Any original FOF'ers out there? (nostalgia thread)

Everything else in here
This topic is 14 years and 1 month old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.

When did you get into Frets on fire?

I've been here since the beginning
14%
I got here when homemade songs were **** and RF-mod was THE ****
28%
I got here during the rise of world rave and Raph
5%
I got here when herrings mod was all I needed
5%
I got here when the first GH3 mod blew my mind
7%
I got here when Ultimate Coffee and MFH brought took the reigns
9%
I got here when the DS Alarian mod took over
7%
I got here when people talked about Alarian without the DS in front :(
9%
I got here when Fofix was birthed
9%
I just got here!?
7%

Total votes: 43
poiklpu

Any original FOF'ers out there? (nostalgia thread)

Postby poiklpu » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:30 am

Hey all, I haven't been on the forum much since I was able to get guitar hero 3, but I just played Sweet Child O' Mine on Frets on fire and it immediately took me back to how far Frets on fire really goes. It showed me how much I miss the GH1 and 2 days when all the songs were fun and every song was hard. When I actually listened to the songs I was playing, instead of hearing my fingers going up and down the frets like a madman. When I played the Guitar hero 1 songs on my wired keyboard with Fozz's mods with nearly no graphics whatsoever, when everyone wanted to change the fifth fret to purple, the charts were a bit screwy, hammer ons and pull offs nearly impossible to play, there were serious amounts of lag, and when the creators of frets on fire were the ones we praised and looked to, and not the modders who've taken it to a whole nother level. I remember when texas flood was slow as hell, and the notes were practically side by side.

I remember when RougueF started to show how much a difference modding could make bringing hammer ons and pull offs, and cooler mods. When we started to get to know who the moderators like mmsven were and who the trolls were (I cant remember this one guy his name was kevin I think?) When only experienced FOFers connected their guitars to their computers. When nobody knew who puppetz was, 9 out of 10 homemade songs were unplayable, and the rest were only decent. When rf mod 3 and 3.5 and nearly every one flipped their $&*#'s when they saw there was multiplayer and the ability to play lead, rhythm and bass. When the mods started to get more personalized, and more users started to contribute. When the rock meters started to function, and half the forum was like, "who gives a f***". When herings mod came along and we were introduced to more in depth modding hit flames and drums. And of course, when Capo and raphs mod made guitar hero actually resemble the actual game and everyone felt that they didn't need guitar hero anymore. and now that FOF was getting mainstream attention and views on youtube, every other post was asking how to get their whammy bar working, and the forum was the most flammingest forum in forumland (although the whammy bar issue has been brought up since the beginning). I remember when the new FOF came out and nobody cared. I remember when everyone wanted FOF to be coded in C++ and when it sort of happened nobody cared. and When the Ultimate Coffee came in and made laid the foundation on top of rf's foundation for a lot of the cool stuff we have today, with his UC mod.

I remember when the mods and homemade songs started getting good, and there were a lot more contributions. I remember when puppetz started releasing tiered playlists of quality, and it was the beggining of the homemade careers. I remember what feels like not too long ago, when the ds alarian mod came out, and blew everyone away, and gave us most of the setup that we have right now. I remember when Alarians mod came out and I felt with all the songs and customization that Frets on fire was actually surpassing the gh and rockband franchises. I remember when us mac users finally started getting respect and didn't have to wait 2 months before we got a major mod :). I remember when I made my first and only real contribution to the FOF movement with my star wars mod seing as the mods used pngs instead of 3d graphics and I was getting into photoshop. (I had to do it, I put like 40 hours into that mod haha) I remember when the closest thing we had to video was a bunch of pictures played in sequence over and over again. I remember when puppetz hero 3 came out and I thought that this was my favorite setlist of all time to play, including gh and rockband. I remember when Fofix came out and I realized that this game wassn't really frets on fire anymore :( (although that's also a good thing) I now I'm looking at the future of Fofix and all the ridiculous features it's about to have and how, thanks to this awesome, never dying community, Fofix has surpassed GH or RB in terms of the game I connect my guitar to.

I started coming on this forum when I was 14 which seems so crazy to me now that I'm 18 and in college. I began learned a lot about forums, basic html, and photoshop all because of this website and I just want to say thank you to everyone who's contributed to the forum in any way, shape or form. I know I'm missing a lot of key players in the history of frets on fire, and I apologize to all of you (I'm also not sure if it's all in order, and i feel like i'm missing some mods...). Please comment about anything or anybody i've missed, things that you miss about GH, RB, and FOF, and/or just talk about the little details about the forum you remember from long ago (or not so long ago).

(also, mark when you got into fof in the poll, and talk about it if you like :)
Last edited by poiklpu on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
See my star wars mod for Alarian!:
Star Wars Mod
el nini wrote:Split screen? TWO keyboards on ONE compter? Madness I say. Madness...
Rapt0r

Re: Any original FOF'ers out there? (nostalgia thread)

Postby Rapt0r » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:36 am

No mention of me? **** you.

In all seriousness, I feel like I've been around forever as well (apparently joined a month after you). Hell, those mods back then were huge. Not nearly as much groundbreaking work being done here. It's just FoFiX now with various updates which add minor features. Nothing as major as some of the earlier works from RougueF and MFH (who I think is working on FoFiX now, correct?). I remember the hours at a time I used to spend playing before RFmod with functional HOPOs came around. God, those made a HUGE difference in the gameplay.

Also, that mod you're thinking of is mmsven. He was a pretty cool mod.

>in b4 winniez
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
poiklpu

Postby poiklpu » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:54 am

mmsven! you are right. and those hopos did make the game so much better. the first line of your post scared me a bit though haha.

