Windows 7 Beta 1

Everything else in here
This topic is 15 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
tibiazak

Re: Windows 7 Beta 1

Postby tibiazak » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:19 pm

can we get more complete specs for the two computers you've got it on dgrams? this interests me. :P

ok, after using it for almost a week now, i have to say that this is probably the best OS i've used. i did encounter the daemon tools issue, but i got around that by installing poweriso...

provided microsoft doesn't somehow f*ck 7 up in the release version, they've got a winner here.... and i swear, if it ends up dying like vista did because of a lot of crappy hype (contributed to by its main competitor - darn you "mac vs pc" commercials!!) people are morons for not actually trying things. this OS is awesome... and the only reason i still have vista installed is 'cause i can't actually free up the extra hdd space to upgrade my vista partition... stupid partition manager. =/
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
dgrams2000

Postby dgrams2000 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:32 am

Okay, here are the specs on my home pc....
This is the one where everything works fine in XP,
But when using Vista or Windows7, my graphics chug in FOF, making it unplayable.
Even getting thru the menus is unbearable.
But retail games (GHIII, Crysis, etc... are very VERY playable and awesome)

On the work laptop FOF works fine.

HomePC:
Windows 7 Ultimate
Rating 3.0 (windows experience index)
Processor: Intel Core2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz
Ram: 2 GB
32Bit OS
Graphics: AGP ATI Radeon 1950x Pro
Driver 8.53.2.12 11/13/08
40 Gig IDE Primary HDD 7200rpm (50% free space)
320 Gig External USB/eSata HDD

Work laptop:
Dell Latitude
Windows 7 Ultimate
Rating 3.0 (windows experience index)
Intel Core2 Duo CPU [email protected]
2GB Ram
32Bit OS
Gaphics: NVidia Quadro NVS 135M
120GB Hard Drive
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:52 pm

must be the ATI card... that's really strange. i haven't noticed ANY lag in anything, even FoF - and i usually get lag in it (at least, i did in vista.)

my specs, for reference (laptop):

intel core2duo 1.56 ghz processor
2 GB of ram
nVidia GeForce 8600mGT
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
Free Happy!
fofgh3

Postby fofgh3 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:06 pm

jfosheezy wrote:can someone give there username and password so we dont have to register

Dude, no one is going to make an account for some random dude who is too lazy to do a simple task and keeps whining! It's not that hard just do it your self.
Shredder
Scutch-Nukem

Postby Scutch-Nukem » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:32 am

fofgh3 wrote:
jfosheezy wrote:can someone give there username and password so we dont have to register

Dude, no one is going to make an account for some random dude who is too lazy to do a simple task and keeps whining! It's not that hard just do it your self.

Hey you! Angry guy! Yeah, I'm talkin' to YOU buster!

Microsoft removed the DL limit, you don't need the account, so you just flamed him for no reason. Way to go. :thumbup:

On topic: I keep hearin' that W7 is WAY, way faster than Vista, but from the looks of videos and pictures, it looks like it would use more ram than Vista did.

Then again, I'm not a computer tech, so I wouldn't know much about this stuff. I would really like to try the beta, but I don't wanna end up like Dgram's desktop, I want to know if the chopiness is due to the ATI card or something. I'm willing to post my compy's specs if needed.

Also, quick question about partioning, once I have the beta loaded on the disc, do I have to load up my compy and do a certain command to install this on my D: drive?
If you can read this then you've gone too far.
R4nd0M

Postby R4nd0M » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:35 am

Scutch-Nukem wrote:On topic: I keep hearin' that W7 is WAY, way faster than Vista, but from the looks of videos and pictures, it looks like it would use more ram than Vista did.

Then again, I'm not a computer tech, so I wouldn't know much about this stuff. I would really like to try the beta, but I don't wanna end up like Dgram's desktop, I want to know if the chopiness is due to the ATI card or something. I'm willing to post my compy's specs if needed.

Also, quick question about partioning, once I have the beta loaded on the disc, do I have to load up my compy and do a certain command to install this on my D: drive?

What makes you think Windows 7 uses more RAM than Vista? After testing it for several days I can conclude that it actually uses less RAM in most cases (although svchost.exe is using a greater share than in Vista). The visual look of an OS doesn't necessarily require a higher end result amount of RAM use since the devs can (and have) optimize other background processes.

