RF-mod-4 Discussion - Questions, suggestions, whining

Discuss mods and get help with mods ONLY
This topic is 7 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
VIRUSX900

Postby VIRUSX900 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:13 pm

I like the HOPO. Maybe it's just because i sucked at HOPO's before and i learned it better on here....
The whole game play feels different on here with the GH angle. And that's great.I actually feel like I'm playing Guitar hero again.
-Those Who Can, Do. Those who Can't, Get Their Ass Kicked! :cool:
Lange

Postby Lange » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:53 pm

Amazing work, but theres still a few problems in this version that I've seen in all the previous versions (I didn't report them before because... well, I was lazy.) The problems are marked with a black rectangle around them:

The first two screenshots show a bug that I've only noticed (so far) in Jordan when played on Expert. If you Restart the song from the in-song menu, there's one specific hopo (again, that I've noticed so far) that changes.

First play:

After in-song restart:

There are also two notes that are impossible to hit in Freebird on Expert. Whenever the following double yellow note comes up, I can never hit it. I'm sure it's not just me:

There could be other times where both the bugs happen, but either I don't pay close enough attention, or I'm just not good at the song anyway, so I pass off 'impossible' notes as my own lack of skill. Thank you in advance for checking this out, and thank you for all your hard work on RF-Mod.
Rogue_F

Postby Rogue_F » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:38 pm

Zircon wrote:Thanks Rogue! Finally I can move to 1.2.451 :)
Now that you released RF-Mod 4, the FoF devs will release a new Frets On Fire version 1.3.245 tomorrow :D:D
Just kidding :)

EDIT* I'm sorry if someone already said this or it was in some README, but are the HOPO hit margins smaller than regular notes? ???
When I played, I felt that I could hit a regular note very early. But when a HOPO note came, I found it hard to hit it?
Was this the intention?

No they are the same as in RF-3.5. The only thing that is different is that the margins are recalculated with VBPM (similar to capos).

-Alex
4512jth

Postby 4512jth » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:42 pm

Rogue_F wrote:
Zircon wrote:Thanks Rogue! Finally I can move to 1.2.451 :)
Now that you released RF-Mod 4, the FoF devs will release a new Frets On Fire version 1.3.245 tomorrow :D:D
Just kidding :)

EDIT* I'm sorry if someone already said this or it was in some README, but are the HOPO hit margins smaller than regular notes? ???
When I played, I felt that I could hit a regular note very early. But when a HOPO note came, I found it hard to hit it?
Was this the intention?

No they are the same as in RF-3.5. The only thing that is different is that the margins are recalculated with VBPM (similar to capos).

-Alex

is there any way to change that?
Signature truncated. Please see this post.
<!--
My sig was too big!
Rogue_F

Postby Rogue_F » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:53 pm

Lange wrote:Amazing work, but theres still a few problems in this version that I've seen in all the previous versions (I didn't report them before because... well, I was lazy.) The problems are marked with a black rectangle around them:

The first two screenshots show a bug that I've only noticed (so far) in Jordan when played on Expert. If you Restart the song from the in-song menu, there's one specific hopo (again, that I've noticed so far) that changes.

I use some logic in there to determine if I have already HOPO marked a song after a restart so as to not do it again. It's probably not always figuring out if it's been done before. I can add some other state variable to keep track of it. Should be easy to fix.

There are also two notes that are impossible to hit in Freebird on Expert. Whenever the following double yellow note comes up, I can never hit it. I'm sure it's not just me:

There could be other times where both the bugs happen, but either I don't pay close enough attention, or I'm just not good at the song anyway, so I pass off 'impossible' notes as my own lack of skill. Thank you in advance for checking this out, and thank you for all your hard work on RF-Mod.

I just played that section and was able to play that section you mentioned fine without a miss.

Try changing the HOPO key style from RF-mod to FoF and see if that makes any difference, if it does not, it's likely just the way FoF works.

The only things I have encountered in HOPO playing that is funny especially in freebird is usually a limitation of my keyboard.

In that section of freebird you're playing R then HOPO G then Y.

You are probably Holding R, and Rolling to G. You might still be holding on to R as you go to G. Then when you are going to yellow you're still holding R or G and then you've got a 3 button combo that may not work with your keyboard.

I've seen cases where the actual hammer or pull works against you on a keyboard because of this. If you 'tap' meaning release the previous note fully before going to the next it works

-Alex
Rogue_F

Postby Rogue_F » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:54 pm

Logan812 wrote:where's the link

You can find it on the info thread

-Alex
Rogue_F

Postby Rogue_F » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:00 pm

Ichi_Vanilla wrote:pumped for this, but one quick question, when you say "2 fret only chords" does this mean your mod disables 3 and 4 fret chords? because i enjoy using those, considering GHII actually uses them, i have no need to dumb down my playing experience.

and if it does, is there a simple way to undo it?

thanks in advance, and i appreciate all the hard work.

