Where's the source code for Phase Shift?

Discuss mods and get help with mods ONLY
This topic is 9 years and 1 month old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
lavacano201014

Where's the source code for Phase Shift?

Postby lavacano201014 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:02 pm

I'm under the impression that Phase Shift is a Frets on Fire fork. Therefore, the source code has to be available for download somewhere, otherwise it's a GPL violation (i.e. illegal). But I can't find it anywhere, only Windows binaries (not good for me as a Linux user).

Any help?
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Re: Where's the source code for Phase Shift?

Postby nobby76 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:59 pm

phase shift is a game all of its own. It was written from the ground up, rather than using a chunk of the FOF code..
And just out of interest.. so what if it was illegal. 99% of all the songs posted on this site are illegal, that doesnt seem to bother people.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
lavacano201014

Postby lavacano201014 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Well that's just great. That means half of the songs on here are for a game I can't even play.

If it's a separate project, why the hell is it using the Frets On Fire board?
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:23 pm

Some people release their charts targeted for both games, and realistically I think the cross promotion is helping to keep this forum alive. Phase Shift's developers don't want to get in trouble by allowing people to post charts when they don't have authorization to use the audio, so people post those charts here instead. You can try running the game through Wine, the game supposedly worked at least to some amount that way, but your mileage may vary. While the PS devs are using the game as a learning experiment, they want to keep the code to themselves. It seems like they've mentioned that they intend to release the source when they're done with it. Who knows though, with the right help they might be willing to let somebody else have access to the code in the interest of making it cross platform. If you have the expertise and time, or know somebody that does, you may want to reach out to them about it.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:39 pm

For somebody that only has 7 posts and has only been here a few months. You seem VERY angry over the fact you cant have everything your own way..
Have you considered, the game, this website and all the songs it contains WASN'T actually made just for you ??
If you want that kind of control over source files. make a GH/RB clone for yourself, then you can do whatever you like with the source.

And the reason its posted about on this forum is because all the guys that went off and made PS and Fofix all played FOF originally and all hung out on this forum, for several years. in fact most of them still frequent this site often.
So thats why its here.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:46 am

lavacano201014 wrote:Well that's just great. That means half of the songs on here are for a game I can't even play.

What makes you think that a closed source game is illegal and you can't play it? You sounded very foolish. This forum isn't even the official forum for Frets On Fire. It was run by fans for fans. Who uses it or what uses it doesn't matter. Phase Shift is just another project to imitate a game like Guitar Hero (it was the same as Frets On Fire).
emankhan

Postby emankhan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:29 am

Hello. Is there a specific file that gets updated when we apply new key assignments to the game i.e configuration .ini file. I wish to be able to access it via notepad for instance and change the key assignments there manually. The goal is a custom program that access this file to write in its own assignment for the gameplay.

_________

eman

Return to “FOF Mod Discussion and Support”