Rock Band Pro MIDI & Tech Info Discussion

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 12 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
THE HYPNOTOAD!
thekiwimaddog

Rock Band Pro MIDI & Tech Info Discussion

Postby thekiwimaddog » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:21 pm

I'm hoping this thread will be a place to discuss the Rock Band 3 Pro MIDI Standard and all relating technical information.

Please feel free to challenge any info in this thread and if found true I will change it accordingly.

Pro Guitar MIDI Standard

Spoiler:Note Positions

Fret Note Markers
Fret numbers are noted by their Velocity minus 100.
As such a Note with Velocity 113 would be Fret 13.

Special Note Markers
Note are marked by their MIDI Channel Number.
CH0: Normal Note
CH1: Ghost Note
CH3: Muted Note

Note Phrases
Star Power
Note 116 ( no change from RB1 or 2 )
Solo
Note 115
Arpeggio Section
Note 104

Slides
(the velocity values are quite odd, I can't seem to make out what it is referencing)
Easy Note 31
Medium Note 55
Hard Note 79
Expert Note 103

Forced HOPO's
Easy Note 30
Medium Note 54
Hard Note 78
Expert Note 102

Possible Strum Direction Markers - Not yet proven
This seems to affect the white bar at the bottom of a chord.
Note 105 (velocity and channel number are at work here)
---

XBOX 360 Mustang Pro Guitar Technical Information

Spoiler:Summery

The Fret and String signals are compressed into 6 Axis represented by the standard XBOX controller layout below.
The Trigger buttons are problematic as windows drivers merge them into a single axis which destroys the data when both are active.
As such X Input seems to be the only way without special drivers to get the correct data from this guitar.

The Data is arranged as follows:

Frets:

Code: Select all

e = ( ( HIBYTE( Left Thumb X ) & 124 ) >> 2 );
B = ( LOBYTE( Left Thumb X ) >> 5 ) + ( ( HIBYTE( Left Thumb X ) & 3 ) << 3 );
G = ( LOBYTE( Left Thumb X ) & 31 );
D = ( ( Right Trigger & 252 ) >> 2 );
A = ( Left Trigger >> 5 ) + ( ( Right Trigger & 3 ) << 3 );
E = ( Left Trigger & 31 );

Strings:

e = ( HIBYTE( Right Thumb Y ) & 127 );
B = ( LOBYTE( Right Thumb Y ) & 127 );
G = ( HIBYTE( Right Thumb X ) & 127 );
D = ( LOBYTE( Right Thumb X ) & 127 );
A = ( HIBYTE( Left Thumb Y ) & 127 );
E = ( LOBYTE( Left Thumb Y ) & 127 );

Coloured Buttons:

Green = ( LOBYTE( Left Thumb Y ) & 128 );
Red = ( HIBYTE( Left Thumb Y ) & 128 );
Yellow = ( LOBYTE( Right Thumb X ) & 128 );
Blue = ( HIBYTE( Right Thumb X ) & 128 );
Orange = ( LOBYTE( Right Thumb Y ) & 128 );

Guitar Tilt Signals
Currently it is not known how to get Tilt signals from this guitar correctly.
XInput does report a packet change when the guitar is tilted but no change in the controler state is detected.

More Information To Follow . . .
Last edited by thekiwimaddog on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
drihscol

Re: Rock Band Pro MIDI & Tech Info Discussion

Postby drihscol » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:46 am

I'm interested that muted notes show which fret they are on, would be nice to see tweaks showing muted notes with the appropriate numbers.
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bajnmkinaopofbfaopenlfooloknfjlf?hl=en-US

Spoiler:Bands I like

Pink Floyd
Dream Theater
Rush
Radiohead
The Pixies
The Doors
Elo
Ok Go
Jethro Tull
The Beatles
Pearl Jam
Alice In Chains

THE HYPNOTOAD!
thekiwimaddog

Postby thekiwimaddog » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:23 am

drihscol wrote:I'm interested that muted notes show which fret they are on, would be nice to see tweaks showing muted notes with the appropriate numbers.

Yea, this is odd as even in Guitar Tablatures the fret numbers are omitted.

