RF-mod-4 Discussion - Questions, suggestions, whining

Discuss mods and get help with mods ONLY
This topic is 7 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
GasBandit

Postby GasBandit » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:22 am

Hey Alex, big kudos for the Mod and thanks for the efforts on all our behalf, I really dig the enhancements and customizability you've added with your mod. I just have a couple things to report to ya-

This may not be a high priority thing for you, it's just something I noticed because I like to turn down the song volume to make the guitar volume much louder (helps me concentrate on what I'm playing), but I'm noticing that custom volume settings aren't taking effect under the mod, unless you hit esc to bring up the paused menu during the song, then resume the song again, then the volume is immediately adjusted as was set. I further tested this out by setting song volume to 2 and guitar volume to 3 (out of 10) to verify it. Only seems to happen with the mod version (running two installs, one vanilla and one your mod, with two ini files renaming one out and one in when I switch between them).

Like I said, it may not be a big priority since I'm sure most people don't even bother changing any of the volume settings, I just thought you might want to hear of it.

The other thing, which is of a little more concern to me, is that RF-Mod seems to take a big performance hit over the vanilla FoF version during songs. My framerate is cut bigtime during songs in RF, although it is higher in menus than FoF. This is even when running under the lightgraphics mod, when more than 6 or 7 notes come on the screen at once it starts to suffer noticeably, and when a chord of 2 or more notes is being played it really suffers. The FoF framerate is usually smooth and constant, but when I play RFModded version it starts out at about half the usual framerate then gets worse as more notes appear, but then recovers somewhat when the notes thin out.

I have a friend who also runs your mod, and what perplexes me is his experience is the exact opposite... he had some performance issues with the base FoF version, but RFmod made it smooth and silky for him. I wonder if it has to do with the difference in our video cards. Granted, he's running a much more powerful rig than I am (he's got a 2.4 ghz dual core processor and is running a Nvidia 7800 GTX 256 pci/e, where I'm running a 1.7 ghz single core with an ATI 9800 pro AGP which is a few years older). Your mod also allows him to run at 44khz without snaps or pops or skipping in the song, which the unmodded version would not, so more kudos for you there too, heh. But I digress.

Do you have any tips or recommendations for settings for me to tweak to improve framerate under RFMod?
Sunblood

Postby Sunblood » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:32 pm

I don't know if it's been brought up, well, ever, but I've noticed this problem since HOPOs were implemented.

When there's a string of HOPOs that ends with a double note, BOTH notes are marked as Strum. However, the first note of that series should definitely be HOPO.

For reference, Carry Me Home on Expert, the very beginning.
[IMG]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221....MG]

See the YYY? The first one should be HOPO, like in this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=9E13jZqsKn4 (Carry Me Home, Expert, Guitar Hero II)

I have yet to see this brought up, but it would fix a TON of HOPO bugs when playing GH songs.
poison

Postby poison » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:38 pm

your image link didn't work... and i think RF has said something that there can only be a hopo note when a note close to it doesn't follow it cause he wants it that way or something... don't quote me on it... i just remember somethin like that... for example...
g
-
[y]yy
the yellow note in brackets would NOT be a hopo.
blah blah blah...
Songs Made: 3
Latest:
Good Charolette - Keep Your Hands off my Girl
Rogue_F

Postby Rogue_F » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:41 pm

EvilGnome wrote:So nothing like a .tar.gz with a makefile ready to go, like the official release?

it's python, there's no makefile.

You can run it from the source, or you can use freeze to 'compile' it into a standalone package.

-Alex
Rogue_F

Postby Rogue_F » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:47 pm

GasBandit wrote:Hey Alex, big kudos for the Mod and thanks for the efforts on all our behalf, I really dig the enhancements and customizability you've added with your mod. I just have a couple things to report to ya-

This may not be a high priority thing for you, it's just something I noticed because I like to turn down the song volume to make the guitar volume much louder (helps me concentrate on what I'm playing), but I'm noticing that custom volume settings aren't taking effect under the mod, unless you hit esc to bring up the paused menu during the song, then resume the song again, then the volume is immediately adjusted as was set. I further tested this out by setting song volume to 2 and guitar volume to 3 (out of 10) to verify it. Only seems to happen with the mod version (running two installs, one vanilla and one your mod, with two ini files renaming one out and one in when I switch between them).

Like I said, it may not be a big priority since I'm sure most people don't even bother changing any of the volume settings, I just thought you might want to hear of it.

The other thing, which is of a little more concern to me, is that RF-Mod seems to take a big performance hit over the vanilla FoF version during songs. My framerate is cut bigtime during songs in RF, although it is higher in menus than FoF. This is even when running under the lightgraphics mod, when more than 6 or 7 notes come on the screen at once it starts to suffer noticeably, and when a chord of 2 or more notes is being played it really suffers. The FoF framerate is usually smooth and constant, but when I play RFModded version it starts out at about half the usual framerate then gets worse as more notes appear, but then recovers somewhat when the notes thin out.

I have a friend who also runs your mod, and what perplexes me is his experience is the exact opposite... he had some performance issues with the base FoF version, but RFmod made it smooth and silky for him. I wonder if it has to do with the difference in our video cards. Granted, he's running a much more powerful rig than I am (he's got a 2.4 ghz dual core processor and is running a Nvidia 7800 GTX 256 pci/e, where I'm running a 1.7 ghz single core with an ATI 9800 pro AGP which is a few years older). Your mod also allows him to run at 44khz without snaps or pops or skipping in the song, which the unmodded version would not, so more kudos for you there too, heh. But I digress.

