It's finally over!

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 12 years and 1 month old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
~Psychotic~

Re: It's finally over!

Postby ~Psychotic~ » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:48 pm

binomialboy wrote:
~Psychotic~ wrote:A somewhat unrelated question: What were these "data storage" methods you used to partially protect yourself from any criminal charges?

Oh, I put anything incriminating on a flash drive, which I had in a bank safe I rented, so as not to have it in my house while they searched.

Hrm, interesting idea, but did they actually warn you they were coming over? That seems pretty counter-intuitive.
A Taco Salad
binomialboy

Postby binomialboy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:03 am

~Psychotic~ wrote:
binomialboy wrote:
~Psychotic~ wrote:A somewhat unrelated question: What were these "data storage" methods you used to partially protect yourself from any criminal charges?

Oh, I put anything incriminating on a flash drive, which I had in a bank safe I rented, so as not to have it in my house while they searched.

Hrm, interesting idea, but did they actually warn you they were coming over? That seems pretty counter-intuitive.

They had to acquire justified suspicion for a search warrant within the bounds of the law. As soon as I noticed my IP being tracked (surprisingly, actually legal for them to do), I went about storing my data.
See a list of all my charts here!

Also, if you like my work, and want to support me so I can stop eating ramen, feel free to donate. Donations of >$20 will net you a commission (any song you want, guitar and bass, guaranteed quality), and >$50 gets you a three song pack (but I'll be reasonable, nobody's going to do that...)

Dik

Postby Dik » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:01 am

binomialboy wrote:I bet a lot of you ar... (due to very careful data storage on my part), and... all the splitting up of data I had to do, so...

You do realize that topic post, if they were to ever find it, would give them a good excuse to re-open investigations and be more thorough, I mean this topic post is kinda like a semi-confession, and whenever these sorta people say 'case closed', they usually still keep an eye on you for a while.
A Taco Salad
binomialboy

Postby binomialboy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:19 pm

Wow, I can't believe I didn't even think of that. . . I feel a bit stupid. Could a mod delete this topic?
See a list of all my charts here!

Also, if you like my work, and want to support me so I can stop eating ramen, feel free to donate. Donations of >$20 will net you a commission (any song you want, guitar and bass, guaranteed quality), and >$50 gets you a three song pack (but I'll be reasonable, nobody's going to do that...)

Dik

Postby Dik » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:47 pm

binomialboy wrote:Wow, I can't believe I didn't even think of that. . . I feel a bit stupid. Could a mod delete this topic?

Lulz, should I help you, or would I be 'perverting the coarse of justice'?
meh, what the hell; go to 'Edit', check the 'Delete Post' check-box, then click 'Submit' . :wink:

If I were you, I'd keep all incriminating files here-onwards, not in a folder, but in an ENCRYPTED .tar.gz (a type of multiple file compression), access whenever you want, but keep it stored on a (easily destroyable and hide-able) MicroSD card, but always keep a backup on a Flash Drive (keep the backup locked up somewhere well away and hidden from your regular location) as MicroSD cards are notoriously un-reliable (they have a habit of corrupting every once-in-a-while, and corrupt more and easier than Flash Drives) :cool:

...in future please respond with the 'quote' button so I'm notified of a response, I could have easily missed your reply.

If you want/need any-more advice, feel free to PM me. :smile:
DJOlafur

Postby DJOlafur » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:37 am

Just get Linux, use the encryption on there.

Worst case, they come over to your house, your pc is either on or off, either way, doesn't take but a couple seconds TOPS to get the thingy locked down, and they'll never be able to decrypt your data.

Anyway.

I'm so happy to live in Iceland.

When/if the whole copyright thing gets a green light (in the united states) us, the internet users here, will probably give up on "international" internet, not that i'm paranoid, but i expect it to happen. soon.

Acta has already gone through in the US, you know that, right?
Not sure wether it was part of the agreement that went through, but the introduction video to acta was that isp's were supposed to be "forced" to monitor everyone's data.

Not that they can really have a close look, but they'll be forced to "get curious" should there be an immense rate of p2p dataflow.
And yes, they can see if you're transferring normal data, (http/ftp or p2p).

I Hope that doesn't scare anyone, but it should make people more aware.
Get a better storage host for public files, one that isn't located in the united states, or any country that has put the acta agreement through.

On a sidenote, i think alot of people who hosted files on megaupload are kinda f-word-ed.
if you've made a fret for this game, or are working on it, drop me a message and i'll try to get you a HIGH Quality Song to work with...
Dik

Postby Dik » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:24 pm

DJOlafur wrote:Just get Linux, use the encryption on there...

Linux is awesome, in-fact I use a version of it as my main OS on all my computers, I also like to play around with a few other versions it ans-well. :thumbup:

Linux isn't always the answer though, especially not completely the answer in this case, but Linux is always a plus for anything, you're hearin' this from a pro IT Technician. :smile:

Return to “General FOF Discussion”