New song editor needs testing

Discuss mods and get help with mods ONLY
This topic is 13 years and 3 weeks old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
aave000

New song editor needs testing

Postby aave000 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:37 pm

EDIT: 1.0 is now released: website

Hi folks,
We've been developing a new song editor and it's nearing its 1.0 release. Now we've released a kind of release candidate to get some feedback and find more bugs and usability issues. Background information (e.g. why we didn't settle with EoF) and more details can be read from the announcement.

In a nutshell, this is (for the time being) a vocals-only note creation tool that attempts to automate as much of the process as possible (e.g. using Fast Fourier Transform to analyze the pitch of the song). Granted, it is not yet very useful for FoF people, but e.g. MIDI export is coming very soon and we have a distinct workflow from which we'd like some comments. It is documented in a sort of a wizard accessible through the application's help menu and presented on the first start up.

If you want to skip right to it, the downloads are available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/perform ... ditor/1.0/ (Win32, Maverick32+64 and source; the portable-package does include also linux binaries but libraries for them are not included so you'll need luck to match the versions - please compile yourself).

We'd appreciate any comments either here or at out IRC: #performous@freenode

aave000

Re: New song editor needs testing

Postby aave000 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:41 am

Pity no one seems interested. :-(

Now 1.0 is released - unfortunately without OSX support yet, but there is now FoF MIDI export to complement the import. It could use some testing though (exported songs can be re-imported and they also seem to be valid for Performous but FoFiX status is unknown at this point, so help would be appreciated). I also updated the image in the first post as there was rather many visual changes since rc1. Website.

Changes since rc1:
  • Midi export
  • Piano keys
  • Unified Note properties & Tools tab
  • Performance optimizations
  • Synth now also on Windows
  • More UI feedback using busy-dialogs
  • Small fixes and tweaks

Downloads
DRUMZZZ!
Typhus

Postby Typhus » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:06 am

This looks cool. I'm not having time to test this but, anyway, it's nice to see your efforts.

Thank you. :thumbup:

Nothing for now...

Click Here -> Latest W.I.P. song is Ride The Sky by Helloween

Kotti wrote:One of the many songs Typhus made for FoFH3. Check out his song thread, he deserves more recognition than is getting...
lukarocker wrote:Your latest Arch enemy song made my decision! YOU ARE MY NUMBER ONE FRETTER!!!
nariel99 wrote:But luckily , you find the post and were interested in the project. And the result : a pure moment of epicness in Frets on Fire . Once again thank you...
death_au wrote:Power metal covers of pop songs = WIN
+ Frets on Fire = EPIC WIN. Thank you Typhus :thumbup:
OPIK wrote:+ All difficulties included. That's PRECISELY why TYPHUS is in my "Personnal TOP 3 Best Fretters" !
dertanz wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T EVER QUIT... man you are one of my fav charters :crying: you can't quit... if you quit charting I'd quit playing :crying:
DaBackStabber666 wrote:I love your frettings :D
loth wrote:Typhus YOU SO RULE!! I love playing the songs you have fretted! :2thumbsup: Even on Supereasy the accurate representation of the music comes out. What a pleasure playing these, I can't wait for more metal tunes from you. Thanks SO much for doing ALL LEVELS, my fun meter is on high! :thumbup:
THANKS GUYS!!

My Song Thread [ALL DIFFICULTIES] | Alternative/Rock/Metal Genres
Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake -> FULL ALBUM
Lamb Of God - Sacrament -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Lamb Of God - Wrath -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Check out Puppetz Advanced Song Tutorial, now with instructions on how to use Anchors.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:26 am

I gave it a quick try. Some suggestions:
+Add drag and drop functionality for audio files, ie. dragging an audio file onto the window performs insert music file.
+Since you have support for FoF MIDI lyrics, it might be worth adding support for script style lyrics, a format similar to simple LRC. It might even be worth considering supporting KAR and SKAR import. You can browse the source of FoFLC in EOF's source to see how the import logic works.
+The audio graphing seems to be drawn slowly, could performance increase with any additional caching of processed data?
+Add a hot key for playing/pausing the audio, and perhaps allow seeking.

