PS3 Root key found

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 1 week old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Rapt0r

Re: PS3 Root key found

Postby Rapt0r » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:45 pm

You're looking past they THEY'RE PUTTING EVERYONE WHO VIEW A VIDEO ON YOUTUBE ON A LIST OF PEOPLE TO LOOK OUT FOR.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:02 am

It said they're targeting specific people, which again, I can understand. What I wouldn't like is if Sony put a price tag on these guys. Have we seen any numbers yet? If Sony ends up winning a lawsuit and ends up forcing these guys to pay ungodly amounts, then it's just bullying.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:53 am

aander91 wrote:If they can nail the people who they KNOW will get the keys as soon as they add them, then the chances of this happening again drop dramatically.

The method is already out there. The keys can all be broken the same way because Sony implemented it incorrectly. They need to fix the implementation.
runnin' down a dream
DreamOnMan92

Postby DreamOnMan92 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:28 am

Sony is to now what the RIAA was to the 2000s. Except Sony is probably way more screwed.
DREAMONSONGS THREAD Newest:
Tom Petty - Don't Do Me Like That
Bon Jovi - Runaway
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:36 am

Who cares if they say they're only targeting certain people. They'll still have all of the IP addresses of EVERYONE. Don't you think that will make them suspicious of everyone who viewed said video? I don't really understand, though, what they plan to gain from this. The only thing they get is yeah, they watched a video about PS3 hacking. OH GOD CRIMINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you think it's right for big brotha to get the IP of everyone who has watched lock picking videos, vending machine hacking, or <insert illegal activity here> and then keep you under close watch?
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:15 pm

Dude, it doesn't really say this. I can see where you're getting this from, but I don't think they're actually grabbing IPs from nobodies. They're just using various sources to hunt down hackers, it's not like they're getting in on the Patriot Act.
COUNTERPOINT

tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:08 pm

I doubt they could get youtube to deliver the IPs of everyone who's ever watched a particular video - a judge would have to issue the subpoena, and no judge with any knowledge of the case would require the IPs of all the viewers of a video. However, it would make sense for them to subpoena for the IPs of the video uploaders or the people that posted about the hack, which is what the article says they're doing.
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:18 pm

I definitely thought that it is incredibly illegal to record someone IP without the user having knowledge. Youtube only does it for statistics reasoning, if i remember right. Why do you think you can see where your video is most viewed, durr.

-- Edit --

Also Rapt0r is becoming incredibly paranoid
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

estemshorn

Postby estemshorn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:46 pm

amak11 wrote:I definitely thought that it is incredibly illegal to record someone IP without the user having knowledge.

Tons of sites have the ip adresses of users, pretty much all do.
I don't think that's illegal. (but then again i'm not a lawyer)
Image Image
Image Image

Amak11 wrote:haha, if only you were of age
crazy.neo

Postby crazy.neo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:48 pm

amak11 wrote:I definitely thought that it is incredibly illegal to record someone IP without the user having knowledge. Youtube only does it for statistics reasoning, if i remember right. Why do you think you can see where your video is most viewed, durr.

-- Edit --

Also Rapt0r is becoming incredibly paranoid

You do realize that most websites and keep a record of your IP, right? Even Google does this, so they can track you around the web and show you ads based in your past searches. Also, they keep the records for a long time, and associate out with a profile. Forum software uses it to ban and restrict users.

I, for one, am totally against any company that implements any kind of restrictions or punishes me in some way for using what I bought, however I wish. Also, does anyone remember this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_ BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal ? Sony has no respect for their clients, and as such I have no respect for them. Don't want me to jailbreak my console? Should have protected it better, that's not my fault nor responsibility. I bought it, I do whatever I want with it. u mad, Sony? Deal with it.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:58 pm

I do know, but that's within their rights. But im saying if they were collecting them for the purpose of punishing people (in a criminal sense), its more a matter of the law and the internet
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

estemshorn

Postby estemshorn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:00 pm

crazy.neo wrote:u mad, Sony? Deal with it.

-- Edit: Mon, Feb 07, 2011 6:05 --

amak11 wrote:if they were collecting them for the purpose of punishing people (in a criminal sense)

Pretty sure that that is legal too.
Image Image
Image Image

Amak11 wrote:haha, if only you were of age
LongTimeGoner
PiXeLaDo

Postby PiXeLaDo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:42 pm

amak11 wrote:I do know, but that's within their rights. But im saying if they were collecting them for the purpose of punishing people (in a criminal sense), its more a matter of the law and the internet

Even if it's within their rights, it aint right to lock it up so tightly. This is the exact same reason causing so much apple vs pc nonsense.

I am really considering to buy a PS3 now, because the console is getting cheaper and it's now open to homebrew apps (no, online isnt one of my priorities).
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:55 pm

I also want a PS3 for a homebrew machine. I want a more modern console for my emulation needs (my Xbox is fine and dandy but full speed N64 emulation just isn't there)
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:18 pm

And there it is. It's now confirmed that Sony is snagging info of viewers too. I watched the video and am personally not really concerned, but I think it's safe to say that this is going to get ugly.
COUNTERPOINT

Return to “Off-Topic”