Star Wars Mod

el nini wrote:Split screen? TWO keyboards on ONE compter? Madness I say. Madness...
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:23 am

I marked myself as "after Alarian dropped the Ds~", but I was technically around in the days of RF; I was just one of those leechers. I came back later to check if RF had improved, found Alarian mod, started getting interested, and started contributing.
And yes, MFH is still doing FoFiX after taking over when Alarian kinda stopped being active. But MFH is a busy man these days and hasn't contributed that much lately.
Kinda like me, actually.

Also, mmsven only "retired" a little while ago and he's hard to remember already?
poiklpu

Postby poiklpu » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:42 am

death_au wrote:I marked myself as "after Alarian dropped the Ds~", but I was technically around in the days of RF; I was just one of those leechers. I came back later to check if RF had improved, found Alarian mod, started getting interested, and started contributing.
And yes, MFH is still doing FoFiX after taking over when Alarian kinda stopped being active. But MFH is a busy man these days and hasn't contributed that much lately.
Kinda like me, actually.

Also, mmsven only "retired" a little while ago and he's hard to remember already?

He's only hard to remember for me because I haven't really been on the forum recently as I said before. I remembered a moderator who was very active, left for a bit, came back and then only posted sporadically, but it's been so long since i've been an active member that I just forgot about ol mmsven. I didn't even know he had retired. His name was on the tip of my tongue though :) does anybody remember that kevin guy though? I know that was a really long time ago but there have to be a few.

Star Wars Mod

googlyboogly
iamsensay

Postby iamsensay » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:09 am

whatakevin?

Ive only heard the rumours and whispers.

I voted I got here during the rise of world rave and Raph because i remember when i first came here worldraves gh3 mod was in progress.

Didnt become active until recently but have always kept up to date with the goings on here.
WhatIsThisIDon'tEven
Davidrawr

Postby Davidrawr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:39 am

Option #2. Aaah, I remember getting half-a-dozen torrent packs of probably some of the worst-charted songs I've ever seen! And RF-Mod was the way of the future back then :tongue2:

I was just a leecher I suppose, but I do remember making a few really bad charts in Freetar to try and contribute... Lack of interest in them made me go back to leeching though :rolleyes:

I came back when FoFiX was released and I've been an active member since then.
My song thread!
You can cut our wings, but we will always remember what it was like to fly.
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:24 am

Poll options are almost in chronological order, though my GH mod (which was one of the first mods to work with FoF 1.2.451) was released one long month ( :wink: ) before the Hering mod, which was released a month before worldrave's dual meter mod and more than 4 months before his "Guitar Hero 3 MOD"

My GHmod demo youtube video is still up after a couple of UMG's copyrights issue and has now over 168K views :)
Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:08 pm

Enjoy your nostalgia.

Also, I HATED whatakevin. He joined here very soon after I did and I don't think I've ever seen someone psot that much in such a short amount of time. My science.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
poiklpu

Postby poiklpu » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:41 pm

whatakevin?

Ive only heard the rumours and whispers.

Ugh whatakevin, It's all coming back to me now.

raph666 wrote:Poll options are almost in chronological order, though my GH mod (which was one of the first mods to work with FoF 1.2.451) was released one long month ( :wink: ) before the Hering mod, which was released a month before worldrave's dual meter mod and more than 4 months before his "Guitar Hero 3 MOD"

My GHmod demo youtube video is still up after a couple of UMG's copyrights issue and has now over 168K views :)

You're right, I remember now. You're mod came out, and then hering's big thing was drums and I forgot about the gh3 mod. I was just going on which one looked more polished. And there were just SO many mods, I don't even think I got all the major ones. And while writing this post I realized how much stuff went on here in the past 4 years and I know skipped a lot of stuff. Someone should put a history section on the wiki.

Star Wars Mod

Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:05 pm

Man oh man... the nostalgia...

I remember flaming nobby when he made the guide that told you how to edit everything in the game, and then got flamed by winniez, master of flamey quotes haha.
RF Mod 2 - Electric Boogaloo, Crazy Neo's score meter, FozZ notes, Noob Edition mod... I remember all that sh*t.

Sig disabled. ~nwru
Maartah

Postby Maartah » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:33 pm

I've been here pretty long, since end 2007 :o It's a shame mmsven left, most of his posts would crank me up

Btw, you can see the modevolution in my video's :laugh:
My Youtube Page!
KenshinHimuraRK wrote:beards are f*cking awesome.

vedicardi wrote:what did you do after you literally sh1t your pants
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:02 pm

I feel pretty middle age here in the forum. I remember getting flamed for "idiocy" (which i still do) and all the downloading i have done (never want to do again).

Pretty much, i see myself remaining the "village idiot" in these forums till I decide to just up and quit. I have learned tons here, met some idiots along the way, gained a skill which is easily transferable (no not playing guitar hero), and made some good friends. This forum has been good to a lot of us, and for that NWRU and Raph i salut you :tongue2:
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:06 pm

amak11 wrote:I feel pretty middle age here in the forum. I remember getting flamed for "idiocy" (which i still do) and all the downloading i have done (never want to do again).

Pretty much, i see myself remaining the "village idiot" in these forums till I decide to just up and quit. I have learned tons here, met some idiots along the way, gained a skill which is easily transferable (no not playing guitar hero), and made some good friends. This forum has been good to a lot of us, and for that NWRU and Raph i salut you :tongue2:

Salute me too foo. I'm WAY cooler than those guys. :thumbup:

Sig disabled. ~nwru
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:40 pm

If I remembered by 1st username here, I would say it but I've been here since basically the beginning. I used to be one of the people only here for songs though. I moved, and forgot all my stuff basically (I didn't have a computer until a year later again) then made Crushedsoul (grrr....) but now I'm me. I remember all this stuff.......

Return to “Off-Topic”