My alterations to FoF - A lil' thread to call my own :)

Discuss mods and get help with mods ONLY
This topic is 17 years and 7 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
FozZ

Postby FozZ » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:44 pm

I thought I'd create my own thread here to post progress on the different aspects of the game that I am trying to alter, so that I don't keep leaving snippets around the various forums like I've done up to now.

Read on for what I've been up to......

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have today implemented my first neck skin, based on my guitar that I play the most - my ESP F400-FM. The skin tiles nicely and is supposed to look like mother of pearl set into ebony (I decided to add the edge binding just to make the whole thing look more solid)

Last edited by FozZ on Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Portfolio Website - http://www.monophobia.co.uk
SniperFox

Postby SniperFox » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:52 pm

Nice. I Love it.
FozZ

Postby FozZ » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:01 pm

(For some reason the forum won't let me edit the first message again - I had planned to keep updating that with my current progress)

Cheers SniperFox, good to hear approval :)

Still no luck getting the geometry of key.dae to show. I have had some correspondance with the guys that made FoF and they aren't sure why its not showing either, lol

I have followed their way of working in an attempt to put.......

....into FoF as the note indicator, but so far this happens.......

Atleast it doesn't crash anymore, but ive scanned through the XML file and can't see anything as to why it shouldn't display. Of course i'm no coder and as such am probably missing something really blatant.

Too Late For Roses

Postby Too Late For Roses » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:06 pm

Dude, that neck is beautiful. Any chance you can give me the file for it?
FozZ

Postby FozZ » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:09 pm

........Nope :p

hehe, sorry dude, but like I've mentioned elsewhere, I have plans to try make a full graphics package for this including new 3d items (backgrounds, menus, etc). If I give up on it then ill let people have what ive done to that point, but id rather release it all together. Just showing pics to keep people interested, and also so people can tell me if what I do is crap and should be changed/abandoned, lol

jakeman7676

Postby jakeman7676 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:10 pm

PRETTY PLZ I WANNA USETHAT SHIZ
Honorary Junior Deptuty Image
Too Late For Roses

Postby Too Late For Roses » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:11 pm

FozZ wrote:........Nope :p

hehe, sorry dude, but like I've mentioned elsewhere, I have plans to try make a full graphics package for this including new 3d items (backgrounds, menus, etc). If I give up on it then ill let people have what ive done to that point, but id rather release it all together. Just showing pics to keep people interested, and also so people can tell me if what I do is crap and should be changed/abandoned, lol

Lol OK I understand. So you think you'll eventually lose interest in modelling FoF and at that point release all of your stuff?
jakeman7676

Postby jakeman7676 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:12 pm

pooey
Honorary Junior Deptuty Image
FozZ

Postby FozZ » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:13 pm

It all depends on whether or not I can get the damn 3d stuff to work really, and on how much help my coding buddy can provide. Ill be back at my uni house before the end of the month, and thats when I can try enlist his help. So, till such a time that I mention otherwise, be patient and hopefully good things will come :)

wicaus

Postby wicaus » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:27 pm

I like it a lot so far, and I don't blame you. Would get tedious to be constantly stopping to upload small file after small file.
FozZ

Postby FozZ » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:49 am

Not a chage as such, but a realisation that should have been obvious to those who have mentioned subtitles to the songs they play.

The game already allows this, i.e. in the tutorial song folder there is a text file called script, and the *.svg files that appear at certain points.

The file seems relatively simple. Text entries to appear have 'text' written before them and image entries have 'pic' before them. The difficult part comes with the numbers that are in there. To me it would seem to be the time that should pass, then the entry to appear, then the time from showing that the entry dissappears, then back to the start, always having the time to elapse begin at zero from the point that the final entry dissappears (hope that makes sense to anyone but me)

I have tried to get the tutorial script to load with one of my own songs but so far haven't had any luck. I did notice that the config file for the tutorial had 'tutorial = 1' in there, but that simply seems to bind that song to the tutorial selection on the main menu, rather than telling it to load a script as well.

