RROD?

Everything else in here
This topic is 15 years and 1 month old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Anthro-Therizino
Xinorbis

RROD?

Postby Xinorbis » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:00 am

Hi, i would like to ask: I ever heard of the Red Ring of Death in XBOX 360. All do i know it says "General Hardware Failure" But if you guys don't mind: Can you tell me the details in ROD and what causes it and how to fix it. Just to look some detailed information after Wiki

Thanks

Therizinosaurus

P.S. I'm still alive, and brought few souvenirs from my deviantART:
ROD:
http://xinorbis.deviantart.com/art/Game ... -112625970
RROD Animated:
http://xinorbis.deviantart.com/art/ROD- ... -112932255
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Re: RROD?

Postby MarvinPA » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:24 am

It's hardware failure. There are no permanent fixes, the only way to fix it semi-permanently is through sending your 360 back to Microsoft, it is usually caused by your 360 over-heating and then your motherboard-ish-thing dies.

That is about as much as I can tell you. If your 360 has suffered this, call up MS. They can tell you if they can fix it or not.
xbox360922

Postby xbox360922 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:15 pm

If your xbox isn't still under warranty, or if you don't feel like waiting the month and a half for Microsoft to get your xbox back to you, then you can try this trick. It's not permanent, and you could screw something up.

Open the case to the xbox (There are many tutorials & videos online about how to do this.)
Find the wire coming off of the fan, look for where it plugs into the motherboard, unplug the fan from the motherboard.
Turn your xbox on and let it set there 'till it overheats. (You'll know by the red ring status) Once it overheats, immediately turn it off (By un-plugging it, the power button won't work)
Un-screw the motherboard from the chassis, find the "X" shaped clip holding on the video card's heat sink (The shorter/smaller one). Take that clip off, then take the heat sink off.
Using some sort of cleaner (Or just a credit card) you're gonna want to get all of the thermal paste off of the two chips on the MOBO, and off of the heatsink.
Apply a **SMALL** amount of thermal compound to both chips, and just rest the heatsink back on there (Don't clip it in)
It should turn on without a RROD, if it still has a RROD. Just let it set there 'till it overheats again.
Un screw one of the 'pegs' from the heatsink, and take it up to Home Depot, or Lowe's (Or similar) to find a screw that has the same threads (Most stores should have some sort of 'thread finder' thing) Find 4 screws about the same length of the 'peg' (The entire 'peg' not just the threaded bit).
'Bolt' the heatsink directly to the motherboard. (As long as the screw heads aren't any bigger than the copper rings around the hole, if the screw head is bigger, go find a screw with a smaller head)

Your xbox shouldn't get the RROD anymore.
If a RROD occurs again, just unplug the fan, let it overheat, turn it off, plug the fan back in, and play. You DO NOT need to re-seat the heatsink.

If you're uncomfortable doing any of that, then just send it away for 6 weeks to have it done by a professional. :p
Shredder
jake2k3

Postby jake2k3 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:41 pm

Q. My xbox does this, even when all my cables are properly connected and functioning.

A. Call 1-800-4MY-XBOX (for those who don't know how to call "in letters", that's 1-800-469-9269)

They'll send you a pre-posted coffin. Put your box in, drop it off at your local UPS store, they'll send you a new Xbox.

Problem fix'd
~Jake2k3
Goodbye everyone. It's been fun. I spent many many hours here on these boards and playing/contributing to FoF. Today I uninstalled my game and deleted all my files. I just don't have the time or interest anymore. I won't be coming back here anymore. I might show up in the IRC from time to time to chat. I regret nothing.

So long, farewell.
~Jake2k3
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:40 pm

My dad has done the following to three different XBOX's, and all of them work great :D

1. Disassemble the outer body
2. Remove the fan
3. Overheat the system
4. Put back together
5. Reset the entire console
6. Fixed.

I have no idea how this works, it just does.
dance along the fault line; feel the shaking in your bones,
lose the tension in my throat, and live for something.
Gerinych

Postby Gerinych » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:10 pm

KTownEgghead wrote:My dad has done the following to three different XBOX's, and all of them work great :D

1. Disassemble the outer body
2. Remove the fan
3. Overheat the system
4. Put back together
5. Reset the entire console
6. Fixed.

I have no idea how this works, it just does.

Is it a temporary fix? I bet it is.
mmsven

Postby mmsven » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:19 pm

Gerinych wrote:Is it a temporary fix? I bet it is.

Yes, and it could even void your warrenty. Suggestions be retarded.
Anthro-Therizino
Xinorbis

Postby Xinorbis » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:02 am

Let's be honest about this, i don't have XBOX 360 and some gamers in Indonesia are XBOX 360 gamers. In very rare cases those guys got RROD. So where they can send the XBOX? PT. Microsoft Indonesia?

Sry

Therizinosaurus

Return to “Off-Topic”