David
drihscol

Postby drihscol » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:05 pm

I'm pretty sure there's a note for arpeggios, and a channel for tappable notes, ala jerry was a racecar driver bass.
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bajnmkinaopofbfaopenlfooloknfjlf?hl=en-US

Pink Floyd
Dream Theater
Rush
Radiohead
The Pixies
The Doors
Elo
Ok Go
Jethro Tull
The Beatles
Pearl Jam
Alice In Chains

THE HYPNOTOAD!
thekiwimaddog

Postby thekiwimaddog » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:37 pm

OK, from some more investigating I'm pretty sure that Note 102 is a Forced On HOPO Phrase Tag.
It also seems that during Slide Phrases any Frequency Based HOPO's are disregarded. As such I think that's why I'm seeing lots of Forced HOPO's arround Slide Phrases. However, I think there is more to the Forced HOPO Phrases as the Velocity values are not making much sense to me.
Can anyone see any songs which look like they might be have Forced Off HOPO's?? I haven't found any of these yet.

Regarding Slide Phrases, I'm a little unsure on how they opperate. There is no clear marker if they are to slide up or down. It could make sense that they slide towards the next note. But some slides don't finish with a strike of another note so there would need to be some kinda marker for this. I've seen that a couple of them have a channel of 12 but I can't see much consistancy in it.

Any Ideas Anyone?

Thanks
David
Last edited by thekiwimaddog on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE HYPNOTOAD!
thekiwimaddog

Postby thekiwimaddog » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:04 pm

OK, I think the Force HOPO Sections act as a invert. If the note is calculated as a HOPO by it's frequency and you want to overide it then this tag will or if it's not a HOPO then this will make it one. Scratch That!

Does anyone know if Hopo Chords Are Possible In RB3?? I can't think of much use for them as there are slide tags.

Thanks
David
drihscol

Postby drihscol » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:23 pm

thekiwimaddog wrote:OK, I think the Force HOPO Sections act as a invert. If the note is calculated as a HOPO by it's frequency and you want to overide it then this tag will or if it's not a HOPO then this will make it one. Scratch That!

Does anyone know if Hopo Chords Are Possible In RB3?? I can't think of much use for them as there are slide tags.

Thanks
David

well i haven't encountered any hopo chords, but you can tap the chords in jerry was a racecar driver.

Pink Floyd
Dream Theater
Rush
Radiohead
The Pixies
The Doors
Elo
Ok Go
Jethro Tull
The Beatles
Pearl Jam
Alice In Chains

THE HYPNOTOAD!
thekiwimaddog

Postby thekiwimaddog » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:17 am

raynebc wrote:Roundabout has a couple HOPO chords, for example, at 2:41 in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGoMYvNlbGc

I was talkling about in pro mode not basic guitar.

Thanks
David
beebe

Postby beebe » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:50 pm

thekiwimaddog wrote:
raynebc wrote:Roundabout has a couple HOPO chords, for example, at 2:41 in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGoMYvNlbGc

I was talkling about in pro mode not basic guitar.

Thanks
David

Well you can HOPO chords on a real guitar so most likely you can do it in pro mode.

Spoiler:

Image"I. F*cking. Love. Penguins!"

THE HYPNOTOAD!
thekiwimaddog

Postby thekiwimaddog » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:19 am

raynebc wrote:There's a slight discrepancy in that note 115 wasn't the solo phrase marker used for pre-RB3 charts, as per RBN documentation:
http://creators.rockband.com/spec/Guita ... o_Sections

Other than that, I haven't gotten far enough with the pro guitar MIDI import logic yet to confirm which phrase markers are what.

OK, I've changed the first post to nolonger say "no change from RB1 or 2".

Thanks
David
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:17 am

I spent a couple of hours examining the chart for "The Look" and have found the following:

Pre-defined chord numbers:

Chord A5: Marked with note #9
"The Look" at about 3s:
Delta file pos=0x180D1   Deltas=120   Real time=7715.488000ms   Delta time=5760   Adj. real time=7995.488000ms   Event file pos=0x180D2   Event: Note on (Channel=0): Note #=9, Velocity=123

Chord F: Marked with note #5
"The Look" at about 59.5s:
Delta file pos=0x18782   Deltas=0   Real time=59496.976000ms   Delta time=45120   Adj. real time=59776.976000ms   Event file pos=0x18783   Event: Note on (Channel=0): Note #=5, Velocity=127