Almost all the things in RF-mod are toggleable.

If you can play 3 and 4 note chords (likely because you're using a GH controller) then don't turn this on.

If you have a sucky keyboard that can at most play 2 keys and pick reliably this is for you.

-Alex
_Ax

Postby _Ax » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:16 pm

I love you..

<3
How about you use the Image
button before you make that thread...
uberlulz

Postby uberlulz » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:19 pm

A lot of my songs are running really slow in board-speed. I tried to install it over 1.2 once, and the other time I did a clean install with nothing but what's included in the download you put up. It happened both times. I did delete my .ini (and made a new one after that)

Here's two example pics from Free Bird. (I have nothing to compare them to except for my memory and the fact that I seem to be missing every note because of how slow the board is..)

Didn't happen at all to me in 3.5, I didn't beta test 4.0 so I couldn't tell you if it happened then.

P.S. Sorry in advance if it's something you already addressed that isn't fixable or whatever.

P.P.S. I'm running it on Windows 2000 SP3 if that's important.
VIRUSX900

Postby VIRUSX900 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:27 pm

Do you possibly have any virus's on your computer? (seriously) Because that slows me down.
-Those Who Can, Do. Those who Can't, Get Their Ass Kicked! :cool:
uberlulz

Postby uberlulz » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:30 pm

VIRUSX900 wrote:Do you possibly have any virus's on your computer? (seriously) Because that slows me down.

The game itself runs flawlessly.

In those pics it's running at the full 80 FPS I have it set to. It's just that the notes are all scrunched up and the board moves incredibly slowly. At a snail-like pace.

All my songs are still in sync and everything, they're just.. slow.

I just noticed while I was testing songs, that the default songs that come with FoF don't have this problem. I didn't ever reinstall those, though, so why are they still running at normal speed?
Dan1lo

Postby Dan1lo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:31 pm

uberlulz wrote:A lot of my songs are running really slow in board-speed. I tried to install it over 1.2 once, and the other time I did a clean install with nothing but what's included in the download you put up. It happened both times. I did delete my .ini (and made a new one after that)

Here's two example pics from Free Bird. (I have nothing to compare them to except for my memory and the fact that I seem to be missing every note because of how slow the board is..)

You might have used capo's mod, this makes freebird goes faster.

It disables VBPM and let the songs board speed be based on difficulty
uberlulz

Postby uberlulz » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:43 pm

Dan1lo wrote:
uberlulz wrote:A lot of my songs are running really slow in board-speed. I tried to install it over 1.2 once, and the other time I did a clean install with nothing but what's included in the download you put up. It happened both times. I did delete my .ini (and made a new one after that)

You might have used capo's mod, this makes freebird goes faster.

It disables VBPM and let the songs board speed be based on difficulty

Hmm..

I DID use Capo's mod before with RF 3.5, but VBPM did work (I remember the BPM changing during a certain part of Free Bird), and BPM most definitely wasn't based on difficulty, although I remember that being an option in the list.
piccia

Postby piccia » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:45 pm

first of all thanks for your work, it's really impressive.
I've tested rf-mod 4 a bit this evening, and there are only a couple of things I would like to point out:

1) rf-mod's hopo key style it's almost unusable for me, I miss tons of notes. That's probably because I suck (jurgen told me!), but FoF's key style was much easier! Well, we have a nice switch there, so that's ok, I'll keep playing with the plain old fof style. Just wanted to know if it has always been so hard with rf-mod (never played the older versions).

2) the neck graphics often "jumps", and this is really annoying (example: check "bad reputation"). Plain FoF doesn't do it, but instead it has notes slighty "sliding" up and down on the neck (which is bad too, but way less noticeable and annoying than the jumpy neck graphic). I think the problem is caused by VBPM, and actually it disappears if I turn VBR off. Again, we have a nice switch helping us :D but turning off VBPM has its own drawbacks... I know this problem was pointed out in the beta version discussion thread, but still seems to be an open problem in the final version too.
Get the latest FOF Contest Server:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fofcs/
Lovin Life
kpChadR08

Postby kpChadR08 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:50 pm

There are way too many things wrong with the timing of notes/hopos with rf mod 4.

I find it just unplayable right now.
"Rule 36: I am Legend, you are Beowulf, we are Marshal, and this is Sparta"
- IRC Channel

Songs Completed:Woo Hoo, Bring Me to Life

Return to “FOF Mod Discussion and Support”