Do you have any tips or recommendations for settings for me to tweak to improve framerate under RFMod?

I will look a tthat, the volume settings were new in 1.2.X.

There are only 2 volume things I can think of that I do.

1) In a multi track mod (guitar, song, rhythm) I emphasize whatever part you are playing (guitar or rhythm) so they are more pronounced.

2) When you miss, the volume does not go to zero, it goes to whatever the miss volume is set to.

As far as performance goes, try turning on/off some of the performance sucking eye candies....

Note and fret SFX, hit flames, etc. Those should only make things better, hit flames were the only addition that stock fof didn't have.

-Alex
Rogue_F

Postby Rogue_F » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:51 pm

Sunblood wrote:I don't know if it's been brought up, well, ever, but I've noticed this problem since HOPOs were implemented.

When there's a string of HOPOs that ends with a double note, BOTH notes are marked as Strum. However, the first note of that series should definitely be HOPO.

For reference, Carry Me Home on Expert, the very beginning.
[IMG]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221....MG]

See the YYY? The first one should be HOPO, like in this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=9E13jZqsKn4 (Carry Me Home, Expert, Guitar Hero II)

I have yet to see this brought up, but it would fix a TON of HOPO bugs when playing GH songs.

This is not something easily fixed. It has to do with the following notes being the same. I can't look ahead/back that far so If the note behind the one you are on is the same note, the last note can't be a HOPO.

I might be able to modify it to check if it's the end of a HOPO (that's a different kind of mark internally) but again, without having a lot of lookahead/lookbehind it's hard to fix.
-Alex
Ozonek

Postby Ozonek » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:02 pm

kaki123 wrote:I found a bug, sometimes when you miss a note and then do the next one it doesn't play the guitar.ogg, but then it continues after you do the ones after it

I think it's about that "volume bug fix". Now the time when the game checks if you missed the note is longer, so when you miss note, and then fast hit another it has lowered volume too. Also it makes going back to strum harder in FoF ho/po's.

I may be wrong.

But thanks a lot for fixing that volume bug, now I can use your mod :) Great one, Rogue_F

-
Ozonek
bakerer

Postby bakerer » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:46 am

I installed and things seem to be working fine, BUT, my notes on the fretboard are turned vertical! its very hard to play this way! please help!
Mass Effect FTW :)
BlackFate

Postby BlackFate » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:21 am

bakerer wrote:I installed and things seem to be working fine, BUT, my notes on the fretboard are turned vertical! its very hard to play this way! please help!

Get the latest version of FOF, or get the new notes for the latest version of FOF.
Songs Finished: 82,
Metallica - Papa Roach - Disturbed - Bloodhound Gang
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:44 am

Rogue_F, are you trying to beat h3r1n6's mod replies record?
zelurker

Postby zelurker » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:35 am

I have made a few patches for rf_mod4, version 4.12 there :
http://www.rainemu.com/html/archive/tux/fof/

sources only there, no binary.

In hope it's usefull to someone...
poison

Postby poison » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:48 am

haha, i cant blame rogue if he is trying to beat herings mod reply record... heh.

thought it makes me wonder.. i know damn well rogue probably could've coded everything hering did and yet he didn't... it just makes me wonder why.
Last edited by poison on Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
blah blah blah...

Songs Made: 3

Latest:

Good Charolette - Keep Your Hands off my Girl
YMS

Postby YMS » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:52 am

zelurker wrote:I have made a few patches for rf_mod4, version 4.12 there :
http://www.rainemu.com/html/archive/tux/fof/

sources only there, no binary.

In hope it's usefull to someone...

I only want to speak about the lyrics part of your patches: When Alex put the lyrics feature into his RF-mod, he removed the "show lyrics" game menu entry (which has been existent in my "lyrics mod") by intend, and replaced it by a "lyrics" toggle in song.ini. You only re-introduced the old version, no fix here.
(This is not meant as an offense!)

RF-mod 4(.12) lyrics do work, as long as the song.ini of that certain song you're playing has a "lyrics =true" entry.
pwner
Tioso

Postby Tioso » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:19 pm

I need help! (RF mod 4.12)
I want to play with rhythm guitar and bass, but I don't know how to do it...
I've read the "RF-mod-EXAMPLES" and there is a link explaining how to play with them (http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1179), but I understand nothing...
please explain me how to play with rhythm guitar and bass

sorry for the english :D
:D
YMS

Postby YMS » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:44 pm

Tioso wrote:I need help! (RF mod 4.12)
I want to play with rhythm guitar and bass, but I don't know how to do it...
I've read the "RF-mod-EXAMPLES" and there is a link explaining how to play with them (http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1179), but I understand nothing...
please explain me how to play with rhythm guitar and bass

sorry for the english :D

The examples file only explains how to CREATE multi-track songs. You don't have to care about that as a player.

And for to play a rhythm part, just select a song that HAS such a part. RF-mod then asks you whether you want to play (lead) guitar or bass / rhythm guitar.

Most user-created songs don't have a rhythm part, many of the "Guitar Hero" songs do.
If there's no other part than the lead guitar part, you won't be asked and of course won't be able to play what isn't there. You can't really do anything wrong, apart from selecting single-track songs.

Return to “FOF Mod Discussion and Support”