Good charts for practising?

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 12 years and 9 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
back from the dead
thebocaj

Good charts for practising?

Postby thebocaj » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:29 am

Okay, I'm just looking for charts that would do well in helping me get better at playing. Preferably stuff not too far beyond my current skill level (I can just about pass Dark Matter, can consistently pass Soul Of A Robot and everything on GH5/6 and RB1/2. Can't 2h-tap for s**t, but I'm alright at 1h-tapping. Can pass every song in PH4 up to This Dying Soul.).

tl;dr version: ITT: Tell me some charts that are good for training.
My Charts:
I · II · III · IV · V · VI · Clone Hero conversions
bogoblin

Re: Good charts for practising?

Postby bogoblin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:25 pm

Try some songs from (Rock band) tiers 4 and 5. These songs are easy enough to play, but hard enough to be rewarding. Also, make sure you play songs you like and enjoy playing.
I dig.
xYDGx

Postby xYDGx » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:01 pm

Try practicing "Eruption" from GH:VH for tapping. That's what like 90% of the song is, and once you understand the patterns it's a lot simpler than the flood of notes would lead you to believe. You might have to play at lower speeds in practice a few times to get to that point, but once you do it's a great training tool.

I'm sure there's probably a better song for tap-training somewhere, but that's the first one that comes to mind.
Song Thread
Newest: Cro-Mags - "Hard Times" + Stick to Your Guns - "This is More"
Feedback is appreciated!

A Day to Remember - For Those Who Have Heart album (W.I.P., Guitar Charters Wanted!)
Alter Bridge fanboy
NatchIsSoup

Postby NatchIsSoup » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:26 pm

Well what skills in specific are you looking to improve on? Alt-strumming, tapping, trills, ascending triplets, descending triplets, chord changes, zig-zags, etc?
mogwais

Postby mogwais » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:16 pm

If you have charts that are giving you trouble now (such as the stuff you can barely pass/almost pass) then just work on those instead. You don't need something new if there's still more to work on now. New charts could work I guess... but I just dunno if it would be as efficient.

I actually don't know the songs you mentioned... how hard they are, who they're by, genre, or anything like that.. But maybe some Children of Bodom? They've always been an artists who put out charts which cover a wide range of difficulties in one song. Testament had some other stuff that was pretty hard too, but I personally thought it was a lot more challenging that most of the CoB stuff. That's the stuff I used back when I was playing hard charts to make me better.

Dragonforce is always an option. They have crazy wtf parts here and there but they're not as intense as people make them out to be in my opinion. Their songs are great for breaking down part by part and working on. Of course the intro to Gh3 TTFaF is a good one for tapping, but I used GH3 Impulse more for tap practice than ttfaf.

It seriously seems faster/better to grind improvement song section by song section instead of song by song. But grinding only goes so far and just having fun while you play will make things easier than jumping into songs that you feel like you kill yourself at.
My song thread! Updated daily!Over 70 Songs!
Crystal Castles Album!
Current Goals
-Complete all of the song awards in the World Starpower Chart (wembly)
-Obtain a total of 2000 gold stars
-Have a combined total of 1000 downloads of the charts I've made (currently 500-600)
Sh*tty Guitarist
Shredin0id

Postby Shredin0id » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:02 am

xYDGx wrote:Try practicing "Eruption" from GH:VH for tapping. That's what like 90% of the song is, and once you understand the patterns it's a lot simpler than the flood of notes would lead you to believe. You might have to play at lower speeds in practice a few times to get to that point, but once you do it's a great training tool.

I'm sure there's probably a better song for tap-training somewhere, but that's the first one that comes to mind.
For tapping, an easier song than Eruption would be "Departed" by As I Lay Dying. You can download it from Puppetz Hero IV. After You've got it down, then try Eruption.
back from the dead
thebocaj

Postby thebocaj » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:30 am

NatchIsSoup wrote:Well what skills in specific are you looking to improve on? Alt-strumming, tapping, trills, ascending triplets, descending triplets, chord changes, zig-zags, etc?