The choppyness or lag associated with ATI products and FOF/OpenGL games is not a result of ATI cards themselves but the latest 64 bit Windows 7 drivers (and others). As of this post that may have changed but I know that FOF was unplayable with the 64 bit Win7 drivers I tested (cat 8.12) but were playable when installing 32 bit Vista drivers of an older (cat 8.9) family (oddily enough, yes, 32 bit drivers worked soundly in a 64 bit OS with a different kernel).

You simply burn the ISO to a DVD (use 1x to ensure a good copy) and after making sure your BIOS boot sequence has the DVD drive at a higher priority than your boot hard drive, reboot your computer with the DVD inserted and follow the prompts.
Schmops
Br3chtel

Postby Br3chtel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:26 am

Hey guys, first post hrhr *g*

@R4nd0M Rly? 32bit drivers of cat 8.9 will work under 64bit win7????

still wondering if that will work....but hey :D could you show us some screenshots of your config with 32bit drivers on 64bit os, would be nice x)

greets

Br3chtel
dgrams2000

Postby dgrams2000 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:28 am

I might have a half way decent nvidia card that I can try... but I dont know if I really care that much as
its only FOF that is laggy.

I dont use it anymore anyway.... maybe if I'm bored some day I may try it.
Otherwise everything else works pretty good.
Free Happy!
fofgh3

Postby fofgh3 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:28 am

Scutch-Nukem wrote:
fofgh3 wrote:

Microsoft removed the DL limit, you don't need the account, so you just flamed him for no reason. Way to go. :thumbup:

Okay sorry, but still even if you needed an account he shouldn't be making a bunch of posts asking people to do stuff for him. I've seen him do this in other topics and it's been ticking me off.
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Postby MarvinPA » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 am

Scutch-Nukem wrote:
fofgh3 wrote:

No Scutch. He posted that before they removed the download limit.
Shredder
Scutch-Nukem

Postby Scutch-Nukem » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:04 pm

R4nd0M wrote:What makes you think Windows 7 uses more RAM than Vista? After testing it for several days I can conclude that it actually uses less RAM in most cases (although svchost.exe is using a greater share than in Vista). The visual look of an OS doesn't necessarily require a higher end result amount of RAM use since the devs can (and have) optimize other background processes.

The choppyness or lag associated with ATI products and FOF/OpenGL games is not a result of ATI cards themselves but the latest 64 bit Windows 7 drivers (and others). As of this post that may have changed but I know that FOF was unplayable with the 64 bit Win7 drivers I tested (cat 8.12) but were playable when installing 32 bit Vista drivers of an older (cat 8.9) family (oddily enough, yes, 32 bit drivers worked soundly in a 64 bit OS with a different kernel).

You simply burn the ISO to a DVD (use 1x to ensure a good copy) and after making sure your BIOS boot sequence has the DVD drive at a higher priority than your boot hard drive, reboot your computer with the DVD inserted and follow the prompts.

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it. :)

(This post was made using the brand new Windows 7 beta!)
If you can read this then you've gone too far.
R4nd0M

Postby R4nd0M » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:30 pm

Br3chtel wrote:Hey guys, first post hrhr *g*

@R4nd0M Rly? 32bit drivers of cat 8.9 will work under 64bit win7????

still wondering if that will work....but hey :D could you show us some screenshots of your config with 32bit drivers on 64bit os, would be nice x)

greets

Br3chtel

Yeah they worked. Very ill-advised given that 8.9 are old drivers now and there are probably some incompatibilities along the track somewhere I didn't notice (I didn't fully test the drivers in anything other than FOF).

I'd like to give you a screenshot but I wiped my system after messing around a bit with Win7 and reinstalled Vista 64bit for stability reasons. I'm afraid you're going to have to take my word for it or test it yourself. I'd advise against it though. I only installed 32 bit drivers by accident and wouldn't have done so normally. I was rather surprised they worked anyway.
Drum Player
drummerboy0511

Postby drummerboy0511 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:52 am

I got mine... tis a good beta, relatively fast. I don't like the new gadget platform (need that sidebar!), however.

Return to “Off-Topic”