Open Song Database

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 10 years and 4 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
kapec94

Open Song Database

Postby kapec94 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:56 am

Hi guys. This is my first post here (probably), but I'm not really new. I've played FoF/GH for, well, quite a long time now and I don't mean to stop doing this. I've searched the forum a little and I found this:

Well, it more or less is. Even with Weirdpeople (<3, yo!) doing some work, the fact is the game hasn't seen any significant development or releases in a long time. Most of the central team has moved on, and rhythm gaming itself is a dying fad.

It's sad but it's true.

It really got me worried, because I've been seeing many signs of this death. I don't want it, because, well, many people still play this game. And it's not only about them, but about so much work so many people have put in songs and FoF/FoFiX itself.
But I think there's a way to prevent it. There's a lot of sites providing free code repositories like GitHub, Bitbucket, you name it. Growing popularity of human-and-machine readable text and data formats like Markdown, JSON and many others gave me an idea: instead of hosting MIDI files along with the guitar.ogg, which weighs A LOT, we could create a repository we'd store all the songs in such simple format (only notes and information, no music) to make it possible to make changes in songs, if there were be needed any. FeedBack .chart format would be good for the beginning I think. Pros are obvious: there's no file timeout on GitHub, people would have very easy way to contribute to songs, and as long as they already have music they want to play, download time would be much shorter and only thing they'd have to do is 'compile' chart to a FoF-readable format. If we additionally allow FoFiX to play songs directly from YouTube and/or read .chart files, well, this would be just awesome. Cons are obvious as well: the amount of work to provide such database is just HUGE. We'd need this 'compiler', which ought have much more capabilities than Chart2Mid (searching for music, cropping it, syncing, converting etc), we'd need to prepare songs to commit to repository (decide who's version will be better, merge different instrument tracks, etc.), although the last step could be done as well after starting the repo using the repo itself.

Well, I'm unfounded, because I haven't done anything towards this project to make it run, but thinking of it (and fretting few songs), still I find myself to be a not bad programmer and I bet some of you guys would help as well.
But... What do you think?
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Re: Open Song Database

Postby nwru » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Hi kapec94. Sorry I didn't see your topic until now.

I like your ideas and commend your motivation. Any efforts towards preserving the hard work of our charters would go a long way for the rest of the community.

fretsonfire.org may or may not be able to handle the hosting of the chart files and the compiling part, so that's another option. Handling those other aspects (better version, merging tracks, etc.) can be difficult and should be worked out ahead of time.

Take a look at a similar topic of mine. It was initially intended to just be a centralized database of songs, but these days it could be just as helpful for archival/preservation reasons. viewtopic.php?t=39923

:thumbup:
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki

Return to “General FOF Discussion”