I can do alt-strumming fine, but all that other stuff, I'm not as good at. Two-handed tapping and trills I can't do for s**t, but for the other 4, I can only really do simple patterns well. In other words, my right hand is generally better at FoF.
My Charts:
Alter Bridge fanboy
NatchIsSoup

Postby NatchIsSoup » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:25 am

For two-handed tapping, I suggest the TTFAF intro. Obvious yes, but it actually is really good practice. I practiced the intro over and over until I could consistently FC it and it helped me become significantly better at tapping. For triplets, there's tons of songs, but if you have Rock Band, I suggest Warriors of Time. It's chock-full of triplets of different speeds and it's really good for practicing triplets.

Another song I suggest is the Super Meat Boy Forest Boss Theme, in the last tier of my Hero. It's got alt-strumming, two-hand tapping, chord changes, and zig-zags.
back from the dead
thebocaj

Postby thebocaj » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Did a bit of playing earlier, mostly songs from Bocaj Hero II. To anyone else who is interested, I found that Queen Of Desire is good practise for trills.

Fortunately I'm starting to get used to the extreme lag that I get from playing sustains, but obviously that won't exactly help for making videos.
My Charts:
mogwais

Postby mogwais » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:30 am

It's been forever since I've played Eruption.. But if I remember correctly, I don't think it would be good two hand tap practice for somebody who is just learning it. The tap parts were pretty fast and I was better off just going at it one hand because I'm also not great at tapping (but I can do a bit).

I guess the best practice would find easy songs that are super HOPOy and tap parts everything you can even if you could hit it one handed.
My song thread! Updated daily!Over 70 Songs!
Crystal Castles Album!
Current Goals
-Complete all of the song awards in the World Starpower Chart (wembly)
-Obtain a total of 2000 gold stars
-Have a combined total of 1000 downloads of the charts I've made (currently 500-600)
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:12 am

I learned to tap by playing Puppetz's first Fury of the Storm chart with the widest possible hit window and mashing the solo with both hands. It helps, I'm serious. Then you can apply the technique to other songs and such.

Quick tip for tapping as well: when I tap, I listen to how I play. Like I hit it extra hard to make sure it's lining up with the song. It's also how I do quick descending triplets I define each button press so I can hear how fast/slow I'm moving. Works really well for me.

Also: get the Yngwie pack from RB DLC if you don't already have it. Really great mix of fun songs there. Megadeth's Peace Sells album has a lot of variety as well.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
I dig.
xYDGx

Postby xYDGx » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:25 am

mogwais wrote:It's been forever since I've played Eruption.. But if I remember correctly, I don't think it would be good two hand tap practice for somebody who is just learning it. The tap parts were pretty fast and I was better off just going at it one hand because I'm also not great at tapping (but I can do a bit).

Just looked it up on YouTube to make sure I know what I'm talking about.

It's a little faster than I remembered, and most of it is one hand tapping, but there's a good 30-second section of two-handed tapping a little over a minute in, which is what I was thinking of. It's a good 30% of the song, and the rest of it could still be moderately useful for general practice, so my recommendation stands. Although you might want to try it at 75% speed the first few times.

Here's a video if you (or anybody else for that matter, I guess) are interested, Bocaj:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQywMg_F39c

"Spanish Fly" and "Hot for Teacher" (also from GH:VH) have some decent (although short) two handed tap sections to practice, too. If you found "Eruption" useful, look into them as well.
Song Thread
Newest: Cro-Mags - "Hard Times" + Stick to Your Guns - "This is More"
Feedback is appreciated!

A Day to Remember - For Those Who Have Heart album (W.I.P., Guitar Charters Wanted!)
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:28 pm

I just sat there on Expert playing the solo for One (Metallica) 30 million times.

For real tho, I played and played and played for years and I just stopped. Then I started again and I was way better. lol

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.

Return to “General FOF Discussion”