Need help with pickups.

Everything else in here
This topic is 14 years and 4 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Huzzah!
R4L

Need help with pickups.

Postby R4L » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:15 am

Hello. :)

I need some advice on pickups for my guitar. Here's the model:

I know, it's a knock off of a good Gibson, but it plays great so whatever. :P

However, the pickups are junk. I get terrible sustains. They seriously hum for maybe 2 seconds? I just want a better tone and better sustaining, but I'm not sure what kind of pickups to buy. Some friends told me to get the EMG 81/85 set, since it's classic I guess, but I can't afford to spend that much on pickups.

Any ideas? :blink:

Sig disabled. ~nwru
Deff Janiels
jdawg

Re: Need help with pickups.

Postby jdawg » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:35 am

Depends on what you want to play like
Ions are here, amazang
Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:49 am

jdawg wrote:Depends on what you want to play like

I want a nice metal tone. Something with good rhythm tone and solid lead tones.

Sig disabled. ~nwru
Playin' bongos mofo!
gebbss

Postby gebbss » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:25 am

Some real EMGs are quite the good bet for a nice sound.
Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:47 am

gebbss wrote:Some real EMGs are quite the good bet for a nice sound.

Yeah I was thinking about going with the 81/85 combo but they're active pickups. I'm really looking for passive.

Sig disabled. ~nwru
Shredder
Scutch-Nukem

Postby Scutch-Nukem » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:28 pm

Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded pickup set, its like 170 US dollars I think.

Great for many genres, in fact, Dave Mustaine used this set on many of his guitars when he used Jackson.

Edit: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-?sku=300030
If you can read this then you've gone too far.
Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:59 pm

Scutch-Nukem wrote:Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded pickup set, its like 170 US dollars I think.

Great for many genres, in fact, Dave Mustaine used this set on many of his guitars when he used Jackson.

Edit: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-?sku=300030

That's good enough for me haha. Now what's it mean by hotrodded? That's not a specific type of installation is it?

Sig disabled. ~nwru
dey see me trollin
mitch951

Postby mitch951 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:02 pm

R4L wrote:
Scutch-Nukem wrote:Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded pickup set, its like 170 US dollars I think.

That's good enough for me haha. Now what's it mean by hotrodded? That's not a specific type of installation is it?

raffle, ive recommended those to you in the past :P
Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:04 am

mitch951 wrote:
R4L wrote:

raffle, ive recommended those to you in the past :P

Have you? Must have been when I didn't have the money to get them. :)

Sig disabled. ~nwru
Shredder
Scutch-Nukem

Postby Scutch-Nukem » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:17 am

R4L wrote:

Hotrodded's just the name of the set, you install them like any passive pickup set. No batteries required! I have the set equipped on most of my humbucker equipped guitars.

Edit: Insanely versatile too, I can go from a nice jazz clean sound to a heavy rip your balls off thrash metal tone with the flick of a (toggle) switch!
If you can read this then you've gone too far.
Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:29 am

Scutch-Nukem wrote:
R4L wrote:

Hotrodded's just the name of the set, you install them like any passive pickup set. No batteries required! I have the set equipped on most of my humbucker equipped guitars.

Edit: Insanely versatile too, I can go from a nice jazz clean sound to a heavy rip your balls off thrash metal tone with the flick of a (toggle) switch!

Just what I want then haha. I'll see how much I've got so far, and if my Dad will help me install them haha.

Thanks dudes!

Sig disabled. ~nwru

Return to “Off-Topic”