Split screen multiplayer "RF-Mod-Mod"

Discuss mods and get help with mods ONLY
Pudding

Postby Pudding » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:57 pm

I've hacked a rudimentary split-screen multiplayer mode onto RF-mod v2. (Thanks Rogue_F for the tutorial).

Here's a screenshot :

There are a few caveats:

I don't really know anything about Python, so it's safe the say the resulting code is unsightly and is probably slow as hell

It looks ok on my widescreen monitor, but it will probably very squashed on a 4:3

I haven't done a lot of testing. In particular, having no chums to hand, I haven't even been able to test if the two players can pick at the same time! They probably can though.

DOWNLOAD HERE. Enjoy! (It installs just the same as RF-mod. probably best to backup your old exe and library.dat, oh and there's an option under settings -> game to enable it)
Shredder
jake2k3

Postby jake2k3 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:19 pm

I'm happily suprised. You got Multiplayer to work :), maybe. I'm guessing you just plug in a second keyboard/joystick/guitar and set all that up in control panel. I also don't have anyone to try this out with, but I'll see what I can come up with in the next few days.

I've tested it and the only snag I hit was when I was trying to exit a song in "Single Player" mode. I hit "Quit to main menu" and got an error, but it fixed itself the second time I hit quit.

Other than that it looks great. The scores look a little misplaced (maybe put 1P on the far left and 2P on the far right next version?), but I got passed it.

Thanks!
~Jake2k3
Goodbye everyone. It's been fun. I spent many many hours here on these boards and playing/contributing to FoF. Today I uninstalled my game and deleted all my files. I just don't have the time or interest anymore. I won't be coming back here anymore. I might show up in the IRC from time to time to chat. I regret nothing.

So long, farewell.
~Jake2k3
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:31 pm

Wow man, it's very nice. I tried it and everything seems to work...you should have seen me trying to pick on the keyboard and on the guitar controller at the same time!!! hahah but anyway, it seems to work fine. It's really surprising to see that somebody finally did it. For ppl wondering, you can select different instrument tracks like for a GH2 song and different difficulty levels. It wasnt laggy at all on my machine but I have a good one.

One bug though is in the key settings...I get this message "Player 2 key left" at the end of the menu. But anyway, it's really really interesting! thanks!
Nightmare JG

Postby Nightmare JG » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:40 pm

It only seems to work with Guitar Hero 2 songs, I haven't tried GH1 songs yet, but if you play an original song it plays, but there are no notes.
[PATENT PENDING]
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:13 pm

You're right, it's not working with all songs. Many will however, I tried with frets on fire originals and not all of them allow multiplayer. Also, when I tried to play the song with the same difficulty for both players, it was looking like I was playing for both (notes not turning grey).
el nini

Postby el nini » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:16 pm

Cool. Gotta try this out. Probably wont run too well on my crappy machine though.
Its just like life. Quite interesting in parts, but no substitute for the real thing.
mmsven

Postby mmsven » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:23 pm

raph666 wrote:You're right, it's not working with all songs. Many will however, I tried with frets on fire originals and not all of them allow multiplayer.

Multiplayer only works with songs that have a bass or rythme track. Thats why only GH2 songs work, and the very few custom ones that have more tracks

I'm gonna try this mod out now.
Last edited by mmsven on Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightmare JG

Postby Nightmare JG » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:25 pm

It worked with all the GH1 tracks just I tried.
Also, myself and my sister have found that there is a glitch preventing both players from strumming at the same time.

We were only able to hit notes the other missed.
Looks incredibly promising.
Last edited by Nightmare JG on Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[PATENT PENDING]
dinki

Postby dinki » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:04 pm

Nice job Pudding!
grensley

Postby grensley » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:35 pm

im confused on this one. does it include the rf mod in it?
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup.

Recently finished:
Pistol Grip Pump by RATM
12 Bar Blues
Wake Up by RATM
whatakevin

Postby whatakevin » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:54 pm

ohhh snap ima try this looks awesome
Pudding

Postby Pudding » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:21 am

grensley wrote:im confused on this one. does it include the rf mod in it?

I started from the original source files, with the RF-mod diffs applied, however when trouble shooting it seems some parts of the diffs didn't go through, so I'm not completely sure.

Thanks for the comments everybody. I'll have a go at some of these bugs tonight. That it doesn't work at all on some songs is embarrassing!
h3r1n6

Postby h3r1n6 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:03 am

Thank you <3<3<3
Dahaloman

Postby Dahaloman » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:23 am

Wow, looks really good. I'll have to have a go at it later! A+!
Dahaloman

Postby Dahaloman » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:38 am

Wait...sorry for the double post...but I put the library.zip in the data folder, but what do I do with the 'src' folder? I know I've seen it somewhere...meh, maybe you'll know. Also, when I start, I goto the Mod Selection, and it's not in there. Only Chilly.

Return to “FOF Mod Discussion and Support”