Chainsaw Octopus's Custom Graphics (Necks)

Discuss mods and get help with mods ONLY
This topic is 14 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
ADH

Re: Chainsaw Octopus's Custom Graphics (Necks)

Postby ADH » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:03 pm

mydeepestdream wrote:If the case is that it's his name, and not the name of an actual octopus, it isn't octopi.

Grammar lulz.

it would still be "Octopus's" b/c it's possessive, Not plural.
Let there be drums!
Chainsaw Octopus

Postby Chainsaw Octopus » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:10 am

I didn't expect five posts about the punctuation of my user name. :laugh: Octopus' or octopus's would be correct, but I went with the latter because it sounds right and because that's the way The Beatles wrote it for Octopus's Garden.
I AM THE CATFISH MAN
Nathaniel607

Postby Nathaniel607 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:33 am

ADH wrote:
mydeepestdream wrote:If the case is that it's his name, and not the name of an actual octopus, it isn't octopi.

Grammar lulz.

it would still be "Octopus's" b/c it's possessive, Not plural.

For those of you who don't watch QI, "octopuses" is actually more gramatically acceptable than "octopi", as a plural.

The term octopus, pronounced /ˈɒktəpʊs/, is from Greek ὀκτάπους (oktapous), "eight-footed",[30][31] with plural forms: octopuses /ˈɒktəpʊsɪz/, octopi /ˈɒktəpaɪ/, or octopodes /ɒkˈtɒpədiːz/. Currently, octopuses is the most common form in the US as well as the UK; octopodes is rare, and octopi is often objectionable.[32]

The Oxford English Dictionary (2004 update[33]) lists octopuses, octopi and octopodes (in that order); it labels octopodes "rare", and notes that octopi derives from the mistaken assumption that octōpūs is a second declension Latin noun, which it is not. Rather, it is a Latinization of Greek third-declension masculine oktṓpous (ὀκτώπους, 'eight-foot'), plural oktṓpodes (ὀκτώποδες). If the word were native to Latin, it would be octōpēs, plural octōpedes, after the pattern of pēs ('foot'), plural pedēs, analogous to "Centipede"[34]. The actual Latin word for octopus and other similar species is polypus, from Greek polýpous (πολύπους, 'many-foot'); usually the inaccurate plural polypī is used instead of polypodēs.

In modern Greek, the word is khtapódi (χταπόδι), plural khtapódia (χταπόδια), from Medieval oktapódion (ὀκταπόδιον), equivalent to Classical oktápous (ὀκτάπους), variant of oktṓpous.

Chambers 21st Century Dictionary[35] and the Compact Oxford Dictionary[36] list only octopuses, although the latter notes that octopodes is "still occasionally used"; the British National Corpus has 29 instances of octopuses, 11 of octopi and 4 of octopodes. Merriam-Webster 11th Collegiate Dictionary lists octopuses and octopi, in that order; Webster's New World College Dictionary lists octopuses, octopi and octopodes (in that order).

Fowler's Modern English Usage states that "the only acceptable plural in English is octopuses," and that octopi is misconceived and octopodes pedantic.

The term octopod (plural octopods or octopodes) is taken from the taxonomic order Octopoda but has no classical equivalent. The collective form octopus is usually reserved for animals consumed for food.

Awesome necks! :tongue:

Return to “FOF Mod Discussion and Support”