Music stereotypes

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 1 month old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
LOL
KenshinHimuraRK

Music stereotypes

Postby KenshinHimuraRK » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:32 pm

What are the stereotypes about music listeners that you agree or disagree with?

I can only speak about metal, not because it's the only genre I listen to (which is not even close to reality), but because most of my close friends listen primarily to it.
What I usually read about and experience (from other's point of view) is that metal listeners are usually:

• introspective
  • close-minded
  • stupid / lacking intelligence
  • violent
And I must say, the introspective one is probably right. They're definitely not the most popular people nor they want or try to be.
Also, when it comes to music taste, they're sometimes close-minded too, meaning that they like metal and only metal, or similar genres like hard rock.
About stupidity, it couldn't differ more from reality. The smartest and more open-minded people I know are metal fans, and you can have a nice debate with one about almost any topic.
Being violent never came into my mind actually, even if some of them "look" violent, judging by the clothes and physical appearance, I never felt threatened by any metal fan, and they were always very kind to me and everyone.

I'll try to talk about other genres later, of course it won't be much accurate, but this is good for now, since it's the most liked music genre in this forum.
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Re: Music stereotypes

Postby Jama7301 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:42 pm

They're also very elitist. /stereotype
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:56 pm

Wat. Most of my friends listen to metal (including myself) and are none of those.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
'_>'
SUSAltd

Postby SUSAltd » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:10 am

Metal people wear torn vests, ride motorcycles, have long hair, have tattoos, etc. And the only kind of metal is death metal.

Also, musicians don't get paid well.
"What would a musician do if he/she won $1000000?
Continue to play gigs until the money runs out."

Spoiler:

ImageCharting Achievements:
1st place 2009 April Novice Guitar competition
3rd place 2009 May Expert Guitar competition
4th place 2009 June Expert Guitar competition
1st place 2010 February Guitar competition
1st place 2010 April Guitar Competition
2nd place 2010 May Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 June Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 August Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 December Guitar Competition

Cocaine
Dr Rockso

Postby Dr Rockso » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:18 am

That indie fans are teh ghey.

I don't know if it's true, but from a trip through /mu/, I can't say it's completely false.
Signature
crazy.neo

Postby crazy.neo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:32 am

Electronic/House Music:
I mainly listen to indie (straight male here Rockso, don't hit in me u silly gurlz ~_*, also /mu/ is teh real ghey), but some 5 years ago I began to take an interest in both listening to and making electronic sounds. And let me tell you, DJ's are the most as*ole, non-talented, smug and dumb people that you will probably ever meet. First of all, they take themselves way too seriously: these brainless wads think that intercutting 3 songs into each other over a 128 BPM background drum beat is "making music", and have long-winded discussions about their sets, which if you're lucky are original, but most of the time are a Ministry of Sound playlist. It's not music and it's not creative.

Second, their music taste is terrible. They will constantly play some remix of an old song, frequently Journey or The Police or something, and not even realize what it is, attributing the track to the DJ's remix that they are playing and not the band. Even their electronic taste is terrible, consisting mainly of Edward Maya, DeadMau5 , Scooter or Bob Sinclair, and never Aphex Twin, Death From Above 1979 or Cibo Matto.

Third, they feel that equipment is everything, spending huge amounts of money in equipment that can easily be replaced by a software solution (not always) and exibiting their sh*tty Skullcandy headphones around, that not only do not contribute anything to the spectator, are generally bass specific (something that can be simulated with specific equalizers and transform filters, with much superior results, and hides detail in every not bass-ridden track ) and a 60 dollar pair of headphones could probably perform much better if you know your stuff. It's like they are audiophiles, but in reverse. There are exceptions, I've met nice, talented people over the years, but dammit I'm so biased now that honestly whenever I shake a DJ's hand I just assume they are talentless douchebags, and I rarely get proven otherewise.
'_>'
SUSAltd

Postby SUSAltd » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:56 am

Also,
"How do you get a guitarist to play quietly?
Give him some sheet music."

Spoiler:

NNdimethyltryptamine
Electro Tomato

Postby Electro Tomato » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:24 am

Jama7301 wrote:They're also very elitist. /stereotype

:)
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:30 am

Electro Tomato wrote:
Jama7301 wrote:They're also very elitist. /stereotype

:)

To expand further, elitism is a quality found in most 'serious' music fans of any genre. It can commonly be seen though in fans of metal and indie fans.

SUSAltd wrote: And the only kind of metal is death metal.

I've seen this before, and it made me sad. I had a guy say with a straight face that bands akin to Metallica and other early metal bands weren't metal.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
LOL
KenshinHimuraRK

Postby KenshinHimuraRK » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:39 pm

crazy.neo wrote:Electronic/House Music:
And let me tell you, DJ's are the most as*ole, non-talented, smug and dumb people that you will probably ever meet. First of all, they take themselves way too seriously: these brainless wads think that intercutting 3 songs into each other over a 128 BPM background drum beat is "making music", and have long-winded discussions about their sets, which if you're lucky are original, but most of the time are a Ministry of Sound playlist. It's not music and it's not creative.

I have a teacher that is a DJ and he does sound a bit cocky, saying how electronic music will change the world and real instruments won't be necessary anymore.
I respect artists like Aphex Twin, but for me, they're exceptions in a sea of untalented people.

Also, about metal fans, I would say most of them loves beer. But that's true for most people in the world anyway...
back from the dead
thebocaj

Postby thebocaj » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:56 pm

KenshinHimuraRK wrote:Also, about metal fans, I would say most of them loves beer. But that's true for most people in the world anyway...

Especially folk metal fans.
My Charts:
I · II · III · IV · V · VI · Clone Hero conversions
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:11 pm

Funny you should say that Jama, cause from the outside looking in it seems like Metallica is Death Metal, where as there is only one genre of metal.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
'_>'
SUSAltd

Postby SUSAltd » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:14 pm

KenshinHimuraRK wrote:electronic music will change the world and real instruments won't be necessary anymore.

>:o

Spoiler:

back from the dead
thebocaj

Postby thebocaj » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:17 pm

SUSAltd wrote:
KenshinHimuraRK wrote:electronic music will change the world and real instruments won't be necessary anymore.

>:o

Does PaperJamz count?
My Charts:
I · II · III · IV · V · VI · Clone Hero conversions
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Rapt0r wrote:Wat. Most of my friends listen to metal (including myself) and are none of those.

That's basically what this thread is about dude. Things that people generally believe about fans of a genre that are usually incorrect.

Classical musicians: only listen to classical, and their parents won't let them listen to anything else. It's funny because most classical musicians (at least my age) base their knowledge of classical music on what they play and only a bit more than that. Furthermore, most classical musicians tend to be metal fans as well as other things, which comes as a shock to many.

I have met certain people who fit into this "sheltered" stereotype, and everyone hated her because she always gave us weird looks when we were trying to have fun. She also dressed like she was eight though, so I'm not really sure what was going on there, especially since she had a cellist brother who was a pretty cool guy.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble

Return to “Off-Topic”