Inception

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 7 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
crazy.neo

Re: Inception

Postby crazy.neo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:04 am

I liked it better when it was called Vanilla Sky (j/k)
warhol

Postby warhol » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:53 am

tibiazak wrote:Warhol, in regards to point 1:

Spoiler:They could only wake up from limbo by being tipped in the real world if their sedative had worn off. The point was that their sedatives were too strong to allow them to wake up under any circumstances except the time elapsing. Also, he and his wife tried to kill themselves in limbo the first time to escape (because they hadn't actually taken a sedative. what happened was that they went too far down into dreams-within-dreams and had started living in limbo waiting for the machine to wake them up.)

Your second theory...

Spoiler:Is completely plausible. Personally, I dislike it on the grounds that I want Cobb to be right and awake at the end of the movie, but it's plausible - at least the second part is. The first part is implausible based on the fact that it would have to be Cobb's dream for him to do that - if it was a dream-within-a-dream, it wouldn't work... unless every other character in the entire movie is simply a projection, which would cause it to be Cobb's dream by extension of everyone being part of his subconscious.

On point 1:

Spoiler:Why didn't the couple just kill themselves the moment they got in then? It seems that they waited 50 years to try it out. And the fat black guy said so himself that he made it such that, even when under the influence of the drug, they would still feel the sensation of falling, thus making them wake up.

On my second theory:

Spoiler:I actually was implying that all characters in the movie were his projections; everybody was part of his subconscious

http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:58 pm

On point 1:

Spoiler:...good point. I could see the couple not killing themselves because, initially, they expect to wake up... so they start creating and eventually they don't want to wake up, and (i THINK) Mal rejects the fact that they're in a dream and accepts it as reality. And as for the drug thing... somehow, their body will ONLY wake up if they're kicked. If they don't feel the sensation of falling, they don't wake up.

Second theory:

Spoiler:I realized that after I typed up my last post. That's a valid theory... I kinda like it, although I would, as I said previously, prefer that he wasn't dreaming at the end.

Gotta love a movie that gets us debating it after it ends :P
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
Maartah

Postby Maartah » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:43 pm

Haven't seen the movie yet, but this thread is hilarious with all the spoilers :laugh:
My Youtube Page!
KenshinHimuraRK wrote:beards are f*cking awesome.

vedicardi wrote:what did you do after you literally sh1t your pants
Gah.
OzzyOzrock

Postby OzzyOzrock » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Well...

Spoiler:The movie was a snooze-fest.

ImageImage

I haven't touched a GH related game for 6 months. Woo. My (dead) song thread: Contains horrible things.
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Good one.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
A bit sleepy
Kotti

Postby Kotti » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:05 pm

warhol wrote:On point 1:

Spoiler:Why didn't the couple just kill themselves the moment they got in then? It seems that they waited 50 years to try it out. And the fat black guy said so himself that he made it such that, even when under the influence of the drug, they would still feel the sensation of falling, thus making them wake up.

Spoiler:From what I understood, the problem with limbo was that once you get there, you don't know you're in limbo but instead you think it's reality. They didn't try to get back because they didn't know they were in limbo. The same reason why Saito didn't kill himself right away bu needed Cobb to tell him what's going on.

warhol wrote:@Kotti,

Spoiler:Because of the sedatives, being shot in dream state has a chance of bringing the person into limbo instead of waking up

Spoiler:Um, I kinda just assumed limbo was somehow different and dying there resulted in waking up or at least going from REM sleep to NREM sleep.

What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:54 pm

Maartah wrote:Haven't seen the movie yet, but this thread is hilarious with all the spoilers :laugh:

This. I'm probably going to see it later this week... pretty pumped :)
dance along the fault line; feel the shaking in your bones,
lose the tension in my throat, and live for something.
warhol

Postby warhol » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:42 am

Nolan says listen to the ending, and don't let any visuals deter you.

Or something along those lines
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
A bit sleepy
Kotti

Postby Kotti » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:44 am

warhol wrote:Nolan says listen to the ending, and don't let any visuals deter you.

Spoiler:Someone mentioned you could hear the top fall after the screen goes black. Not that I'd know, didn't pay attention to that at the time.

Spoiler:Image

NYRangers360

Postby NYRangers360 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:22 pm

In response to the listen to the audio thing:

Spoiler:I've seen the movie 3 times. You can hear the top fall, but not right away. It happens a few seconds later after the title comes up again. ALSO, for all you non-believers, I have a paragraph from a special piece I wrote:
I would like to take a moment to do a blanket statement. This movie ends on the same layer as it begins. I am absolutely sure of it. Now, once or twice during the movie, the top falls, showing it is reality. That’s the entire point of the totem. Some people insist the entire movie is a dream, but if that is truly the case, how would the totem ever fall? Also, this would imply that killing characters that are in limbo (Saito, Cobb) would simply return them into another layer of dreaming. It would break all the rules Nolan carefully creates and follows throughout the entire movie, rendering it completely pointless.

Nicknamed Shamrock
Kermit4Prez

Postby Kermit4Prez » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:35 pm

Spoiler:It does not fall or not fall. The ending is ambiguous, and you don't know whether he's in a dream or not. If the movie didn't end mysteriously, it would be anti-climactic. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for him to be in a dream, so if you want an answer: he probably wasn't in a dream.

Spoiler:

It's not a real goose, it's only a picture of one.

tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:25 pm

Kermit4Prez wrote:

Spoiler:It does not fall or not fall. The ending is ambiguous, and you don't know whether he's in a dream or not. If the movie didn't end mysteriously, it would be anti-climactic. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for him to be in a dream, so if you want an answer: he probably wasn't in a dream.

Kermit:

Spoiler:It's ambiguous on the obvious level, but that doesn't mean they can't put evidence in for one or the other. The sound of the top falling would show that he's awake, but only those observant enough to notice that would actually get the "true" ending.

NYRangers:

Spoiler:Check warhol's good explanation, but in brief: if he was in his own dream the entire time, and everyone was a projection of his subconscious, he controlled reality! Therefore, he could make the top fall when he was supposed to be awake, and not fall when he was in a dream - without realizing it. Then, theoretically speaking, when he gets back to his kids, he's not actually paying attention to the top anymore, allowing it to do what it's supposed to do - spin if he's sleeping, fall if he's waking up. Therefore, the sound is the only evidence we have to suggest he was truly awake.

Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
NYRangers360

Postby NYRangers360 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:18 am

Tibiazak:

Spoiler:Ahh, you make a good point. However, remember back to the beginning of the movie when Cobb and Ariadne were dreaming. Cobb's projections began turning on Ariadne and he was screaming at them to let her go, and they wouldn't. So actually, he can't control his own projections. He actually explains that.
Ariadne: Mind telling your subconscious to take it easy?
Cobb: It's my subconscious, I can't control it.

Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:54 am

Holy POOP it's YOU!
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble

Return to “Off-Topic”