Have you ever wondered...

Everything else in here
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Re: Have you ever wondered...

Postby Lysdestic » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:57 pm

Brain freaking out before death. No surprise.
ADeadlierSnake

Postby ADeadlierSnake » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:11 am

No. Near Death Experiences is where you ACTUALLY die. Your brain stops completely. No electrical signals going through it whatsoever.

Spoiler:

<RedShadow>: ADD Adumbshlt, A Dork Amak Adorkdork dorkdork=Nickolodeon=Nickelodeon

Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:18 am

Near Death Experiences is where you ACTUALLY die.

Near Death Experiences=ACTUALLY die.

wut?
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:21 am

ADeadlierSnake wrote:Near Death Experiences is where you ACTUALLY die.

wat
ADeadlierSnake

Postby ADeadlierSnake » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:26 am

Okay whatever, i wrote the wrong term. I am referring to people seeing the "white light" or whatever after their heart stops beating and their brain goes dead. And people come back from THAT.

I dont care what you call it, thats what im talking about. Now back on subject.

-- Edit: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:45 pm --

Additionally: http://www.near-death.com/evidence.html

and: http://www.near-death.com/experiences/evidence01.html

This is what im talking about. This person was completely dead. heart dead AND brain dead. And still she had a NDE. And YES, i WAS right! They still call it a NDE even if you are dead!!! Completely dead!!!

So now that thats out of the way, does anyone want to take a shot at actually EXPLAINING it? Cause it seems thats where the conversation was about to head, but never got there....

Spoiler:

<RedShadow>: ADD Adumbshlt, A Dork Amak Adorkdork dorkdork=Nickolodeon=Nickelodeon

Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:54 am

So let me get this straight. Your brain stops functioning, but what it starts back up, you "remember" things?

Cool, this ties into the Deja vu thread. I'm willing to bet that your brain just formulates an explanation as to what went on when you were dead as soon as you are revived. Your brain probably needs something to fill that void of when you were dead. I don't think the brain can actually understand that for you, "nothing happened", so it needs to put SOMETHING there.
COUNTERPOINT

ADeadlierSnake

Postby ADeadlierSnake » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:59 am

Thats an interesting theory.... But what about people who have amnesia? Their brain doesnt just randomly fill in with tunnels of white light or visions of hell.

Im not claiming to understand how any of this works either. So i cant answer how people "remember things" when their brain was dead.

Spoiler:

Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:03 am

ADeadlierSnake wrote:Thats an interesting theory.... But what about people who have amnesia? Their brain doesnt just randomly fill in with tunnels of white light or visions of hell.

Actually, I think it would.
COUNTERPOINT

ADeadlierSnake

Postby ADeadlierSnake » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:17 am

Ummm... what. People who have amnesia. Like they cant remember their whole life. So youre saying they remember lets say 30 years of while light and/or hell?? Ive never heard of ANY cases of amnesiacs filling their void with NDE-like "memories". That doesnt make any sense at all.

Spoiler:

Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:34 am

"Near Death" insinuates almost dying, not completely dead.

That said, the brain just doesn't instantly stop. My opinion has always been that these "white lights" are nothing more than the brain shutting down, supplying the person in question with what they perceive the end would be like.
ADeadlierSnake

Postby ADeadlierSnake » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:12 am

If you read one of my posts above (the one with the links), it will tell you that NDE also refers to to experiences people claim to have had after complete death. heart, brain, everything.

Spoiler:

crazy.neo

Postby crazy.neo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:20 am

I had a NDE when I was a kid and there was no white light. What I saw where a bunch of rectangles forming, each and every one with a random memory. Some of them I had forgotten, some of them where not relevant at all. Some of them where probably made up. After a while all of them started to fade to black slowly, until I lost consciousness. All of this happened while I was still lucid and able to move my body and act. When I was resuscitated, I remembered everything that had happened before, but some of the memories were blank and I have no idea what they were, while others I remember very vividly.
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:33 am

crazy.neo wrote:I had a NDE when I was a kid and there was no white light. What I saw where a bunch of rectangles forming, each and every one with a random memory. Some of them I had forgotten, some of them where not relevant at all. Some of them where probably made up. After a while all of them started to fade to black slowly, until I lost consciousness. All of this happened while I was still lucid and able to move my body and act. When I was resuscitated, I remembered everything that had happened before, but some of the memories were blank and I have no idea what they were, while others I remember very vividly.

I had one 2 years ago in October. It was similar to this, however I remember absolutely nothing from it, and I didn't have those rectangle things. No heaven, no hell. I can't even begin to describe what it was like because how the fvck am I supposed to know? I don't remember anything except everything going black really fvcking fast. Like on impact. Luckily I was revived in a manner of minutes, but I later found out (after belief that I was just unconcious), that I actually had been completly dead. I was like OMG I HATED THAT. I guess when it happens I figure it as an eternal sleep because when it happened to me that's what it felt like when I was revived. Although, as previous posts have stated, my brain could have filled that with a random thought, making it seem as if that's what it was like. I worry about it sometimes, and thinking about it doesn't help. When it happens, it happens, and it happens to everyone, so there is nothing you can do about it. After coming that close, you learn to prioritize your life, and you have a better outlook on things. It kind of prepares you in a sense, that it's ok and there is nothing to worry about.

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
Cutting Briers
Qwedgeonline

Postby Qwedgeonline » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:42 am

This thread is interesting.
Can we get this forum going again?
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:56 am

I love how the first page is full of "I can conclusively say, despite never having experienced this and with no one having experienced this in a conclusive manner, that this is what death is." As a religious person, I would disagree with prettymuch every sentiment expressed here, since I believe there's a third part to our being - a soul. The soul lives eternally, so when you die, you're either instantly in heaven or instantly in hell.

As far as the near death experiences go, I agree with Lys. It's your brain showing you your conscious or unconscious perception of death while it shuts down. Crazy "saw his life flash before his eyes". Slashfan saw "everything go black into nothingness". (not quoting them, I'm quoting popular phrases and perceptions about death)
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.

Return to “Off-Topic”