The Sony NGP (Next Generation Portable)

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
tibiazak

Re: The Sony NGP (Next Generation Portable)

Postby tibiazak » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:09 pm

aander91 wrote:Do we have any solid facts regarding whether or not anything that I said or bgamer said is accurate?

Uh.. yes. BG's right. Read any of the articles about the reveal. Sony's using a new type of flash memory card for their games. Here's a link: http://kotaku.com/5744485/the-psp-2-revealed
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:27 am

Well sht. Completely read over that part. Disregard my nonsense.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:17 am

Fun little aside, I've also seen Albums sold in stores on SD cards. Was an interesting sight to see.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:47 am

aander91 wrote:
blazingamer wrote:Wait, I'm lost, why wouldn't you be able to buy any games used? They promise having memory cards as the physical form of media distribution with the PSP2, most likely going to be Pro Stick Duo since it is Sony brand. As far as I can recall, physical copy = ability to sell used games. Only way this wouldn't work is if they require you to type in the game's serial code and sync it with your PSN.

Wait, I thought they were only selling games in downloadable format? They're actually going sell games on Memory cards? That seems...interesting. Very contradictory to conventional uses of memory card readers on portable devices. If so, then yeah, I'd feel much better about buying this. Do we have any solid facts regarding whether or not anything that I said or bgamer said is accurate?

>contradictory
I have ever heard of this device called the Nintendo DS? If I remember right, I think it also using memory cards. Crazy world we live in...

hurr It probably has a card slot for storage (or maybe internal storage?) and a slot for GAMES
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:54 am

Contradictory in the way that portable gaming devices in the past have used these kinds of formats as expandable memory and not to actually hold the marketed gaming medium. The DS used carts but it wasn't like you could buy blank DS carts from your local Walmart and put movies and music on them. That's why I find this scenario odd. Also, two card slots? For the same format? If so then the hardware is both excessive and redundant (well it already is with those two cameras/mics).
COUNTERPOINT

Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:01 am

Or it can have a Pro Duo slot and a proprietary PSP2 card slot. The DSi has an SD slot alongside the DS card slot
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:10 am

Makes sense. Can't help but to think games are going to be pretty expensive though, PD's are like double the price of SD's.
COUNTERPOINT

Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:11 am

Reading comprehension.

I meant Pro Duo as storage and the proprietary PSP2 card as games.
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:13 am

Derp
COUNTERPOINT

crazy.neo

Postby crazy.neo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:36 am

Oh boy, Sony did it again! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

Except, it doesn't. I'd love to work in the industry just to point out how retarded all these decisions are. How the hell do they even consider making a portable device when the battery lasts for only a few hours? Seriously? Have they learned nothing from the success of the GB/GBC/GBA and DS, to an extent, considering the battery was nearly decent? MAKE PORTABLE DEVICES PORTABLE. When did it become acceptable to call something that will only fit in certain pockets, in certain clothes, with miserable battery life, a portable device? I'd take a PSP with triple battery life any day over this crap. Oh, and the games. Can't wait for the PS3 ports of games with hour-long levels that surely are meant to be played by people that have 15 minutes to change stations. New, fast-paced IP's are needed to turn this around. If it's gonna be like the PSP where the library was full of games trying to emulate the PS2 experience and failing at it, let it die. And why does it need a touchscreen? Following the trend much? Well, at least it has proper analog this time around... That's seriously the only good thing I can say about this.

Just get a DS and Picross 3D. Maybe Layton too.
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:08 am

Rapt0r wrote:
>contradictory
I have ever heard of this device called the Nintendo DS? If I remember right, I think it also using memory cards. Crazy world we live in...

hurr It probably has a card slot for storage (or maybe internal storage?) and a slot for GAMES

asdfjasjdfjaks *head asplodes*

On a side note, I've always wanted an OpenPandora, they look like the perfect blend between DS and PSP except there was no corporate backing which means hard lack of unique games. Well, it was made more for the homebrew scene anyway.
warhol

Postby warhol » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:49 am

It's like everything that the world wanted to put into a console

Except without the console.
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:13 am

The Open Pandora is a horrible device. It looks great but it's not in anyway (unless you love writing your own code and having a portable device to run it on)
googlyboogly
iamsensay

Postby iamsensay » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:24 am

I'm with raptor on this.

It sounds pretty awesome and was certainly an interesting read but come on it's very niche market stuff.

Also every individual function can be done to a somewhat better degree on other devices anyway and ok, yes it might be cool to emulate ps1/look through guides or whatever on the web/play mp3 at the same time in a portable fashion, but oh wait i can already do that on my 8 hour battery life laptop, so then the advantage is that it's...smaller? See, that market of appeal is shrinking again.

The main appeal i can see is for coders as pointed out. And I myself would have an interest if the device could be used with aircrack because in those situations size DOES matter and a stealth device like that would be really incredibly useful.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:36 am

I wouldnt say it's horrible. Every device has a function, what sensay said even could cound as a possible function.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Return to “Off-Topic”