The Great Wikidot update of 2016

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 8 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

The Great Wikidot update of 2016

Postby amak11 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:07 am

Oh wow, it has been a while since I made a thread. But come on I support this forum with my heart and soul and old school mentality.

As for this, I am looking in to updating our Wikidot page with the latest and more! We all love the forum and how handy it is but the wikidot has always been a external source of information. The last major update to the Wikidot we did was fix and update all the song tables and remove the junk. This was a grand effort made by a few of us who frequent the IRC. Now I'm broadening my search out to people in the forums who have experience in doing this. Bare in mind, we have to keep it low bandwidth and NO direct links to files

My main concerns for the wikidot:
- Update and fix broken images
- Fix and update some tutorials and link necessary links back to the forums
- overhaul the main page for better navigation
- Add additional information if needed (like adding Phase Shift to the Miscellaneous section)

There is more that could be done, but for now we'll keep this to a minimum.

As for image hosting, imgur guest is 2 weeks, imgur account is as long as your account is open. I use servimg personally for websites.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

AKA Super Blooper
AlexTaylor

Re: The Great Wikidot update of 2016

Postby AlexTaylor » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:24 am

Cool.

So eventually, is it going to be updated song-wise, like add current charts and charters (i.e. Mine, Froogle, etc.), and remove dead links?
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:27 pm

On the topic of Wikidot, I have a complaint. The "S" page apparently has become too large to add anything to it. A technical restriction imposed by Wikidot, I figure.

It hasn't (yet) become a priority, but perhaps we could pull the wiki over to fretsonfire.org and host it "locally." I could probably even set up shared account credentials like I did with the Wikiposts so that users wouldn't need to make more accounts.

Worth considering...
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
Still Alive
wolferacing

Postby wolferacing » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:59 pm

nwru wrote:It hasn't (yet) become a priority, but perhaps we could pull the wiki over to fretsonfire.org and host it "locally." I could probably even set up shared account credentials like I did with the Wikiposts so that users wouldn't need to make more accounts.

I agree with this idea, for the most part. The wikidot has never really been a great solution for a song database. It takes forever to go through and find dead links, remove, add new ones, ect. My main concern is future-proofing. Lets say we finally get around to having a link checker for the Tune Posting section. If dead song topics get moved, the wiki database would still have that song, and the link would probably be broken. It would be nice for a more native database for songs. Something like nwru's database idea but without the hashes and gizmos (for now).

This way, a dead link checker can interact with the database as well. With enough work, adding songs could even be semi-automated, or at least less headache than the wiki tables. The wiki works great for other information, but I think it is time for a new song database structure.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:43 pm

If that's the case, why don't we remove the song "database" from there? (The joys of tables)

I'm with you nwru on this. I was going to ask you about that whenever I hopped on to the IRC today. I'm generally not a big fan of the list there and I would love to keep it as an informative external source linking back to the forum for all the other info (FoFiX, EoF, Customs, etc)
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

FrOoGle

Postby FrOoGle » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:39 pm

AlexTaylor wrote:Cool.

So eventually, is it going to be updated song-wise, like add current charts and charters (i.e. Mine, Froogle, etc.), and remove dead links?

I've been acknowledged! C:

And, yeah, Alex, I think so. Hopefully, anyway. I'm sick of seeing bozos bumping 10 year old threads, asking for reuploads of songs that have been charted 100,000,00 times.
My Song Thread - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59701
FrOoGle HeRo I - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=628936#p628936
FrOoGle HeRo II (unfinished :C) - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58720
FrOoGle HeRo III - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=637471#p637471
FrOoGle HeRo IV - viewtopic.php?f=17&p=638836
Bullet Train Blast - Nothing Remains (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=630599#p630599
Shadows Fall - Fire From the Sky (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59287&p=634454&hilit=Shadows+fall#p634454

Signature picture provided by The---Way
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:19 am

I think my goal is to remove song tables from there. If there is a database in the future it's easy to maintain and not constrained by the character limit of wikidot. I'd have to get the blessings from the owner of the wikidot before making that massive of a change.

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....

Return to “General FOF Discussion”