Nintendo 3DS

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 9 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
SUPERFAST JELLYFISH
Jrofl24

Nintendo 3DS

Postby Jrofl24 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:57 pm

Release
By March 31, 2011
Source

Description of Features

Wikipedia wrote:The Nintendo 3DS has two screens; the top screen is a 3.53-inch 3D screen with a resolution of 800x240 pixels (400x240 pixels per eye, WQVGA) that is able to produce a stereoscopic three-dimensional effect without 3D glasses, while the bottom screen is a 3.02-inch non-3D touch panel with a resolution of 320x240 pixels (QVGA). The 3DS weighs approximately 8 oz. and, when closed, is 5.3 inches wide, 2.9 inches long, and 0.8 inches tall.

The system features several additions to the design of the original DS, including a slider on the side of the device that adjusts the intensity of the 3D effect, a round nub analog input called the "Slide Pad", an accelerometer, and a gyroscope. In addition, there is an infra-red communicator port situated on the top of the unit.

The 3DS has two cameras on the outside of the device, capable of taking 3D photos, as well as a camera positioned above the top screen that faces the player; both cameras have a resolution of 640x480 pixels (0.3 Megapixel). The system has a movie 3D movie playback capability, and was shown able to record 3D video content.

Also at the E3 Expo, Nintendo’s CEO Satoru Iwata confirmed that the 3DS will expand into 3D movies as well. Nintendo has made deals with Warner Bros, Disney, and DreamWorks to deliver 3D movies; although no titles have been announced yet, the trailer for Disney’s upcoming film Tangled was shown on the 3DS during the Expo.

It will be compatible with both Nintendo DS and DSi games, and a new generation of 3DS games: launch titles include Kid Icarus: Uprising and Mario Kart 3DS, and more than twenty companies have signed on to develop for the 3DS, currently supporting a list of over 70 titles.

The Nintendo 3DS cartridges will hold 2GB of game data and look almost exactly the same as those of the current DS. However, there is a small tab jutting out on the one side, most likely to prevent 3DS cards from being inserted in the 1st generation DS. It has also been hinted that the 3DS would sport an e-reader app as well.

The 3DS possesses Wi-Fi capabilities and periodically searches for Wi-Fi hotspots and other 3DSs without user input, and will be able to receive data from the Internet or other 3DSs while in sleep mode. The system supports multiplayer gameplay via a local wireless connection or over the Internet.

The system has been shown in three color schemes: black & blue, black & red, and black & grey. Black & purple and black & gold 3DSs were also seen at E3 2010

Video
3DS Played at E3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYnyBxVhK_c
Metal Gear Solid 3D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5shhaiZeUp0
Resident Evil Revelations Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuYHYneqXUI

There are also two new colors: purple and orange.

List of Confirmed Games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games

More Info
http://e3.nintendo.com/3ds/

Game Screens (Not 3D)

Last edited by Jrofl24 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 16 times in total.
abloobloo
RedShadow

Re: Nintendo 3DS Screens

Postby RedShadow » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:03 pm

You know, screenshots right now aren't really helpful. Since you can't actually watch them on 3d without the 3DS. :/
SUPERFAST JELLYFISH
Jrofl24

Re: Nintendo 3DS Screens

Postby Jrofl24 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:07 pm

RedShadow wrote:You know, screenshots right now aren't really helpful. Since you can't actually watch them on 3d without the 3DS. :/

I know :sad: , but some info is better than none. They do show what graphics the 3DS can have though.

----Edit----
I added a list of features it's said to have and a video that I could see the 3d on. Don't know if anyone else can.
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Re: Nintendo 3DS

Postby aander91 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:18 pm

So what we're getting at is that Nintendo made a HANDHELD DEVICE that has graphics that top or at least match it's console?
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:51 pm

Did they up the GFX specs? Those seem to be significantly better then my DS Lite's GFX(maybe I'm tricking myself into thinking that though).

The new colors are a bit gaudy, but I can't help liking them for some reason.

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

Breadache

Postby Breadache » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:58 pm

What were getting at is that nintendo made a handheld device that has stereoscopic 3D without 3D glasses. I'm so excited for this coming out, I'm not a big handheld gamer, but this really got my attention at E3. I wonder what's going on with those screenshots, the top pictures look close to the 360 in terms of graphics, but Mario card looks worse than a wii. :S
SUPERFAST JELLYFISH
Jrofl24

Postby Jrofl24 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Ambiguity wrote:Did they up the GFX specs? Those seem to be significantly better then my DS Lite's GFX(maybe I'm tricking myself into thinking that though).

I'm not sure about the specs.

But, from what I've read, Nintendo is using a brand new game cartridge for the 3ds. The top screen's resolution has increased 95% over the DS lite and the bottom screen resolution has increased 56%. The CPU hasn't been announced yet.

aander91 wrote:So what we're getting at is that Nintendo made a HANDHELD DEVICE that has graphics that top or at least match it's console?

The Metal Gear and Resident Evil games do look like wii graphics to me, or at least gamecube.
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:19 pm

You know, it's very likely that at least some of those graphics were pre-rendered cinematics. The in-game stuff from Kid Icarus looked like N64, maybe a tad better, to me.
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
Guac is extra
vandorb12

Postby vandorb12 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:06 pm

it's hard to see 3D on a 2D CCD that cameras use, so it's best to see it in person (basically the only option...)

I wonder how iPad/iTouch games will compete with the 3DS? (3DS FTW!) To bad Nintendo hasn't implemented a multi-touch screen yet... =(
YouTube (Rocksmith!)
The one, the only, the fretter of The Barebones.

Spoiler:Facebook

Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:22 pm

I wonder how iPad/iTouch games will compete with the 3DS?

Not even close.
COUNTERPOINT

abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:51 pm

Get it people! iPad/iPods aren't handheld consoles!
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:03 pm

This. The iPod will NEVER be a suitable gaming platform. That's like saying, "How will Microsoft compete with free flash games?!"
COUNTERPOINT

変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:11 pm

Yes it will be.
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Umm?
COUNTERPOINT

変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:30 am

The difference between iphone and DS are like the difference between an XBL Arcade game and a retail Xbox game. Although the XBLA game will in most cases be simpler, smaller, there are many cases where it will outshine MANY retail games. The only real problem with Iphones and gaming is storage space. It has near the processing power of both the DS and PSP now, and touch controls have been refined over the few years it has been out. I suspect the iphone will behind for one more generation but will then meet or surpass it's other handheld counterparts.

Also, in terms of sales numbers, due to the cheap prices of Iphone games, their numbers FAR surpass not only simply in terms of how many are sold, but even then how much money they make in the end. Doodle Jump's creators made four million dollars off of it. Also note that large companies are making iphone games now. Ubisoft and Square Enix have both made many Iphone games, as well as EA among mannny more.
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **

Return to “Off-Topic”