New storage platform

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 8 years and 10 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.

Do you agree to let me administer the content for FoF in a custom search oriented CMS?

Poll ended at Fri May 22, 2015 5:09 pm

Yeah, sure, why not.
45%
Nah, get out of here.
55%

Total votes: 11
fenrirson

New storage platform

Postby fenrirson » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:09 pm

I noticed many download links are dead, since they use deprecated services like rapidshare or the files were just deleted by the administration of the storage service.
I have a small server of my own and I really loved this game back in the day, so I'd be glad to create a simple CMS to upload and catalog songs, themes and maybe mods. I don't really have much space, but at least some of the content may be organized in a more stadard and user friendly framework.

So I propose a poll, in a month I'll check if enough people (let's say 100+) agree to let me administer the content for FoF and I'll build the site. Of course I'll need the community to help me compiling and curating the content and there's a remote risk that the whole project could fall apart due to copyright issues, so it's no a warranty, but it's something.
The last forum user
Maupy2

Re: New storage platform

Postby Maupy2 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:58 am

Hmm if i remember correctly, there are plans for something like this already. Check the link at the top of the forum that says "tell us what you want the future of the forum to be!". Maybe you could join the convo there.
My song thread (mostly guitar)
MY FIRST STORY song thread
A Day To Remember Hero REVIVAL
A Lot Like Birds

My name is Maurits.
They/them pronouns
If you want to reach me, send me a private message. I don't usually log in any more, but I have email notifications turned on for private messages.
TrojanNemo

Postby TrojanNemo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:47 pm

As the person running C3's storage, I would urge you to reconsider.
My server has "unlimited storage" and "unlimited bandwidth" - but without getting into details of how many files are downloaded, let's just say we're well over 100GB in storage alone, and you wouldn't believe the bandwidth usage. And that's for C3's meticulously curated, limited database.
If you open up something here where "anyone can upload" kind of thing, you'll quickly be well beyond what C3 has, so I would discourage you unless you can dedicate between 250-500GB of storage and over a terabyte of bandwidth MONTHLY to this plan.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Wed May 06, 2015 3:29 pm

Forget it, won't happen. might as well close the poll right now.

There are no plans (or ever have been) to have our own server to store all the songs on. Right at the very beginning (like in 2006) the old forum had got an upload feature but it is/was too risky storing all that copyright content on our own place.
Thats we have always kept it as Host servers. That way at most all a record label can do is contact those servers and ask for the files to be removed.

And if your next answer was gonna be "but its not hosted on the forums server, its MY server which is separate" then also forget that as well. For a very simple reason. One user has total control over all the songs available to the entire community...No way..
All it takes is for you to get bored of fof or for you to fall out with one of the mods/admins and you decide "right screw you lot, im shutting the servers down, that will show you" and thats it all our songs are gone forever.. again something the community is not willing to risk

This isnt anything new btw, plenty of people have offered to do servers for the forums over the years and while a few did actually go for it and create the server. it was left entirely up to that guy to get the files on there, everybody else just kept on uploading files to host sites... After a while the guy who owned the server got fed up of having to do all the work and users got fed up of only getting 10kbs dl speed (when 30 or so people all hit the server at the same time the server speed was terrible)
So it just faded away.

Yes its annoying that lots of file links are now dead, but in all honesty, you are about 5 years too late, to the party. FoF itself hasnt been updated or even worked on in about 8 years. And when was the last time anyone saw a major update for FOFix??
The heyday for FoF was about 5 years ago, when 99% of all the links were still active (you can thank the FBI for that problem) and people were still doing lots of development on mods and themes, but all that has slowed right down over the following years.. the only thing that keeps this place going as much as it is, is the fact the users keep coming back..

