Auditioning for a band.

Everything else in here
This topic is 13 years and 9 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Auditioning for a band.

Postby KTownEgghead » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:45 am

Alright.

So I've posted a few vocal covers on YouTube, and one of my sister's friends who graduated from my school last year called me and asked me to audition for his band. He liked one of my videos, and thought that I should give it a shot.

I've never auditioned for a band. What can I expect? Should I get some of their songs and learn them? I know I'm not the only one doing it, so... I'm nervous, to say the least. And this isn't a free-flame thread for Vedi, but Kermit is fine.
dance along the fault line; feel the shaking in your bones,
lose the tension in my throat, and live for something.
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Re: Auditioning for a band.

Postby Lysdestic » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:56 am

Am I welcome?

I'd suggest chopping your balls off, but I've seen some of your videos, so that isn't necessary.

Serious:

Getting their songs and learning them is a given. Shows dedication, and at the very least, it shows that you want the gig. Usually, when I played in the band I was in, if some moron didn't know our tunes, we showed them the door. Put your own spin on them, but don't go over-the-top. Be receptive, and don't be an ass. Finally, don't act like it's your first time getting laid, either. Don't call them every day asking if you got it. The moment you leave, forget it happened until they call you.

Oh, and blow the drummer. They like that. (And according to Vedi, you're great at it.)

Also, you have a pretty face.

-----------
This post has been fondled by your friendly neighborhood moderators.
Last edited by Lysdestic on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NNdimethyltryptamine
Electro Tomato

Postby Electro Tomato » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:32 pm

Personally, I think that bands who usually have these sort of professional auditioning processes with multiple people showing up and acting like a panel of judges when they're not even really off the ground yet tend to be conceded and pretentious.

Also, maybe it's just where I live, but the more accessible sounding, mainstreamesque bands usually display this attitude more than the punk and metal bands. They seem to have a bigger focus on money acquisition than music.

But, I'm not gonna speak for the whole of a village here. I'd say go audition, definitely learn their material, and don't be nervous. If you're uptight and excited, you'll seem more fit to be a fan than a member. Just show up, be chill, sing their shiznit, and then leave and, like Lyssy said, forget about it.

---------------------
This post has been edited by your friendly neighborhood moderators. <___________dem commies
Last edited by Electro Tomato on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevin1gamer

Postby kevin1gamer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Best of luck to you, sir.
I'm proud to have been a part of this topic.
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:48 pm

Electro Tomato wrote:Personally, I think that bands who usually have these sort of professional auditioning processes with multiple people showing up and acting like a panel of judges when they're not even really off the ground yet tend to be conceded and pretentious.

There is a huge difference between being pretentious and wanting to keep people who have no Musical dedication out. If you just audition one or two guys without really 'judging' them as a band, you'll wind up with people who just want to drink on stage and **** underage chicks.

Esexo To **** o wrote:Also, maybe it's just where I live, but the more accessible sounding, mainstreamesque bands usually display this attitude more than the punk and metal bands. They seem to have a bigger focus on money acquisition than music.

Not necessarily. Accessibility and professionalism are not mutually exclusive.

---------------------
This post has been edited by your friendly neighborhood moderators.

Huuurrrr!
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:49 am

If you're nervous about auditioning for a band that "liked" videos as poor as yours, I feel bad for you

in a mocking way of course.

I'm sure they'll love you. your personality really matches the style of music you like.
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
Tormann71

Postby Tormann71 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Good luck with the audition, but I don't have any advice, other then do good I guess :wink:
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:10 am

Also, KTown, when is that audition?
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:10 pm

Lysdestic wrote:Also, KTown, when is that audition?

It was right after work earlier. They didn't have any solid material for me to go off of, so I just sang something else... I did "Careful" by Paramore, "Feels Like Today" by Rascal Flatts, and "The End" by Bullet For My Valentine. Don't hate on the song choices :P I wanted a variety. I think they enjoyed them, and the best part of the audition was when the rhythm guitarist/screamer joined in for the "The End" vocals. Really epic, I think that showed my showmanship really well.

I'm hoping for the best :) Wasn't too nervous, either.
estemshorn

Postby estemshorn » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:29 pm

KTownEgghead wrote:I did "Careful" by Paramore, "Feels Like Today" by Rascal Flatts, and "The End" by Bullet For My Valentine.

Not saying I like those songs, especially not the Rascall Flatts one, but it obviously shows how you could sing different genres, and like you said, it has variety.
Image Image
Image Image

Amak11 wrote:haha, if only you were of age
NNdimethyltryptamine
Electro Tomato

Postby Electro Tomato » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:03 pm

KTownEgghead wrote:

It was right after work earlier. They didn't have any solid material for me to go off of, so I just sang something else... I did "Careful" by Paramore, "Feels Like Today" by Rascal Flatts, and "The End" by Bullet For My Valentine. Don't hate on the song choices :P I wanted a variety. I think they enjoyed them, and the best part of the audition was when the rhythm guitarist/screamer joined in for the "The End" vocals. Really epic, I think that showed my showmanship really well.

That's a really, really good sign. That shows that they're already comfortable singing with you.

That said, my song choices would have been "Your Treachery Will Die With You"" by Dying Fetus, "Feeble Screams From Forests Unknown by Burzum, and "Deflowered at Five" by Susvourtre.

Yes, "Deflowered at Five".
estemshorn

Postby estemshorn » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Electro Tomato wrote:"Your Treachery Will Die With You"" by Dying Fetus.

I don't even have to look it up to know that's death metal :tongue2:
Image Image
Image Image

What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:05 pm

Electro Tomato wrote:
KTownEgghead wrote:

That's a really, really good sign. That shows that they're already comfortable singing with you.

That said, my song choices would have been "Your Treachery Will Die With You"" by Dying Fetus, "Feeble Screams From Forests Unknown by Burzum, and "Deflowered at Five" by Susvourtre.

Yes, "Deflowered at Five".

I actually knew the bassist from school last year. He's been in a few bands, including one that's gotten pretty big here in the northwest. I didn't know any of the other guys, but they seemed pretty chill. That, and the band practices work around my job and school. I think I have a really good shot... at least I'm hoping.
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:14 pm

the last thing we need is for you to have another ego boost
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
estemshorn

Postby estemshorn » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:29 pm

vedicardi wrote:the last thing we need is for you to have another ego boost

The last thing vedi wants is for other people to actually feel good.
Image Image
Image Image

Return to “Off-Topic”