What is an .INI? - I have searched.

Discuss mods and get help with mods ONLY
This topic is 16 years and 9 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
zigXten

Postby zigXten » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:36 pm

I have searched, and I'm not good at nerd speak! :D

I have been using FoF for a while now, but I never made my own song. I followed nobby76's tutorial on how to make a song without fretting it (is that the correct term? Oh well.)

I have searched all 10 pages, and more, and this is what I got. ??? So yeah... I'm stuck. As I said, this is what tutorial I followed to make a song.
\"GabuEx\" wrote:There's a saying that I like: "When you and your friend are being chased by a bear, you don't have to outrun the bear; you only need to outrun your friend."
dgrams2000

Postby dgrams2000 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:01 pm

An '.ini' file is nothing more than a text file that a program (FOF in this case) looks at to grab settings used throughout the program.

By editing some aspects of an .ini file, you are able to change how things behave or look in a program. (In this case FOF)
JMT391

Postby JMT391 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:45 am

to create a .ini file (it's extremely simple)

you right click a blank space, select create new text document (or rich text document) and when it creates the file fill the name in with <filename>.ini (NOTE: the name does not need to be filename that was meant to show you enter whatever name you'd like - in your case "song.ini" - no quotes)

something will pop up saying "OMG YOU BASTARD YOU'RE CHANGING THE FILETYPE AND IT WILL BE UNSTABLE!!!11!"
just ignore it and click okay.

so it should now look like a text document with a gear on it. Then open it and enter whatever it is you need to enter

for your case, you'll need this:

[song]
name =
artist =
frets =
cassettecolor =

what each line is:
[song] - tells frets on fire it's loading a song
name = - you will fill in the song name after the = sign
artist = - you will fill in the song artist's name after the = sign.
frets = - you will fill in your name after the = sign
cassetecolor = - you will put in the hex color code after the = sign (go Here to choose what color and copypaste the code)

also if you want to make a CD label or cassette label for your song, you need a label.png (theres a tutorial on how to make one in here somewhere but that's optional)

this is how it will look in FoF if the .ini file looks like this:
[song]
name = this song
artist = this artist
frets = jmt391
cassettecolor = #000000

when you look at the song, the cd/cassette will be black
when you load it it will say this:
this song
by: this artist
fretted by: jmt391

also note that when you play a song, FoF adds a few lines to that .ini file such as count, and scores.
if it says count = 5, that means you've played the song 5 times and it will say so when you are selecting a song. (im sure you've noticed this)
and the scores is the line that stores all the scores you've gotten. (there may be more than one but they all save some type of score data)

remember to delete both of these lines when you release the song, because nobody wants to do it themselves. This way everybody gets a fresh song with none of your scores and stuff
Last edited by JMT391 on Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
warhol

Postby warhol » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:43 am

I MOST CERTAINLY AM NOT A NERD
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
dgrams2000

Postby dgrams2000 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:14 am

Denial will get you nowhere. :)
warhol

Postby warhol » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:20 am

dgrams2000 wrote:Denial will get you nowhere. :)

*Hugs legs in the corner and rocks back and forth*

Not a nerd...Not a nerd...Not a nerd...Not a nerd...Not a nerd...Not a nerd...Not a nerd...
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
zigXten

Postby zigXten » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:37 pm

And what if I don't have the gear thing? Is it OK?
\"GabuEx\" wrote:There's a saying that I like: "When you and your friend are being chased by a bear, you don't have to outrun the bear; you only need to outrun your friend."
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:47 pm

maybe you can just copy - paste an existing one and edit it...simple, this way you're sure you won't have a song.ini.txt or such
JMT391

Postby JMT391 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:38 pm

raph666 wrote:maybe you can just copy - paste an existing one and edit it...simple, this way you're sure you won't have a song.ini.txt or such

yeah that could work also

Return to “FOF Mod Discussion and Support”