PS3 Root key found

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 6 days old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Rapt0r

PS3 Root key found

Postby Rapt0r » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:04 am

Looks like the PS3 has the worst security of any console ever

http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2010/12/29/vid ... -security/
http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2011/01/02/the-ps3-root-keys/
http://www.psp-hacks.com/2011/01/02/enc ... ares/#more

Also, after finding the PS3 root keys, the PSP keys were also quickly found.

brb signing everything ever as legit and Sony can't do a damned thing about it.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Re: PS3 Root key found

Postby amak11 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:11 am

Ya know it wouldnt take them much to create a XMB2 to patch said vunerability. Then again, why create a super secure OS when you can't modify the file system. Meh, the flaw was bound to be found. Now Sony going to send out large updates to fix it...once again thanks to the hackers.... -.-

Edit --

Woo, a video. time to watch
Last edited by amak11 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:14 am

They can't patch it. This is the key Sony uses to sign every piece of software on the PS3 to make it legit. To patch this would be to remove that key which would make every game and piece of software available cease to function. The PS3 really would have NO GAEMS.

I don't think you realize how much of a duck up this is
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:35 am

why is it you who always post this crap. Going all 360 fanboy cause 360 is losing GAEMS eh

-- Edit --

The video was very entertianing, very informative too. It appears to be a hardware/software bug which allows access to the XDR RAM (i think thats the name). That's the main reason they were able to get the keys. A rather BIG doorway to allow them access. Im also surprised they were able to decrypt the file system on the PS3 HDD. Meh, i'll have to find the key notes, have a good read through them. Kinda arrogant of Sony to a release a system with no good security, must be a Kevin Butler thing :P
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:35 pm

What the hell is your problem? Where have I EVER made any statement that makes me a 360 fanboy? Seriously?

>he has a 360 gamercard in his sig
>OMIGAWD HE'S A FANBOI

I hate every console this generation. They're all worthless. One is a wagglan machine and the other 2 run like poop. All devs care about is pumping out the best graphics on outdated hardware with zero regard for performance. At least the Wii has games that run fullspeed.

Deal with it.

Also more info http://gbatemp.net/t272700-ps3-psp-priv ... s-released
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:55 pm

amak11 wrote:why is it you who always post this crap. Going all 360 fanboy cause 360 is losing GAEMS eh

-- Edit --

The video was very entertianing, very informative too. It appears to be a hardware/software bug which allows access to the XDR RAM (i think thats the name). That's the main reason they were able to get the keys. A rather BIG doorway to allow them access. Im also surprised they were able to decrypt the file system on the PS3 HDD. Meh, i'll have to find the key notes, have a good read through them. Kinda arrogant of Sony to a release a system with no good security, must be a Kevin Butler thing :P

this has absolutely nothing to do with the 360 jesus christ man

if they hadn't removed otherOS they wouldn't have to worry about this sort of thing. real smart thinking to remove a FEATURE from your console
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:49 pm

Nah, with OtherOS still there, someone eventually would have cracked it. Not every hack is solely for the purpose of running homebrew code.

Also, Amak. You do realize this means the PS3 will lose GAEMS right? A lot of developers work with the PS3 because of how secure it was. There was no chance their game could have been pirated (until the service mode exploit came about). Now, with the PS3 essentially becoming completely open, devs (I should be saying publishers) are going to be a bit more weary about putting games out of a system that is just going to be pirated.

Here's hoping this more games for glorious PC master race! MGS5 PC exclusive here we come!
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Rapt0r wrote:Here's hoping this more games for glorious PC master race! MGS5 PC exclusive (with draconian DRM that requires you to have a disc in the drive, be online the entire time you play it, and enter your social security number during installation) here we come!

Fixed. :)
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:51 pm

>implying I won't just crack it and remove all of that and have a better game
f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:01 pm

O_O well... I think it's safe to say that sony is downright screwed...
Image Image
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:32 pm

And I just got one. Figures.

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:40 pm

I also forgot to mention that this will destroy the online gaming aspect. HACKERS HACKERS EVERYWHERE and not a thing anyone can do about it.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:09 pm

vedicardi wrote:if they hadn't removed otherOS they wouldn't have to worry about this sort of thing. real smart thinking to remove a FEATURE from your console

OtherOS was/is always there, just hidden. I wouldnt even blame sony anymore for removing OTherOS. The Yellowdog linux devs claimed that they couldnt patch a vulnerability in their OS and claimed that its a major security hole for the console (like what can you do on PS3 linux anyways, at most word processing and internet).
Rapt0r wrote:What the hell is your problem? Where have I EVER made any statement that makes me a 360 fanboy? Seriously?

In most cases people who state "PS3 has no GAEMS" are 360 fanboy's. I have all consoles, including a damn good PC. I still prefer to play my PS3 more cause that's where all my good GAEMS are. So go ahead call me a PS3 fanboy, like a give a damn. This forum has already called me a GH fanboy for liking that series over the other. If i recall, PC guys typically look down on consoles because are infirior to the mighty PC (including Macs)

Rapt0r wrote:Also, Amak. You do realize this means the PS3 will lose GAEMS right? A lot of developers work with the PS3 because of how secure it was. There was no chance their game could have been pirated (until the service mode exploit came about). Now, with the PS3 essentially becoming completely open, devs (I should be saying publishers) are going to be a bit more weary about putting games out of a system that is just going to be pirated.

And compare that to how many cracked 360 and Wiis there are in the wild. Imagine how many people pirated Halo Reach, or Donkey Kong Returns. Hypothetically, if i was developing a game on 360 and PS3, why would i cut half my profits for a security flaw. I would lose more money if i made it for one system, then i would if i made it for 2 and had it pirated on both. So your realizations are purely myth :tongue2:

The other problem with your statement is that the PS3 already had a large learning curve for developers because it does thing differently then the 360 (the main reason behind the "PS3 has no GAEMS" crap). So it had less games coming to it begin with.

Rapt0r wrote:I also forgot to mention that this will destroy the online gaming aspect. HACKERS HACKERS EVERYWHERE and not a thing anyone can do about it.

Now PC, and 360 have hackers too, It's not actually up to the console makers to provide security against people who hack games. (Like whos gonna hack online on a wii, :P )

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....

back from the dead
thebocaj

Postby thebocaj » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:23 pm

Just thought I'd throw in something:
Don't forget, not everyone is a pirate/hacker. There will still likely be a high percentage of PS3 users who aren't willing to go through hacking and everything, thinking things like "oooooh nooooo, this is illegal" and will still buy the games from the shops. Or online. Or wherever.
My Charts:
I · II · III · IV · V · VI · Clone Hero conversions
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:53 pm

The big issue is online though. You can pirate Modern Warfare on PC but you can't get online access without paying. On PS3, you get both, plus the ability to change game attributes online.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble

Return to “Off-Topic”