Chord G or G5: Marked with note #7
"The Look" at about 1:00.5:
Delta file pos=0x187CB   Deltas=120   Real time=60764.134000ms   Delta time=46080   Adj. real time=61044.134000ms   Event file pos=0x187CC   Event: Note on (Channel=0): Note #=7, Velocity=127
"The Look" at about 2:15.284:
Delta file pos=0x19AFB   Deltas=0   Real time=135283.677000ms   Delta time=102720   Adj. real time=135563.677000ms   Event file pos=0x19AFC   Event: Note on (Channel=0): Note #=7, Velocity=127

Chord D5: Marked with note #14
"The Look" at about 3:22.222
Delta file pos=0x1A8DC   Deltas=0   Real time=202221.501000ms   Delta time=153600   Adj. real time=202501.501000ms   Event file pos=0x1A8DD   Event: Note on (Channel=0): Note #=14, Velocity=127

Normal pro guitar notes are sent over channel 0, muted notes are sent over channel 3.
Pro guitar notes sent over channel 2 are forced hammer ons.

I made a list of all slides I encountered in the song:

Note on (Channel=11): Note #=103, Velocity=109: Chord slide down, slide ends before next chord
Note on (Channel=0): Note #=103, Velocity=105: Chord slide down, slide ends before next chord
Note on (Channel=0): Note #=103, Velocity=103: Chord slide up, slide meets with next chord
Note on (Channel=0): Note #=103, Velocity=105: Muted note slide down, slide ends before next note
Note on (Channel=0): Note #=103, Velocity=102: Note slide up, slide ends before next chord
Note on (Channel=11): Note #=103, Velocity=109: Chord slide down, slide ends before next chord
Note on (Channel=0): Note #=103, Velocity=109: Note slide down, slide ends before next chord

Edit:
I missed a slide marker:
Note on (Channel=0): Note #=103, Velocity=107: Chord slide down, slide ends before next chord

Edit 2:
A spent an hour or so syncing and examining the chart for "Foolin'", and it revealed more stuff:

Pre-defined chord numbers:

Chord F5: Marked with note #5
Chord C5: Marked with note #12
Chord E5: Marked with note #4
Chord Bb5: Marked with note #10

Pro guitar tremolo phrases are marked with note 126
Pro guitar trill phrases are marked with note 127

New slide markers:

Note on (Channel=0): Note #=103, Velocity=106: Chord slide down, slide meets with next chord
Note on (Channel=0): Note #=103, Velocity=104: Chord slide down, slide meets with next chord
Note on (Channel=0): Note #=103, Velocity=112: Note slide down, slide ends before next chord
Note on (Channel=2): Note #=103, Velocity=108: Note slide down, slide ends before next note
Note on (Channel=0): Note #=103, Velocity=110: Note slide up, slide ends before next note
Note on (Channel=0): Note #=103, Velocity=115: Note slide down, slide ends before next note
THE HYPNOTOAD!
thekiwimaddog

Postby thekiwimaddog » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:06 pm

OK, I'll try and deal with these one at a time, first the chord names system.

I have also notced this in songs but I've found many exceptions to the rule where RB3 shows chord name changes but there is no notation in the MIDI within the 0-20 note range. A good example of this is Space Oddity. In RB3 the 3rd chord in the song is an Em4, but the MIDI does not show anything for it. However, it does shows possible markers for FM7/E and Em which lead me to believe at the time that I was barking up the wrong tree and that maybe these markers are infact animation triggers or something similer.
But then again it could be that these are chord names but the system is more involved than we think.

One thing that I had thought is that it might be possible that the 0-20 range is used as a general rule but the actual chart notes also play a part in it. I don't own the game so I'm not sure if the chord names change with the difficulty being played. This might explain why they might do it like this as if a chord is missed out in a lower difficulty or not fully formed then they might want to show a chord name that is simpler to not confuse the player.

Thanks
David

-- Edit: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:15 pm --

In regards to the Note Channel Number Info which I guess you use channel 0-15 instead of 1-16 which is why mine above are shifted.
I confirm all but the Forced Hammer On being Channel 2 (3 for me). Can you give me an example?

Thanks
David

Return to “General FOF Discussion”