be all like "baww our games aren't popular"
Image Image
Image Image

Amak11 wrote:haha, if only you were of age
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:47 pm

amak11 wrote:Dude, the genre is dieing. About the only games that are garenteed to sell are dancing games. The user just doesnt want to play music games (that contain plastic instruments) anymore.

for one if you can't spell guarantee you probably shouldn't be using it in a sentence. Secondly, you're wrong. "The user" is in your head.
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **

Return to “Off-Topic”