Oh and finally.. Your first and only post on this site, is asking for total control over all of the songs !!! i doubt anyone would go for that.. Nobody knows who you are or what your real intentions are, for all we know you could be someone who intends to just snaffle all the songs up then vanish never to be seen again, NOBODY would take that risk with an unknown user..
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
TrojanNemo

Postby TrojanNemo » Wed May 06, 2015 3:52 pm

While I agree with most of what you said there, I can't agree with this as a valid concern really:

nobby76 wrote:users got fed up of only getting 10kbs dl speed (when 30 or so people all hit the server at the same time the server speed was terrible)

That sounds like that user had a crappy server. C3 users can download at several MB/s even with multiple users downloading. But I guess the difference in tech from 5+ years to now might be making a difference.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:32 pm

TrojanNemo wrote:That sounds like that user had a crappy server. C3 users can download at several MB/s even with multiple users downloading. But I guess the difference in tech from 5+ years to now might be making a difference.

It was fine if 10 or so users were trying to DL stuff all at once. but if you had more than about 30 or so users all happen to hit the server at once, then obviously it had to spit its total DL speed between them which made a big impact.
And nowadays even if just 1% of our total users tried to hit a server at the same time, thats still over 3000 users at once. if you are running a little rinky dinky home server then thats gonna make something crash to a halt . Although if it was a professional service (i presume thats what you guys on c3 use.. ive never noticed any kind of slow speeds when DL stuff from you) then that would make a big difference. From what i read into this, THIS guy has a rinky dinky home server...
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
TrojanNemo

Postby TrojanNemo » Thu May 07, 2015 1:23 pm

nobby76 wrote:From what i read into this, THIS guy has a rinky dinky home server...

Rinky dinky made me laugh out loud at work.
I pay for GoDaddy's highest tiered plan short of going to a VPS, which is ridiculously expensive. We've had our ups and downs with them, I wouldn't call them "professional", but they're definitely reliable enough for the relatively inexpensive price.

But yeah, you guys have a whole different ballpark amount of users compared to C3. No doubt.
fenrirson

Postby fenrirson » Thu May 07, 2015 2:04 pm

Wow!
That's quite a long (and unnecesary) rant there nobby.
You're right and wrong at the same tie about everything you said.
I won't close the poll, mainly because it will close itself on May 22nd, so it's kinda the same thing for me.
I really not that interested in the songs, that's copyrighted material and thus it represents a great risk, what I'm really interested is the themes, mods, and builds of the game, that I believe is a great shame to loose. I like the game a lot, used to play it here and there, never joined the community, because I didn't have anything to offer back then, now I take a look and find out all the themes, mods and other stuff is gone missing. I feel that at least the core of the game should be saved somehow, the songs might pose a more difficult challenge, but if the game exists, the songs can be generated again.
And as for the risks of the community, I mean, it's not like I'm going to erase the content everywhere else, I'm just offering a safe mirror, so the community may or may not take the risk to leave all the material in only one place, I'm not making any decisions on that.

As for being late, well, whatever, I really think that doesn't really matter, at all.

Anyway, I stated my intentions, really I have nothing else in mind, no obscure evil world domination plan that requires having complete control over a bunch of copyrighted material of a free indie game that's more than 10 years old.

See ya around.
R.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Fri May 08, 2015 2:50 pm

such a shame you cannot tell the difference between an explanation which is based around several previous experiences, and as you call it "a rant"
TrojanNemo wrote:I pay for GoDaddy's highest tiered plan short of going to a VPS, which is ridiculously expensive. We've had our ups and downs with them, I wouldn't call them "professional", but they're definitely reliable enough for the relatively inexpensive price.

Well by professional, i meant a company that handles that stuff for you, rather than just having a secondary computer sat under your bed :) I dunno about from your end, but as i said when ever ive DL'ed customs from C3 ive always had great speeds. so id say its handled well enough for the users at least
fenrirson

Postby fenrirson » Mon May 11, 2015 4:37 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry, I actually was not talking about that comment.
Actually I find that really useful, got me thinking about several things. I don't have a server sat under my bed as you refer so eagerly.
You assume a lot about very little information I gave, instead, you could, I don't know, ask.
Even so, technical details are not my concern right now, so even if I gave you a technical layout of what I have in mind, my main concern right now is if this is helpful/wanted or not, if there were any real interest, then I'd have to sort out a proper solution, so yeah, I'm not an amateur, please don't assume.
When I said a rant I meant the large comment starting with "Forget it, won't happen. might as well close the poll right now."
Please forgive me, my bad.

Return to “General FOF Discussion”