EOF 1.7RC3

Discuss mods and get help with mods ONLY
drihscol

Re: EOF 1.7RC2

Postby drihscol » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:15 am

Well, It would make syncing a whole lot easier, because Harmonix puts a song count-in, which the midi has to compensate for, moving the chart forward, requiring the midi to be moved backward.
Understand what I mean?
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bajnmkinaopofbfaopenlfooloknfjlf?hl=en-US

Spoiler:Bands I like

Pink Floyd
Dream Theater
Rush
Radiohead
The Pixies
The Doors
Elo
Ok Go
Jethro Tull
The Beatles
Pearl Jam
Alice In Chains

Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:27 am

You can just as easily insert silence and use a delay value for the chart. We've thought about trying to allow EOF to insert silence, but that would require re-encoding the audio and would lower the audio quality. I don't even know if FoF supports a negative chart delay. The most reliable thing to do is still probably to manually insert silence to the beginning of the chart, that's what Harmonix does as well.
'_>'
SUSAltd

Postby SUSAltd » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:31 am

By the way, delay in the song.ini can't be negative.

Spoiler:

ImageCharting Achievements:
1st place 2009 April Novice Guitar competition
3rd place 2009 May Expert Guitar competition
4th place 2009 June Expert Guitar competition
1st place 2010 February Guitar competition
1st place 2010 April Guitar Competition
2nd place 2010 May Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 June Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 August Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 December Guitar Competition

Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:41 am

Well there you go. We'll see if we can get anywhere with inserting silence within EOF. The main benefit of this would be that you can easily allow the desired amount of lead in without going outside of EOF, and it could automatically adjust the chart delay.

If any audio experts out there can tell us if and how OGG files can be concatenated on a binary level to join them (removing the need to re-encode the chart audio), it could help us add this feature.
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:43 pm

A difficult question. I fully understand the desire not to reencode, not just due to how slow it would be but also due to the fact that generational loss will occur.

If the amount of silence is a multiple of the block size in which Vorbis encodes its packets, it would be possible (though quite involved) to pad the beginning of a stream with silence, preserving the encoded audio data bit-for-bit. I don't know how exactly, but it's a possibility. (I have more gory details if this interests you.)

The Ogg Vorbis mapping does have a provision for chaining, which works simply by concatenating one stream to another, but I strongly do not recommend using it. While libvorbisfile (which is what nearly all programs that simply need to grab audio from Ogg Vorbis files use to do so) supports it, very few programs that use libvorbisfile are fully prepared to deal with chained files, and in the official FoFiX song specification I am working on, chaining will be forbidden for that reason.

Personally, I'd just go with using the delay= directive in song.ini and allowing it to be adjusted within EOF.
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:49 pm

I'm going to look into a couple of the "OGG Video Tools":
http://en.flossmanuals.net/TheoraCookbo ... heoraFiles

As long as we can come up with an efficient way to create an OGG with the desired number of milliseconds of silence, having EOF insert padding could become a reality.

Edit:
Apparently, OGG streams can't concatenate as I'd hoped. They wrote stream chaining into the OGG spec for this purpose, but it's already been said that FoF will not support chained OGG files. This means that adding this feature to EOF will require re-encoding the OGG.
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:08 am

Actually, I just tested a file created with oggCat in FoF and it played both streams back to back as expected. This means we should be able to make an insert silence function that doesn't require re-encoding.
"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
EOF - A Song Editor for Frets On Fire
'_>'
SUSAltd

Postby SUSAltd » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:00 am

Something annoying I've noticed is that when I change the tempo, I lose any custom HO/POs and Crazy Notes that I've added. I don't know if it's a bug or it's always been like that (or more unlikely, it's supposed to be like that), but it's pretty annoying to have to fix all my HO/POs and stuff everytime I change the tempo a bit.

Spoiler:

ImageCharting Achievements:
1st place 2009 April Novice Guitar competition
3rd place 2009 May Expert Guitar competition
4th place 2009 June Expert Guitar competition
1st place 2010 February Guitar competition
1st place 2010 April Guitar Competition
2nd place 2010 May Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 June Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 August Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 December Guitar Competition

beebe

Postby beebe » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:24 pm

This version doesn't seem to be able to add drum fills. If you go to BRE and extend the notes to where you want it to be it doesn't write the notes as long notes to MIDI so drum fills and big rock endings don't work on this version.

Spoiler:

Image"I. F*cking. Love. Penguins!"

Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:53 pm

I just tried this. I had some problems with forced HO/PO's. They seemed to be marked ok in the editor itself, but when I played them, only 2 or 3 in a row actually worked, then you had to strum again, and back to the 2/3 forced ho/pos and so on. I can send you a midi if you want.

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:54 pm

beebe wrote:This version doesn't seem to be able to add drum fills. If you go to BRE and extend the notes to where you want it to be it doesn't write the notes as long notes to MIDI so drum fills and big rock endings don't work on this version.

Confirmed and fixed in SVN revision 499

slashfan7964 wrote:I just tried this. I had some problems with forced HO/PO's. They seemed to be marked ok in the editor itself, but when I played them, only 2 or 3 in a row actually worked, then you had to strum again, and back to the 2/3 forced ho/pos and so on. I can send you a midi if you want.

FoFiX doesn't support forced HOPOs. Are you saying that they aren't working in Phase Shift? If that's the case, then yes, please send me the chart files so I can investigate.
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:02 pm

Yeah it doesn't work in Phase Shift.

Hang on. Uploading now

-- Edit: October 24th, 2010, 4:12 pm --

http://www.mediafire.com/?wgtwbka51a01jr3

Here ya go

-- Edit: October 24th, 2010, 4:48 pm --

Found another issue:

If you mark forced ho/pos (on or off) then mark solos/sp phrases after, the forced ho/pos get deleted.

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: EOF 1.7RC3

Postby raynebc » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:17 pm

I'm no longer able to reproduce the issue you mention regarding the HOPO statuses, it might have been one of the things that were fixed already. EOF 1.7RC3 is now available in the first post. Changes since RC2:
*The album tag is loaded from ID3/OGG tag during chart creation, if it is present
*Time signature changes can now optionally be imported/exported from/to MIDI
*Applied jstump's correction to the FoFLC makefiles
*Note statuses are now kept during paste/auto-adjust operations
*EOF now has the option to generate and insert silence at the beginning of the chart audio
*Fixed a save crash that could occur when importing a MIDI that is given an audio file shorter than the MIDI file itself
*Updates to FoFLC 2.35, ie. you can now import SRT subtitles
*Fixes an issue where drum fill and big rock endings were written incorrectly to the MIDI during save
*Corrects the writing of forced HOPO on/off phrases, which can be used in Phase Shift

The Time Signature handling is still very experimental, so please use it with the knowledge that it may not work. If it doesn't work, you can disable the option to import/export TS changes so defining them won't break your chart when you play it in FoF/Phase Shift. Please let us know if you find any problems.
beebe

Re: EOF 1.7RC3

Postby beebe » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:30 pm

When I try to import MIDI EOF immediately crashes under RC3

Spoiler:

Image"I. F*cking. Love. Penguins!"

Return to “FOF Mod Discussion and Support”