Some problems:
*Composer does not handle extended LRC correctly, it inserts the timestamps in with the actual lyric text.
*When I insert an OGG file (I've tried a few), Composer experiences a crash from avcodec-52.dll. Inserting an MP3 file seems to work. Inserting MP3s causes logging for errors such as "[mp3 @ 072fe5b0]Header missing" and "FFMPEG error: cannot decode audio frame", even though as far as I know, it is a perfectly normal MP3 file. I am running Windows XP x64 Pro.
*FoF chart import seems broken. If I try to load a song.ini, nothing happens. If I try to load a MIDI that has lyrics, it will fail with various errors:
"Does not look like a song file (wrong size)" for a MIDI with line synced lyrics
"Does not look like a song file (wrong header)" for a MIDI with syllable synced and pitched lyrics
*LRC import inserts the metadata fields such as song title as lyrics.
*Synthesizer tone playback is sluggish and plays late for me on every lyric.
aave000

Postby aave000 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:49 am

raynebc wrote:I gave it a quick try. Some suggestions:
+Add drag and drop functionality for audio files, ie. dragging an audio file onto the window performs insert music file.
+Since you have support for FoF MIDI lyrics, it might be worth adding support for script style lyrics, a format similar to simple LRC. It might even be worth considering supporting KAR and SKAR import. You can browse the source of FoFLC in EOF's source to see how the import logic works.
+The audio graphing seems to be drawn slowly, could performance increase with any additional caching of processed data?
+Add a hot key for playing/pausing the audio, and perhaps allow seeking.

Good ideas. We actually have seeking: you can either drag the playback cursor or double click to the desired position on the note graph. The rendering is threaded/asynchronous, meaning that the pitch is drawn in the background and updated when available. This makes it snappy on slow computers also, but since slow computers cannot render it in near realtime, chunks come in slower leaving empty space and giving the impression of slowness. I guess one method worth experimenting would be to draw a larger area at once.

raynebc wrote:Some problems:
*Composer does not handle extended LRC correctly, it inserts the timestamps in with the actual lyric text.
*When I insert an OGG file (I've tried a few), Composer experiences a crash from avcodec-52.dll. Inserting an MP3 file seems to work. Inserting MP3s causes logging for errors such as "[mp3 @ 072fe5b0]Header missing" and "FFMPEG error: cannot decode audio frame", even though as far as I know, it is a perfectly normal MP3 file. I am running Windows XP x64 Pro.
*FoF chart import seems broken. If I try to load a song.ini, nothing happens. If I try to load a MIDI that has lyrics, it will fail with various errors:
"Does not look like a song file (wrong size)" for a MIDI with line synced lyrics
"Does not look like a song file (wrong header)" for a MIDI with syllable synced and pitched lyrics
*LRC import inserts the metadata fields such as song title as lyrics.
*Synthesizer tone playback is sluggish and plays late for me on every lyric.

* There is no LRC import, only export
* OGGs not working is strange, have to take a look into that. FFmpeg libraries like to spam error messages, usually even when they don't matter to the user (crashing is unforgivable though).
* Seems like FoF import could use some work as it seems to fail with quite many files (succeeds with others and can load midi exported by itself; the exported midis also work in Performous). When importing, the INI file should be selected for now, regrettably trying the mid-file currently ends up using ini-parser which is obviously wrong.
* Again, no LRC import
* Synthesizer is a kind of a trouble maker everywhere - the currently used audio library (Phonon) is rather bad and making a synthesizer with it involves a bunch of horrible hacks. This will really be fixed only when we replace Phonon. That being said, the sync works fine on my netbook sporting Win7 Starter (32bit) and main machine with 64bit Linux, though I can easily think it breaking especially on slower machines. Or perhaps the fact that the libs are 32bit and your OS is 64bit causes some kind of slowness.

Anyway, thank you very much for a detailed and useful post. :)
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:52 am

I'm more inclined to think it's an architecture issue. My computer's not brand new, but it is a P4 3GHz processor, 2 GB of memory, 1GB video card, etc. I misunderstood about the LRC, I glanced at the help window and it mentioned LRC support, I just didn't see that it said export.

Return to “FOF Mod Discussion and Support”