Favorite Albums of 2010

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
timfloss, apparently
timfoss

Re: Favorite Albums of 2010

Postby timfoss » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:29 am

mrstuprigge wrote:BIG LIST (I included ep's too because the ones on here are definitely worthy):

1. Kanye West

Stopped reading right here.
A bit sleepy
Kotti

Postby Kotti » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:51 am

mrstuprigge wrote:7. 65daysofstatic - We Were Exploding Anyway

Seventh? I thought it was very, very mediocre.

Forgot some albums in my original post. Heathen's Evolution of Chaos was very good, but not quite as good as Ironbound and Keep of Kalessin's Reptilian was pretty good. I need to listen Lunatic Soul's second album more before judging it, but so far it seems to be worse than the first album.

@porknchili: Are you somehow horribly failing to get your point through or do you really believe that technicality equals quality?
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:11 pm

My favorite albums from 2010 in no particular order:

As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise
MCR - Danger Days [yes I like MCR. I dare you to try flaming me for that.]
TesseracT - Concealing Fate EP
Showbread - Who Can Know It? (Which is free from www.showbread.net - go get it)
Satellite - Ring The Bells EP
Linkin Park - A Thousand Suns
Flobots - Survival Story
A7x - Nightmare
Angels & Airwaves - LOVE
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
Tormann71's Brother
mrstuprigge

Postby mrstuprigge » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:49 pm

Kotti wrote:

i liked it a lot, but i really like electronic music. i guess if you aren't into electronic stuff then it wouldn't be too great.

tibiazak wrote:TesseracT - Concealing Fate EP

totally forgot about this one.

@timfoss - as someone who hated kanye west 2-3 months ago i understand, but i can honestly say that it's the best album i've heard all year. and if you read the rest of my list you will see that that is the only hip-hop album present.

ImageImageImageImageImage

53 Songs! (Newest: Chiodos, The Memorials, Tera Melos, Defeater)

ImageImage
Underoath - Define The Great Line Full Album WIP (6/11 songs complete)
WINNING!..DUH!
ThickAsABrick

Postby ThickAsABrick » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:00 pm

Saying what is good music is all opinion and subjective anyway. I happened to like the sound/composition/lyrics/writing found in classic/progressive rock from mostly the 70s. I am not into the extreme hardcore death metal music, guitar with screaming vocals etc. I have not been able to really find anyone today that can produce that same feel and sound because this is a new time period. For example with rap music, which artists really sound exactly like the way 80s rap artists made music? The answer is because it is a different time period. Most people have an eclectic taste in music and can get into different styles and things, I am very particular in what I like and what sounds good to me and that is the old school stuff.
On the Topic of Six Year Old Girls:
Electro Tomato wrote:Because I want to have sex with them, that's why

ThickAsABrick's Theme Hero: 1950-2010 THE MUNSTERS ADDED! viewtopic.php?f=5&p=559396#p559396
I'm in hibernation
porknchili

Postby porknchili » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:17 pm

ThickAsABrick wrote:Saying what is good music is all opinion and subjective anyway. I happened to like the sound/composition/lyrics/writing found in classic/progressive rock from mostly the 70s. I am not into the extreme hardcore death metal music, guitar with screaming vocals etc. I have not been able to really find anyone today that can produce that same feel and sound because this is a new time period. For example with rap music, which artists really sound exactly like the way 80s rap artists made music? The answer is because it is a different time period. Most people have an eclectic taste in music and can get into different styles and things, I am very particular in what I like and what sounds good to me and that is the old school stuff.

Agreed (also u are kinda right about musicianship getting worse now that i think about it because of rap of the 80-90s and now)

-- Edit: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:18 pm --

Kotti wrote:

Forgot some albums in my original post. Heathen's Evolution of Chaos was very good, but not quite as good as Ironbound and Keep of Kalessin's Reptilian was pretty good. I need to listen Lunatic Soul's second album more before judging it, but so far it seems to be worse than the first album.

@porknchili: Are you somehow horribly failing to get your point through or do you really believe that technicality equals quality?

Techicality=/= quality in most cases
Tormann71's Brother
mrstuprigge

Postby mrstuprigge » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:19 pm

ThickAsABrick wrote:Saying what is good music is all opinion and subjective anyway. I happened to like the sound/composition/lyrics/writing found in classic/progressive rock from mostly the 70s. I am not into the extreme hardcore death metal music, guitar with screaming vocals etc. I have not been able to really find anyone today that can produce that same feel and sound because this is a new time period. For example with rap music, which artists really sound exactly like the way 80s rap artists made music? The answer is because it is a different time period. Most people have an eclectic taste in music and can get into different styles and things, I am very particular in what I like and what sounds good to me and that is the old school stuff.

a lot of that vibe of old music just can't be found now because of how they record things. a lot of music now is "perfect." every note is always on beat and exactly on pitch. the role that computers take in recording music now loses a lot of the authentic sound that was present in the 60's/70's.

