Computer Problem

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 5 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Computer Problem

Postby amak11 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:31 pm

Well, i figure im the last one to post one of these threads, but im stumped on a problem.

Problem:
Recently i was given the task of rebuilding 2 computers for my cousins and their freind. The friend's computer went together without a hitch. The cousins computer is starting to peeve me off. I replaced the mobo, CPU, RAM, and HDD. Now honestly if it was those i would have seen something, or rather, not have seen something. I had the computer up and running normal using a Ubuntu disk. Now it wont boot anything from the optical drives. i have tried both drives individually and switched in one of my good drives aswell and nothing. Just gets to a blinking cursor

What i have done:
- checked to make sure it was set to first priority in the BIOS
- tried a seperate installaion media (made a new disk)

Potiential factors:
Both optical drives are IDE

Anyone have an idea? I know we have techs here
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Gerinych

Re: Computer Problem

Postby Gerinych » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:53 pm

I had that happen to me before, sort of. The computer wouldn't boot because my MP3 player was plugged in, even though my hard drive was set as the first priority. Try unplugging any USB devices you don't need.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:14 pm

Ya, its a rebuild, so i dont have anything plugged in. im more then stumped on this
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Gerinych

Postby Gerinych » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:54 pm

Alright... Try plugging in only one RAM stick and see if it works.
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:23 pm

Try turning the computer upside down.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
LOL
KenshinHimuraRK

Postby KenshinHimuraRK » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:44 pm

It's clearly Ubuntu's fault.
If I were you, I would take legal action against them, and ask for my money back.
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:34 am

Did you try deleting system 32?

I heard that causes problems.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:40 am

Gerinych wrote:Alright... Try plugging in only one RAM stick and see if it works.

I dont think thats teh issue, as i have had RAM problems before during my own PCs OS installaion and it blue screened like a <female dog>

raynebc wrote:Are the optical drives listed as attached devices in the BIOS settings?

Yupers

Rapt0r wrote:Try turning the computer upside down.

now that you think about it... :laugh:

KenshinHimuraRK wrote:It's clearly Ubuntu's fault.
If I were you, I would take legal action against them, and ask for my money back.

And i happen to know a Ubuntu dev (who just so happens to be apart of this forum). So what would that accomplish, other then making me headline news around the globe.

Metallicaholic666 wrote:Did you try deleting system 32?

I heard that causes problems.

Oh yes, but it so hard to delete system32...ya know.. when theres no system32 folder yet!

<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....

estemshorn

Postby estemshorn » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:43 am

you should lrn2windows
Image Image
Image Image

Amak11 wrote:haha, if only you were of age
Gerinych

Postby Gerinych » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:46 am

amak11 wrote:
Gerinych wrote:Alright... Try plugging in only one RAM stick and see if it works.

I dont think thats teh issue, as i have had RAM problems before during my own PCs OS installaion and it blue screened like a <female dog>

You should try doing that anyway. Once in my hardware class, they told us to take out the RAM sticks to see what would the computer do without any memory. Then you had to put them back in, but when I did, the computer didn't load, so the teacher told us to use only one RAM stick. I know it's stupid, but it was my first year
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:51 am

Very much true, as i have learned the same lesson in my high school computer engineering class. (not to mention I was one of the 8 people who had marks above 85%). Generally, im leaning more towards a drive, or controller issue. I wanted to get some extra thought on the situation tho.

<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....

timfloss, apparently
timfoss

Postby timfoss » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:57 am

Just stick a few magnets to the HDD, will work like new ;)
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:04 am

timfoss wrote:Just stick a few magnets to the HDD, will work like new ;)

awww look at floss trying to be a part of something!

LOL
KenshinHimuraRK

Postby KenshinHimuraRK » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:40 am

amak11 wrote:Very much true, as i have learned the same lesson in my high school computer engineering class. (not to mention I was one of the 8 people who had marks above 85%). Generally, im leaning more towards a drive, or controller issue. I wanted to get some extra thought on the situation tho.

It could be a ram problem if the sticks are plugged in different colors (some MOBOs don't accept certain combinations), but it doesn't look like it.
It could be the cables too.

Return to “Off-Topic”