Would be great if somebody could work out how to get the scripts working over a normal song, then we can start working on getting the timing sorted out - for now I suggest you just use the script that is in the tutorial, ie one that we know can work.

FozZ

Too Late For Roses

Postby Too Late For Roses » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:32 pm

FozZ, I have a request if you don't mind.

When you figure out how to get the little skull fret to work, could you do me a couple of favors (or teach me how to do this stuff myself, lol)

I have a lot of problems with the notes, here's what I don't like about them

1. They look like little legos.
2. They're too small and too flat.
3. I don't like how there are bars even when you don't have to hold a note. I think it should JUST be the circle when you only hit a note and don't hold it.

So what I would like to see is...

The neck to be a little wider. (so that the notes can be a little bigger)
The notes to look almost exactly like Guitar Hero notes. (fatter, taller, wider, white dot in the middle, more rounded)
Also, the hold note bar is too flat and skinny, if you could make that like the GH hold note that would be awesome.

If you don't want to do this, that's fine, I could try to figure out myself lol.

Oh yeah, what do you use to open up/edit .dae files?
Too Late For Roses

Postby Too Late For Roses » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:04 pm

Actually, I just found out that the developer of Freetar Hero is considering open sourcing it, and he did the notes just like I wish they were on FoF.

And I forgot to tell you that the pink notes should be orange like they are on the GH controller lol.

Look
FozZ

Postby FozZ » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:05 pm

1. They look like little legos.

The frets do indeed look like little legos and thats why I want to change their appearance - the skull fret is simply a placeholder so I can see if things are working or not. I don't necessarily plan on using that - once it works, then I know anything I model can be put in its place.

2. They're too small and too flat.

Agreed, but obviously they won't look like that once I can get my geometry to work.

3. I don't like how there are bars even when you don't have to hold a note. I think it should JUST be the circle when you only hit a note and don't hold it.

Don't think this is something I could change, as the bars are probably generated vectors.

I am currently making Master of Puppets (as in right now, lol) for FoF and I'm using the Freetar Hero Editor to plot it all out, and then converting it using that handy tool that was linked somewhere on these forums (http://www.nukular.ch/foftools) - using this method means that I will have to then use the FoF editor to add in where I want chords/notes to be held, but does mean that single notes do not have the bars that you mentioned.

So what I would like to see is...

The neck to be a little wider. (so that the notes can be a little bigger)
The notes to look almost exactly like Guitar Hero notes. (fatter, taller, wider, white dot in the middle, more rounded)
Also, the hold note bar is too flat and skinny, if you could make that like the GH hold note that would be awesome.

I can't edit the area that can be used for the neck. Although Once I get coder help this could be tackled i'd have thought.

I won't be making any guitar hero look-a-likey notes as I don't think people should be aiming to make this look identical. The whole point is to make this something new to look at, even though the concept is the same.

Oh yeah, what do you use to open up/edit .dae files?

I've managed to get the *.dae files to open in 3ds max (my primariy modelling package) now using the Collada plugin (I didnt have the collada tools before which these plugins are reliant upon).

If you just want to view the files then serach for Collview.

You can download Blender for free which also lets you import Collada files.

At present I am having to export the modified dae files from max as *.3ds files, open them in Blender and then export those back to *.dae files. For some reason max will only let you export dae files as triangles rather than polygons, and the FoF guys have told me that you have to use polys.

The only minor success I have had so far was placing the skull fret above the standard one and loading it into the game. This cast a shadow on the origianl note and made them a lot darker, so obviously the game recognises that the geometry is there, leading me to believe this is a materials issue, but Im still not sure.

Anyway, back to Master of Puppets, then I might have another crack at the notes issues later tonight.

FozZ

Too Late For Roses

Postby Too Late For Roses » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:24 pm

Alright, well for those of us who aren't pro modellers and can't afford to spend 3500 bucks on 3dsMax, do you think I could just use gmax and import them into blender?

Return to “FOF Mod Discussion and Support”