ImageImage
I'm in hibernation
porknchili

Postby porknchili » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:20 pm

How about we get back on topic now shall we?
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:25 pm

that doesn't justify saying
"The Album is dead, and this generation sucks for music."
lol. the album isn't even "dead"

-- Edit: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:26 pm --

Agreed (also u are kinda right about musicianship getting worse now that i think about it because of rap of the 80-90s and now)

You're basing the musicianship of 30 years off of one genre of music? haha

-- Edit: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:27 pm --

timfoss wrote:
mrstuprigge wrote:BIG LIST (I included ep's too because the ones on here are definitely worthy):

1. Kanye West

Stopped reading right here.

betting $20 you haven't listened to the album once
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
WINNING!..DUH!
ThickAsABrick

Postby ThickAsABrick » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:45 pm

mrstuprigge wrote:

a lot of that vibe of old music just can't be found now because of how they record things. a lot of music now is "perfect." every note is always on beat and exactly on pitch. the role that computers take in recording music now loses a lot of the authentic sound that was present in the 60's/70's.

This is def. true because artists in the 60s/70s and 80s and 90s even used analog recording using 8/16/24 track master tapes. This all changed with digital recordings and putting music on cds rather than Vinyl/8track/cassettes. It's also the case that because of the environment we live in, different politics, different social events occuring in the world changes the subject of music, its sounds. Also people's taste in music changes too which affects what music artists put out many times. Now vedi you are right that the album did not technically die because everyone still makes albums, but the focus of popularity has gone back to the singles.And with mp3s and dl on the internet people can just get one or two songs they like from an album. My period of music I like the album was EVERYTHING it was a whole journey and listening experience to hear the whole album. That why I said the album is dead. Slashfan asked us what was your favorite ALBUMS of 2010, I have some songs/singles I like from 2010, but it's tough to think of a favorite whole album for me.
On the Topic of Six Year Old Girls:
Electro Tomato wrote:Because I want to have sex with them, that's why

ThickAsABrick's Theme Hero: 1950-2010 THE MUNSTERS ADDED! viewtopic.php?f=5&p=559396#p559396
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:58 pm

There are so many artists that still put out huge albums and never release singles.
You just have to actually look for them. It's not like you didn't have to actually LOOK to find King Crimson back in the day. People so easily forget that psychedelic rock wasn't the true mainstream, and that there was still loads of pop music back in the day (which then was really mostly light jazz)
I'm in hibernation
porknchili

Postby porknchili » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:28 pm

vedicardi wrote:

What I meant to say was FOR INSTANCE rap from the 80's and 90's to now has declined in terms of quality and musicianship. I mean compare oh say Big Pun, Big L, Nas, Tupac, Eminem (old version), and DMX to people now like Lil Wayne, Drake, Eminem (current version), Gucci Mane, Kanye West, and Nikki Minaj. The is absolutely ZERO argument that can prove that the rappers now have better musicianship and are better in general.

On the other hand, other genres have been seeing rises in musicianship such as progressive genres (Fates Warning to Dream Theater) and many others and yet other genres have been at a standstill like jazz (Louis Armstrong to Miles Davis).

Musicianship just depends on the players overall and their preferred writing styles.
Tormann71's Brother
mrstuprigge

Postby mrstuprigge » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:53 pm

porknchili wrote:
vedicardi wrote:

What I meant to say was FOR INSTANCE rap from the 80's and 90's to now has declined in terms of quality and musicianship. I mean compare oh say Big Pun, Big L, Nas, Tupac, Eminem (old version), and DMX to people now like Lil Wayne, Drake, Eminem (current version), Gucci Mane, Kanye West, and Nikki Minaj. The is absolutely ZERO argument that can prove that the rappers now have better musicianship and are better in general.

On the other hand, other genres have been seeing rises in musicianship such as progressive genres (Fates Warning to Dream Theater) and many others and yet other genres have been at a standstill like jazz (Louis Armstrong to Miles Davis).

Musicianship just depends on the players overall and their preferred writing styles.

lol, kanye's new album is like the holy grail of mainstream hip-hop. i will say, there are some terrible artists out now, especially when it comes to hip-hop and pop, but there were terrible artists in the 80's and 90's too. you just don't hear about them anymore because they die out. trust me, my dad was into hip-hop in the 80's and he has tons of records that are just terrible. they were just people cashing in on the hip-hop craze then and no one remembers them now. soulja boy was huge for a little while, do you think anyone will remember his name 10 years from now? probably not.

ImageImage
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:08 pm

tormann jr makes an excellent point
you just don't hear about terrible artists because they were terrible
do you think anyone will remember that guy that wrote "I love college" in 10, no, 5 years from now? Hell no
Tormann71's Brother
mrstuprigge

Postby mrstuprigge » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:16 pm

vedicardi wrote:tormann jr makes an excellent point
you just don't hear about terrible artists because they were terrible
do you think anyone will remember that guy that wrote "I love college" in 10, no, 5 years from now? Hell no

hey man. tormann is my little brother :mad:

and it took me about a minute to remember the name of the guy that does i love college. in 5 years i probably won't remember.

ImageImage

Return to “Off-Topic”